Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 19:02   #5266
Cogster
Inactive

Cogster is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post

Do these financial statements need to be signed off by auditors?

E&Y?
Indeed.. p12 of the AP. and I'm sure they are correct and in good order.. El Reg comment and quote would seem to be directed at the validity of parts of the Chairman's statement on p6.

What the law is regarding this i have no clue for IANAL.... (always wanted to say that)
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2008, 19:03   #5267
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting

Preliminary results 10th April

http://www.phorm.com/reports/Prelimi...0-Apr-2008.pdf

Tie in with VM quoted

Final results 30th April

http://www.phorm.com/reports/2007_Final_Results.pdf

No mention of VM

Auditors = Deloitte & Touche

-----

They're having a barney.

-----

http://www.phorm.com/investors/reports.php

Anyone know what the 'RNS' stands for on the 10th April link and if it was there a few days ago?
Old 01-05-2008, 19:09   #5268
Cogster
Inactive

Quote:

No mention of VM

Auditors = Deloitte & Touche

-----

They're having a barney.
Try p6 and p7
Old 01-05-2008, 19:18   #5269
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

To keep upto date on Phorm stories on Digg add the following url to your RSS reader:

http://digg.com/rss_search?search=Ph...th&section=all

Slashdot unfortunately don't offer an RSS for searches.

On another note I just had an hour long phone call with Claer Barrett who writes for the Investors Chronicle at Financial Times about Phorm and RIPA. It was a very constructive discussion and I extended gratitude on behalf of us all to the Financial Times for getting actively involved in the issue.

I will let you all know when the article is due to be published.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-05-2008, 19:18   #5270
Cogster
Inactive

Quote:

Anyone know what the 'RNS' stands for on the 10th April link and if it was there a few days ago?
'RNS' Regulatory news service?

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/e...ducts/irs/rns/
Old 01-05-2008, 19:22   #5271
mark777
Inactive

mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogster View Post
Try p6 and p7
They talk about agreements with 3 key ISP's, but I can't find the word 'virgin' in the whole document, whereas you can in the preliminary.

I take the point though. Who is the 3rd key ISP they have an agreement with?

BT + CPW + ?

Or are they using the word agreement in a very wide sense?
Old 01-05-2008, 19:23   #5272
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogster View Post
Indeed.. p12 of the AP. and I'm sure they are correct and in good order.. El Reg comment and quote would seem to be directed at the validity of parts of the Chairman's statement on p6.

What the law is regarding this i have no clue for IANAL.... (always wanted to say that)
I understand that they are pretty relaxed about these things in Delaware...
Old 01-05-2008, 19:24   #5273
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
On another note I just had an hour long phone call with Claer Barrett who writes for the Investors Chronicle at Financial Times about Phorm and RIPA. It was a very constructive discussion and I extended gratitude on behalf of us all to the Financial Times for getting actively involved in the issue.

I will let you all know when the article is due to be published.

Alexander Hanff
Interesting - I thought the FT were one of those signed up to OIX?

Old 01-05-2008, 19:24   #5274
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1 View Post
Surely its a big no no to tell outright lies in your annual report. Or at least be misleading.
Where is the lie. Different spin. VM have announced they signed an MOU which probably included an exclusivity clause. Phorm announced they have an exclusive agreement with VM, which they do.
Old 01-05-2008, 19:26   #5275
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

After receiving a call on my answer phone last Saturday and a follow up email which stated if and when Virgin Media adopted Phorm it would be Opt in, I finally managed to get hold of the lady who called and left her number (and extension) in their customer services (She called me back @ work today!).

She admitted to me after the first sentence or two that she knew little about the technical aspects of Webwise/Phorm but had read all the 'advertised literature' given to VM and I must say what a pleasant and reasonable lady she was to talk to. She listened to all my concerns about Phorm (& 121 Media past history), allowed me to explain in simple technical terms that I would consider my data still being intercepted if it still went through Phorms black box after I had opted out even if it was 'not' profiled. I also explained I would consider that under my DPA notice I would not even expect to see any later opt in or opt out notice should Phorm be implemented in the future as I had already opted out using section 11 of the DPA via a written letter.

To be fair she listened to all I had to say and I left the phone call feeling that she would go away and find out a little more about it and Phorm for herself.

Nothing has changed but hopefully the more people who complain by letter and explain to customer services why they are unhappy this will help the privacy cause and help eradicate the possibility of this inbuilt 'spyware' at the ISP.

To do nothing is a mistake and I felt better for the effort I have made so far voicing my concerns. So don't just post on the forums or the The Register etc. please also communicate directly with the ISP.

Incidentally, great news that VM have contradicted Phorm's claims that they had already signed up to Phorm/Webwise. It's not over yet!!

Isn't there a law against attempting to inflate the share price by being 'economical with the truth'?
Old 01-05-2008, 19:27   #5276
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
I rate accountancy houses only just above cockroaches and PR departments. I understood that financial statements had to be signed off by auditing accountants as a true and fair reflection of the situation and performance of the business.
Directors reports are checked for consistency with the FS but forward looking statements are more covered by listing authority rules.
Old 01-05-2008, 19:28   #5277
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
They talk about agreements with 3 key ISP's, but I can't find the word 'virgin' in the whole document, whereas you can in the preliminary.

I take the point though. Who is the 3rd key ISP they have an agreement with?

BT + CPW + ?

Or are they using the word agreement in a very wide sense?
Que? The final report still mentions Virgin. However, the final seems to be scanned, ad thus is not searchable.

Old 01-05-2008, 19:30   #5278
mark777
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
Que? The final report still mentions Virgin. However, the final seems to be scanned, ad thus is not searchable.
Doh. My apologies everyone.
Old 01-05-2008, 19:33   #5279
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
Interesting - I thought the FT were one of those signed up to OIX?
I find it hard to believe any of Phorm's statements now. Certainly at the 80/20 Meeting during the questions panel Kent was put to task over the Guardian dropping them and he made a bit of a slip along the lines of No company have actually signed up to OIX yet but they are in discussion with lots of interested parties.

I would need to see the video (yes calling Simon shortly) of the question panel at the end of the meeting to clarify on that but I am pretty sure it was along those lines.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-05-2008, 19:33   #5280
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
http://www.phorm.com/investors/reports.php

Regulatory News Service
Closed Thread