Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 21:13   #5296
fiddlestiques
Inactive

fiddlestiques is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Welcome GoldenBoar . Come on you lurkers, get behind the people who are sticking their necks out on our behalf. Whilst people like Alexander are self-motivated, you can't beat actually knowing that the support you have is growing. It may make all the difference.
You talkin' to me?</De Niro Voice>
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2008, 21:16   #5297
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasanonic View Post
I dugg this too. I know it's nearly cheating as a duplicate but still, the more the merrier eh? Dig in boys and girls.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Alexander_...e_Phorm_Trials
I've done whatever you call posting it on reddit too.

Shouldn't the past tense of "digg" be "dugg" rather than "digged"?

That's a rhetorical question btw
Old 01-05-2008, 21:26   #5298
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestiques View Post
You talkin' to me?</De Niro Voice>
I guess so punk </De Niro Voice> Welcome!
Old 01-05-2008, 21:38   #5299
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Front Porch use the same DPI Kit and interception as Phorm and NebuAd , but pass their data collection on to other Ad services rather than feed and run their own direct ad webwise type service.... as far as i understand at least...it may be different today?

i had not looked at Front Porch's tech details as yet as it was thought they hasnt got to the Uk at the time, but now it may need addressing!

this report is dated April 3rd 2001, have they been breaking the RIPA all this time (well since it became law)in the UK, how about the other laws in Alexanders PDF too, as they have been around far longer..

the linked page says they/Front Porch dont use cookies so that leaves direct ISP given (as per the EU data commissioners point) personal IP address as per the NebuAd way.....

mel on http://www.ispreview.co.u #24
"
Saw this news item from 2001 Front Porch Signs Major ISP; Madasafish Subscribers to Gain Enriched Experience With Personalized Content Delivery posted on badphorm!

Why Phorm Webwise is Bad
"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._3/ai_72690188
"Front Porch Signs Major ISP; Madasafish Subscribers to Gain Enriched Experience With Personalized Content Delivery

Business Wire, April 3, 2001

SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 3, 2001
Front Porch Inc., a developer of intelligent network services that enable ISPs to distribute personalized content to Internet users, broadened its online media network by signing one of Europe's fastest growing ISPs, London-based Madasafish.

Under the terms of the contract, Front Porch and Madasafish will partner to manage the ISP's entire advertising inventory utilizing Front Porch's anonymous, cookie-free user profiling and content insertion system.

Madasafish has become known in Europe not only for its youthful and funky brand appeal but for its unique marketing approach that encourages its members to define the types of services and information available including music, movies and games.....
"
Old 01-05-2008, 21:41   #5300
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
Fair point about Simon maybe not being his own webmaster. My main issue is that the longer this takes the more suspicious I am. We have already seen a big change in tactics from Phorm and the PR Team who no longer post.
<SNIPPED>
The longer we wait for the footage to be uploaded and the longer we wait for any concrete announcement of when it will be uploaded the more suspicious I become as to the reasons for the delay.

Given Kents attitude at the meeting and what Alexander has said about Kents attitude during the click interview I am concerned. This is the main reason I am wary about any further delay.
Too right... Appreciating that inserting video into a web page is a bit more than standard HTML, they have managed to update the Events page of the 80/20 Thinking website to show their launch date in London. Does editing some video reaallly take so long though?

I'm grateful that others took cameras along. It could simply be that they hoped saying that it would be filmed and uploaded would reduce the chances of anyone else bothering. By saying that I do NOT mean a slurr on Simon of 80/20, however like many of us I think it's fair enough that we now have to believe that the content is being deliberately stalled.

Stalled because 80/20 Thinking is not able to publish and not due to technical reasons but because they are under contract which prevents them perhaps?

Yes, I agree with other posts here... behind the scenes there are disagreements on the best next steps and I hope that Simon gets paid because he seems a decent fellow who is being tarnished by the association with K*nt's business.

Get digging all!

http://digg.com/tech_news/Legal_Anal...7_Phorm_Trials
http://digg.com/tech_news/Alexander_...e_Phorm_Trials

Hank

Old 01-05-2008, 21:53   #5301
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I have left a message on Simon's voicemail, so hopefully he will call back tonight or tomorrow.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

It is currently on page 6 of most popular articles (need about 160 diggs to get it to page 1) in the technology section.

So we still need to muster up some more diggs. Once the article hit's page 1 of the technology section the "Digg Effect" should kick in and we will see the number of diggs rapidly increase to possibly make it onto the main Digg front page.

Having had an article reach Digg front page in the past I can tell you from experience it is an overwhelming effect. My internet connection was saturated for 2 days straight whilst diggers tried to access my blog (which was hosted at home).

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-05-2008, 21:56   #5302
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

The click item appears to be out.
Follow the link from :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/7375772.stm

Starts around 13.30, after the facebook stuff
Old 01-05-2008, 22:02   #5303
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
The click item appears to be out.
Follow the link from :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/7375772.stm

Starts around 13.30, after the facebook stuff
I never have any luck with the BBC inline player so I will have to wait for the iPlayer version to come online. Can you give me a brief summary of the piece?

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-05-2008, 22:05   #5304
Paul Delaney

I have noticed a distinct change in Kent's attitude based on the last time he personally responded in the comments of one of The Register's Phorm Articles:

Home Office defends 'dangerously misleading' Phorm thumbs-up
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...phorm_fipr_bt/

In the "Comments"

Quote:
Third world country tries to repress leading edge technology
By Anonymous Coward
Posted Saturday 26th April 2008 17:44 GMT

And the rest of the world is laughing at the UK. Look at Google - they store IP addresses and search words. And you gather into your self appointed posse and scream " oh yes, but I have a choice" well make your fcking choice and don't use BT or Virgin - go and pay more for an inferior service at a second rate ISP who wont subsidise his service with advertising. Go put your money where your mouth's are and stop wining!!

Suddenly we are no longer a handful of geeks an insignificant paranoid minority - we are the UK!

Old 01-05-2008, 22:08   #5305
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I never have any luck with the BBC inline player so I will have to wait for the iPlayer version to come online. Can you give me a brief summary of the piece?

Alexander Hanff

never fear Alexander, use the direct url and VLC in linux
mms://wm-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/science_nature/
video/170000/bb/170455_16x9_bb.wmv

flipping long unbroken urls ;(

ill re-edit it after you get it and break it down to fit the page better in a minute

broken down to fit the page better, so any other readers wanting to use it cut and paste the whole line and re-asemble it to use...

care of Pasanonic #5312
http://tinyurl.com/6jejsq

but some hosts files block tinyurl.com etc due to bad links in the past, as mine does, so i leave both forms available as a choice....
Old 01-05-2008, 22:10   #5306
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post

Alexander Hanff
Well done Alexander. The piece was obviously heavily edited.

It started with a lot of stock phorm guff giving their view of how it worked.

As you predicted, they could not show much of the interview without showing a 'raging Kent' and unfortunately that's what they did. It was quite tame.

The interviewer asked you to shake hands at the end etc, and indicated he was all 'hot and flustered', but if you had not have told us about Kent's behaviour, I wouldn't have known why.

All in all it was very tame. Other people may have things to add.
Old 01-05-2008, 22:10   #5307
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Thanks popper

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-05-2008, 22:13   #5308
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Click: K*nt looked as sincere and trustworthy as Bill Clinton with a cigar...hope you counted yr fingers after shaking hands.
Old 01-05-2008, 22:36   #5309
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
Front Porch use the same DPI Kit and interception as Phorm and NebuAd , but pass their data collection on to other Ad services rather than feed and run their own direct ad webwise type service.... as far as i understand at least...it may be different today?"
Front Porch differs from Phorm in two important respects. First, their origins were as an honest ISP and not as a malware parasite. Second, they have kept a low profile (or so a Google search would indicate). That probably explains the lack of controversy to date.

Indeed it isn't clear exactly what their product does: does it simply look at IP addresses/domains, or does it rip the data envelopes open and carry out deep packet inspection? My view is that either way, it is wrong, but if it sticks to IP addresses and doesn't inspect data then we'd keep the campaign better focussed by sticking to those products which are more intrusive such as Phorm.

Notwithstanding that, I think there's a case for madasafish to answer: why is their implementation of Front Porch opt-out rather than opt-in?
Old 01-05-2008, 22:39   #5310
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
Front Porch use the same DPI Kit and interception as Phorm and NebuAd , but pass their data collection on to other Ad services rather than feed and run their own direct ad webwise type service.... as far as i understand at least...it may be different today?

i had not looked at Front Porch's tech details as yet as it was thought they hasnt got to the Uk at the time, but now it may need addressing!

this report is dated April 3rd 2001, have they been breaking the RIPA all this time (well since it became law)in the UK, how about the other laws in Alexanders PDF too, as they have been around far longer..

the linked page says they/Front Porch dont use cookies so that leaves direct ISP given (as per the EU data commissioners point) personal IP address as per the NebuAd way.....

mel on http://www.ispreview.co.u #24
"
<snip>
"
Well as BT acquired Madasafish in mid 2007 and Phorm claim to have an 'exclusive' deal with BT presumably FrontPorch got shown the door (ouch!)
Closed Thread