Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2018, 12:34   #4966
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Beginners luck Andrew.
Let's see how your future predictions work out Den, there will be plenty of opportunities in this thread.
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2018, 12:36   #4967
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Let's see how your future predictions work out Den, there will be plenty of opportunities in this thread.
How long Mr Corbyn lasts if there is a snap election.
Old 13-12-2018, 12:37   #4968
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Ha, ha coming from you, you have to love the irony.
I'm not sure I get where you're coming from (Are you mistaking me with Nigel Farage per chance?) but at least we both agree an EEA deal is not currently on the table.
Old 13-12-2018, 12:56   #4969
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm not sure I get where you're coming from (Are you mistaking me with Nigel Farage per chance?) but at least we both agree an EEA deal is not currently on the table.
it's the way you tell em .
Old 13-12-2018, 13:10   #4970
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
then it is right and proper that they seek a mandate from the people.
Laughable.

They sought a mandate from the people last time, and don't seem to want to implement it.

What if they put it to the people again, and the people say leave again? what then?

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Quote:
Sorry I thought you were a remainer and supported another referendum? in which case your criticism seemed a little ironic

Quote:
He'll want another vote until he gets the result he wants as he feels that's his privilege.
If I have mis-judged your position I apologise.
Old 13-12-2018, 13:16   #4971
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
[/COLOR]Sorry I thought you were a remainer and supported another referendum? in which case your criticism seemed a little ironic

If I have mis-judged your position I apologise.
Thanks - you did misjudge it.
Old 13-12-2018, 13:16   #4972
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That opinion doesn't alter the fact that EEA is not an automatic option and would need to be negotiated.
When did I mention EEA?
Old 13-12-2018, 13:31   #4973
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks - you did misjudge it.
So you don't want another referendum?
Old 13-12-2018, 13:34   #4974
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Good article here on Brexit: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/12/...of-our-nation/ (open in private/incognito mode if you've hit the read limit)

I disagree with some of it but think this bit is very true:

Quote:
In hindsight, it clearly would have been better for a party to have won a parliamentary majority for leaving the EU, then held a referendum on this question. This would have meant that, in the event of a Leave vote, Parliament and the people were aligned. If this had happened, Brexit would have happened far more smoothly and far more quickly.
Governments shouldn't hold referendums into decisions where they disagree with the 'change' option.
Old 13-12-2018, 13:45   #4975
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Good article here on Brexit: https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/12/...of-our-nation/ (open in private/incognito mode if you've hit the read limit)

I disagree with some of it but think this bit is very true:

Governments shouldn't hold referendums into decisions where they disagree with the 'change' option.

Indeed. It all goes back to Cameron trying to settle an internal issue in the Conservative Party. One that instead of tearing the party apart is now threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom.
Old 13-12-2018, 14:51   #4976
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed. It all goes back to Cameron trying to settle an internal issue in the Conservative Party. One that instead of tearing the party apart is now threatening the very existence of the United Kingdom.
I agree with both of you.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 13-12-2018, 14:55   #4977
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
36% of Tory MPs do not support May and her efforts towards Leaving. I suspect this is a fair representation of the split in the Tory Party, just seems they do not want to see the fundamental split within the party as irrevocable. So just keep tinkering round the edges, rather than make a clean break and be done with it.
Old 13-12-2018, 15:12   #4978
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
36% of Tory MPs do not support May and her efforts towards Leaving. I suspect this is a fair representation of the split in the Tory Party, just seems they do not want to see the fundamental split within the party as irrevocable. So just keep tinkering round the edges, rather than make a clean break and be done with it.

It's not possible all 36% are against the leave plan. Some may have their own career aspirations (and their own associated cliques), some may feel that she isn't the best person to take the party forward for the next 12 months.

Another question is whether the 36% represent the people who vote Conservative, and the Conservative membership as a whole.
Old 13-12-2018, 15:35   #4979
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Taking you literally, I'm a party member and from my soundings at a recent dinner, it's rather the other way round 30% in my constituency (at the dinner) or so support her for a variety of reasons as in 'just get it done'; 'preferred if we had remained'; 'Nobody else can be a credible PM right now'.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 13-12-2018, 15:43   #4980
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Taking you literally, I'm a party member and from my soundings at a recent dinner, it's rather the other way round 30% in my constituency (at the dinner) or so support her for a variety of reasons as in 'just get it done'; 'preferred if we had remained'; 'Nobody else can be a credible PM right now'.
Me too, in my constituency, and strangely enough, it's the other way round here - must be that North/South divide...

We are about 50/50 on Leave/Remain, but even some of the Leave camp thought she needed to be allowed to get on with it, and that Rees-Mogg et al were just nasty little stirrers out for themselves, rather than the country.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 13-12-2018 at 15:48.
Closed Thread