Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 14-08-2020, 17:57   #5131
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
We rode out the wave, there is no second wave coming, we need to look a different ways of addressing fluctuations without primitive lockdowns.
Entirely speculative. Avoiding a second wave means significant ongoing restrictions.

Quote:
it’s a sensible proposition to avoid lockdowns, which actually people are now just ignoring anyway.

I’m suggesting normal and never have, I’m suggesting different.
No normal = entrenching the recession and mass unemployment. Consumer behaviour is, and will remain, significantly different. Once we are done an early, proper, longer lockdown and eliminating the virus (plus effective test, trace, isolate) will look like the cheap option.

Instead trying to do it on the cheap, relying on luck, speculation and the virus “not liking warm climates” will cost more.

I do wonder who benefits from longer term instability. Those who speculate on the financial markets obviously, this is a once in a generation opportunity. And some of them get to work from home.
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2020, 18:17   #5132
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Is there any information on how long a person 'carries' the virus if they're asymptomatic? Does it just go away after a week or two?
Old 14-08-2020, 18:20   #5133
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

In other news, the new 'Knee Jerk' government causes more chaos.

Quote:
People coming to the UK from France and the Netherlands must quarantine for 14 days from Saturday
Quote:
The UK quarantine measure also applies to people travelling from Monaco, Malta, Turks and Caicos, and Aruba

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 14-08-2020, 19:08   #5134
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Entirely speculative. Avoiding a second wave means significant ongoing restrictions.
Not really, restrictions have been eased since June and lockdown was lifted well over a month ago.

Thousands have been congregating on Beaches, pubs and rallies, infection rate has stayed steady around 1000 or less. It was announced again today that it has levelled off again after a slight rise.

The Manchester council leader on R4 today advised that infection rates in Oldham are double, yet hospital admissions have halved.

It was predicted months ago, and posted on here by me, that a second wave would not happen and it would be a plateau with the odd ripple, and that is what is happening.

As much as you would to see Rome burn, it ain’t going to happen

Quote:
No normal = entrenching the recession and mass unemployment. Consumer behaviour is, and will remain, significantly different. Once we are done an early, proper, longer lockdown and eliminating the virus (plus effective test, trace, isolate) will look like the cheap option.
I’ve already said there won’t be “Normal“ but restrictions should continue to lifted and local fluctuations should be dealt with by just shielding the at risk groups.

Quote:
I do wonder who benefits from longer term instability. Those who speculate on the financial markets obviously, this is a once in a generation opportunity. And some of them get to work from home.
I know who benefits from further lockdowns, no one. We need to be smarter.
Old 14-08-2020, 19:43   #5135
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Why are idiots complaining that they haven't been given enough notice about the new current quarantined countries?

We were all told that this could happen, yet these idiots still travel.

My sister chose to lose £800 in lost flights (as Ryan air still flew to the country, but their accommodation had been cancelled). Ryan air would have transferred them for £900.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

My only issue is the companies raise prices by 400%, they should be massively find by regulators.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Old 14-08-2020, 19:49   #5136
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Why are idiots complaining that they haven't been given enough notice about the new current quarantined countries?

We were all told that this could happen, yet these idiots still travel.

My sister chose to lose £800 in lost flights (as Ryan air still flew to the country, but their accommodation had been cancelled). Ryan air would have transferred them for £900.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

My only issue is the companies raise prices by 400%, they should be massively find by regulators.
In the same vein - Ryan Air? The madness of booking with them.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 14-08-2020, 19:58   #5137
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Not really, restrictions have been eased since June and lockdown was lifted well over a month ago.
As you know the biggest restrictions are schools and the middle classes working from home.

Quote:
Thousands have been congregating on Beaches, pubs and rallies, infection rate has stayed steady around 1000 or less. It was announced again today that it has levelled off again after a slight rise.
I’m sure it was announced today that R is above 1 in England. That road leads one place. Lockdown.

Quote:
The Manchester council leader on R4 today advised that infection rates in Oldham are double, yet hospital admissions have halved.

It was predicted months ago, and posted on here by me, that a second wave would not happen and it would be a plateau with the odd ripple, and that is what is happening.
You need to be right about that every day. I only need to be right once. And we are at or near the limits of what we can ease.

Quote:
As much as you would to see Rome burn, it ain’t going to happen
Far from. I’ve been advising that short term pain = long term gain. Old normal back in action. Despite its failings it was/is achievable.

Quote:
I’ve already said there won’t be “Normal“ but restrictions should continue to lifted and local fluctuations should be dealt with by just shielding the at risk groups.

I know who benefits from further lockdowns, no one. We need to be smarter.
And we will not be smarter by following strategies discounted by the entire world.

I don’t think that you fully understand the precarious nature of almost every capitalist business working in competitive markets. They can’t afford small single figure drops in trade, let alone the levels of shift we will see as the middle classes, and thanks to technology many administrative working classes, shield over the winter, absolutely rationally. You sanction the over 50s shielding - a further sizeable proportion of the consumer base.

These fundamentally undermine the entire economy and will continue to do so in the long term. It is not me advocating Rome burning. I’m advocating throwing the volume of the Atlantic Ocean over it. You seem to think if everyone opens a window and urinates out of it that this will cause the flame to subside. If I am certain of anything it will not.

If you end up right on this it will be by pure chance.
Old 14-08-2020, 20:02   #5138
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Where was it announced that R>1 in England? And is that whole England or just the known pockets?

Old 14-08-2020, 20:11   #5139
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If you end up right on this it will be by pure chance.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Where was it announced that R>1 in England? And is that whole England or just the known pockets?
It wasn’t

R remains the same

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...-show-12049175
Old 14-08-2020, 21:21   #5140
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
In the same vein - Ryan Air? The madness of booking with them.

Unfortunately they are the only Airline that flew to their holiday destination from our local airport on the day they wanted.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Old 14-08-2020, 22:13   #5141
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-517682...wshealthcvd%5D

Quote:
Sage says it is no longer confident R is below 1 in England. It says models using testing data, rather than epidemiological data such as hospital admissions, to predict transmission rates are suggesting higher values for R and these are likely to be reflected in the coming weeks.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-08-2020, 22:35   #5142
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-517682...wshealthcvd%5D

Quote:
Sage says it is no longer confident R is below 1 in England. It says models using testing data, rather than epidemiological data such as hospital admissions, to predict transmission rates are suggesting higher values for R and these are likely to be reflected in the coming weeks.
I couldn't find that quote in the link. But I did find this which contradicts your quote:

Quote:
The current estimate by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, known as Sage, for the R number across the whole of the UK is between 0.8 and 1.0 as of 14 August.

Old 14-08-2020, 22:45   #5143
jfman
Architect of Ideas

It’s really irrelevant if R is 0.99999 or 1. Restrictions ease, more human contact, R increases in the absence of steps to mitigate.

Who knows maybe the virus doesn’t like the cold? It turns out it wasn’t that bothered by the heat so let’s wager on that. My magic 8 ball (ask8ball.net) says it’s “most likely” we will defeat coronavirus so some other acts of chance must go in our favour in the absence of an coherent public health position.

Some “insights” into the Swedish Socrates of herd immunity and his lack of expertise have been revealed in some emails.

https://www.thelocal.se/20200812/why...egnells-emails

“Over in one or two months“. Old Boy may yet have a career in epidemiology if he has the right to live and work in the European Union. I’m confident Sweden will be recruiting soon.

Last edited by jfman; 14-08-2020 at 22:55.
Old 14-08-2020, 23:02   #5144
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
It’s really irrelevant if R is 0.99999 or 1. Restrictions ease, more human contact, R increases in the absence of steps to mitigate.

Who knows maybe the virus doesn’t like the cold? It turns out it wasn’t that bothered by the heat so let’s wager on that. My magic 8 ball (ask8ball.net) says it’s “most likely” we will defeat coronavirus so some other acts of chance must go in our favour in the absence of an coherent public health position.

Some “insights” into the Swedish Socrates of herd immunity and his lack of expertise have been revealed in some emails.

https://www.thelocal.se/20200812/why...egnells-emails

“Over in one or two months“. Old Boy may yet have a career in epidemiology if he has the right to live and work in the European Union. I’m confident Sweden will be recruiting soon.
Wibble, Take the pencils out your nose, the underwear off your head and keep off the gin.
Old 15-08-2020, 00:04   #5145
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I couldn't find that quote in the link. But I did find this which contradicts your quote:

Scroll to the bottom of the article, just above the last chart - the final paragraph says why SAGE don’t have confidence in the previous measurements.

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: png 98974176-29C6-4994-A3F6-F3E1C60CA3A1.png (859.6 KB, 8 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread