Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 14:14   #5356
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmer View Post
Kent’s contemptuous attitude towards users implying they needed Phorm to nanny them because they are too stupid to know how to switch IE7’s phishing protection on will go down very badly.
IE7 makes a big deal about phising protection and how to switch it on or off on first install. Not sure how that works on a computer with it pre-installed but I imagine it asks.
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2008, 14:14   #5357
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

more at the reg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/02/phorm_logo/
Old 02-05-2008, 14:16   #5358
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

First reported here a few days ago, I believe

Old 02-05-2008, 14:16   #5359
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

OK News Time.

The Video from the PIA Public Meeting
I have spoken to Simon today on the phone and he has explained that Phorm are the responsible party with regards the video. The video was arranged and paid for by Phorm and 80/20 Thinking were not involved in that aspect of the event. He has promised to get someone at Phorm on the phone in the next hour to get a definitive statement as to what is going on. He also apologises to everyone as he feels he should have been less ambiguous on the Event notice with regards to who was responsible for the video. I will be posting an official statement either from Simon or from Phorm before the end of the day.

The Final PIA Report
Simon has been waiting on some information from ISPs in order to complete the report. He has assured me that his intention is to sign off on the report within the next week.

I will be talking to Simon again later this afternoon/early evening, so I will make sure I keep you all updated.

Alexander Hanff
Old 02-05-2008, 14:29   #5360
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Thanks Alexander, I am not suprised that the video is on phorm hands you can be sure it will never see daylight.. The publish and be damned was all Kent bravardo talk that came back and bit his backside.. We must have come over on the tape much better and more organised than he thought we would be. Hope simon can see he is just a pawn in Kents game for total domination of the internet to gain the power the pcs can vent on his enemies.. He knows how to use the force of the web for bad but needs enough PC's in the net to give it enough clout to do damage. Well that is MPO since pc's in the UK are worth £100 to websites that infect them with a trojen..
Old 02-05-2008, 14:30   #5361
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
OK News Time.

Phorm are the responsible party with regards the video. The video was arranged and paid for by Phorm and 80/20 Thinking were not involved in that aspect of the event.
Well that's a shock isn't it? (NOT!!!) Abandon all hope of unedited content my friends!

I would say Abandon all hope, full stop! ...but for the fact that Alexander is doing such a good job.

Can't wait to see the Click vid

Hank

Old 02-05-2008, 14:36   #5362
The Other Steve
Inactive

The Other Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
OK News Time.

I have spoken to Simon today on the phone and he has explained that Phorm are the responsible party with regards the video. The video was arranged and paid for by Phorm and 80/20 Thinking were not involved in that aspect of the event.

Alexander Hanff
I just hate when I let my optimism get the better of my paranoia and it turns out that the paranoia was correct all along. That explains everything, and confirms the speculation of various of the posters here w/r/t delaying tactics.

Old 02-05-2008, 14:47   #5363
80/20Thinking
Inactive

80/20Thinking is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

first, sincere apologies for my recent absence from the forums. This has been a week from hell, traveling extensively and dealing with other deadlines.

Many thanks again to Alexander, who, as alwaysm has been a star.

Just to reiterate what Alexander reported, 80/20 had no role in recording the public meeting. Our job was simply to organise the venue and speakers. I'm afraid I can't tell you any more about the video or any schedule for its release or otherwise. Right at the moment our key issue is securing information from the ISP's so we can complete the PIA.

We do need to have the PIA finalised soon. We've had some extremely valuable input from so many people and we continue to receive this input. My hope is that we can bring this part of the process to a conclusion fairly promptly so everyone can consider how to move forward.

Best wishes

Simon
Old 02-05-2008, 14:49   #5364
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Steve View Post
I just hate when I let my optimism get the better of my paranoia and it turns out that the paranoia was correct all along. That explains everything, and confirms the speculation of various of the posters here w/r/t delaying tactics.

It is important never to allow emotion to cloud our objectivity so I don't think you were wrong to be optimistic. Granted, on this occasion there do appear to be concerns and I am as concerned about it as all of you, especially given that the public have not seen the questions and answers panel yet.

Of course there is still a chance the video will be released.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Thanks for the update Simon.

Alexander Hanff
Old 02-05-2008, 14:55   #5365
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

With the latest info re the video footage I think we have even more reason to be grateful to captjamie for recording all that he did. Also grateful to Simon for the much needed clarification and update.
Old 02-05-2008, 14:58   #5366
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Hi Simon welcome back knowing the ISPs and how they tend to rush to respond all I can suggest is don't book any holidays..

Old 02-05-2008, 15:02   #5367
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
With the latest info re the video footage I think we have even more reason to be grateful to captjamie for recording all that he did. Also grateful to Simon for the much needed clarification and update.
But I heard the interesting bit came at the end, the bit where Kent aparently had a face-off with Charles Arthur, Kent maintaining that The Guardian did not drop Phorm (so I'm told by a friend who visited).

Why oh why did Phorm maintain control of the video footage. I really thought and believed 80/20 were getting pressurized into witholding because it doesn't take 2 1/2 weeks to mix 2 camera angles.

Obviously this is a good strategy from Phorm because by now we've all been waiting so long that no-one really cares. The journos have written their piece and as a few posters on Badphorm claim Emma Sanderson and co are just waiting for the fuss to die down (although a few interesting posts on iii and badphorm claiming technical troubles too at BT)...
Old 02-05-2008, 15:08   #5368
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Simon, thanks for the clarification.

Would you still describe Kent's attidude as 'publish and be damned'?

I think if it was known beforehand that Phorm were doing the video, a lot more people would have taken their own cam's.
Old 02-05-2008, 15:08   #5369
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Post no 3348

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/20Thinking View Post

You may have seen that we're filming the whole event for the Web. Unedited.
Sorry Simon but when did this change to...

"You may have seen that phorm are filming the whole event for the Web. Edited to suit themselves"
Old 02-05-2008, 15:26   #5370
SimonHickling
Inactive

SimonHickling is an unknown quantity at this point

Having been assured a response by the end of the week from BT, I've just sent the following

Quote:
It's getting awfully close to the weekend. I can now only assume that you're not going to respond in the same manner as BT are not responding to most people on this. Given that I think that you could have broken the law regarding my father's internet access, especially as I was at his house looking after him and using his BT connection, I may have to seek legal advice or approach the police. If his connection WAS part of the trial than you have illegally intercepted my traffic.

I hope I'm wrong and that you'll get back to me before the end of the day, but I have to admit, given the way BT have handled this so far I don't hold out much hope. Considering the amount of trialling and legal advice we are told you have, I find it difficult to understand how you can't give a quick straight answer to the questions I have raised.

I'm still copying these to the forum and expecting you to state either way whether you agree to your answers being posted.
Closed Thread