Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 15:36   #5371
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post
Post no 3348

Sorry Simon but when did this change to...

"You may have seen that phorm are filming the whole event for the Web. Edited to suit themselves"
I feel Simon is also being used by the Phorm phenomina to help them gain reputation they haven't earned.

I do hope all will end up sorted out and the true colours of the phorm management highlighted for all to see.

There has been a lot of manipulation of words mainly from the phorm camp and phorm investers who I feel sorry for as they have the ost to lose if cases do go to court.

MPO is do not conphorm to phorm and let the ISPs and phorm be damned
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2008, 15:39   #5372
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I feel Simon is also being used by the Phorm phenomina to help them gain reputation they haven't earned.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 02-05-2008, 15:47   #5373
jca111
Inactive

jca111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sorry Simon but when did this change to...

"You may have seen that phorm are filming the whole event for the Web. Edited to suit themselves"
Simon, you appear to be getting messed around by the clients you represent. Sometimes in business the wisest thing to do is to resign a client. This is often hard, because you can see the revenue being lost etc (particularly when just setting out). I've had to do it in the past, and I feel you really should be doing this now. It can hurt - but in the long run it can be beneficial.
Old 02-05-2008, 15:51   #5374
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

No offence intended jca111 but I don't really think we are in a position to suggest how Simon runs his company. Plus he already made a clear statement on how they make a judgement on whether or not to drop a client and under what circumstances that could happen.

Alexander Hanff
Old 02-05-2008, 15:58   #5375
jca111
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
No offence intended jca111 but I don't really think we are in a position to suggest how Simon runs his company. Plus he already made a clear statement on how they make a judgement on whether or not to drop a client and under what circumstances that could happen.

Alexander Hanff
I don't see why we can't. We are trying to tell BT, VM and Phorm how to do their business. We are asking BT and VM to drop Phorm, so I dont see why we cannot do the same for 80/20 thinking. The more companies that distance themselves from Phorm the better as far as I am concerned.

One of the arguments for VM distancing themselves from Phorm is to do with reputation. Surely this also apples to 80/20?

Whether 80/20 want to keep phorm or not is up to them, but i see no difference with the tarnished reputations than that of VM.
Old 02-05-2008, 16:01   #5376
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

There is a difference between asking a company you have a contract with not to fiddle with your data or service in illegal and immoral ways and telling Simon to drop a client (who you have no contract with). I am not trying to start an argument, I just think people get a little emotional about the 80/20 Thinking - Phorm relationship. That is fine, I appreciate people are concerned about the entire issue but it displaces focus from the real issue which is the Phorm technology and the ISPs plans to deploy it.

Alexander Hanff
Old 02-05-2008, 16:08   #5377
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
There is a difference between asking a company you have a contract with not to fiddle with your data or service in illegal and immoral ways and telling Simon to drop a client (who you have no contract with). I am not trying to start an argument, I just think people get a little emotional about the 80/20 Thinking - Phorm relationship. That is fine, I appreciate people are concerned about the entire issue but it displaces focus from the real issue which is the Phorm technology and the ISPs plans to deploy it.

Alexander Hanff
I don't agree one bit with your statement Alex, you voice your opinion and others voice theirs. Who are you to criticise others for speaking their mind?

However it may be worth pointing out the benefits of keeping Simon and 80/20 on side in the debate as a go-between. 80/20 have a unique relationship with Phorm, and they listen to us on the forums too. A counter argument to the argument 80/20 should drop their client.
Old 02-05-2008, 16:10   #5378
80/20Thinking
Inactive

80/20Thinking is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
I agree with Alexander's assessment. And I made it clear many times that one way or the other we will see this process through to the end. It's the right thing to do, and it's entirely appropriate to our role.

Simon
Old 02-05-2008, 16:10   #5379
jca111
Inactive

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
I'm afraid I just don't agree! I love what your doing, I really do - but we obviously just don't see eye-to-eye on this one. Sorry Alex.
Old 02-05-2008, 16:13   #5380
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

I have to agree with Alexander here we can think what we like and when it comes to if phorm goes live what you will do personally yourself for your data I moved ISPs yes it was costly to put a BT line in to move. I will be tied to an 18month phone line contract but I am where phorm cannot get to my data so it was worth every penny.

It is up to Simon and his conscience that can only decide his path with phorm after all if he makes many believe this is good and end of the day my theory is correct and they do use everyone’s internet connections and PC’s for immoral, illegal acts then it is all those who convinced people it was safe that carry the can.
Old 02-05-2008, 16:18   #5381
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

That's fine, the world would be boring if we all agreed with each other all of the time and like I said I am not trying to start and argument or offend anyone.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

As I have said in the past I would rather a company with a highly respected board in the realms of Privacy do the Phorm PIA than some start-up just out to make a quick buck off the new ICO advisement on PIAs. That's just my opinion and I appreciate other's might think differently.

Alexander Hanff
Old 02-05-2008, 16:18   #5382
jca111
Inactive

Quote:
That's fine, the world would be boring if we all agreed with each other all of the time and like I said I am not trying to start and argument or offend anyone.

Alexander Hanff
Me neither - so big hugs all round
Old 02-05-2008, 16:19   #5383
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca111 View Post
Me neither - so big hugs all round
Hehehe

Alexander Hanff
Old 02-05-2008, 16:20   #5384
windowcleaner
Inactive

windowcleaner is an unknown quantity at this point

found this

http://www.trustguide.org.uk/Trustgu...l%20Report.pdf
Old 02-05-2008, 16:26   #5385
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/20Thinking View Post
I agree with Alexander's assessment. And I made it clear many times that one way or the other we will see this process through to the end. It's the right thing to do, and it's entirely appropriate to our role.

Simon
I can see where you are coming from but you also have to see where we are coming from.

Kent has a bad reputation he earned this reputation and I personally had to remove one of his rootkits from my sons PC. MPO no computer of mine will come into contact with his equipment hence I moved. I personally wouldn't stay with BT, VM or Talktalk if this was released.

Listening to him on click and the attitude he displayed didn't make me change my views. The contempt was visible for the internet users, to him we are not people with a mind or brain we are a number to be milked dry like a cow..

Infect he did say something which if true makes my theory more relevant when the pony theory was used for advert and wife sharing pc. Kent said a few pony adverts amongst a lot of irrelevant ones wouldn't stand out...

So ok why are they forcing phorm down our throats since the adverts are irrelevant not targeted as we are led to believe..

The longer this goes on the more inaccuracies are noticed in what is said and what is supposed to happen. If the British government do not bring to justice those guilty of using live connections with a company like phorm, while they had no data protection licence and no control over the scripting or handling of the machines in use the better for all concerned.
Closed Thread