Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 21-08-2011, 10:48   #466
fredtheted
Inactive

fredtheted can only hope to improve
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
The SD problem also affects my Sony KDL-40EX403.
I too had a Sony television, which showed a sub standard picture on SD.
I returned the TIVO and reverted back to the superior image on the Samsung Virgin+ box.
I now have a Samsung tv, so reading previous forum entries it would be pointless going back to TIVO.
fredtheted is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2011, 11:34   #467
HandsOfBlue
Inactive

Services: VIP50 TIVO
HandsOfBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheted View Post
I now have a Samsung tv, so reading previous forum entries it would be pointless going back to TIVO.
Not necessarily, you're seeing primarily only those unhappy with the PQ. I have a Samsung TV (B650 model) and SD (and HD) on it is just fine - I can't tell the difference between my old SA V+ and it on SD.
HandsOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 18:25   #468
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheted View Post
I too had a Sony television, which showed a sub standard picture on SD.
I returned the TIVO and reverted back to the superior image on the Samsung Virgin+ box.
I have a Samsung TV and don't have any PQ issues at all. It doesn't effect all TVs
Old 21-08-2011, 20:39   #469
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I have a Samsung TV and don't have any PQ issues at all.
Same here.

Samsung is the biggest-selling TV brand, so it's not surprising that many of those who can see the problem have Samsungs.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 21:13   #470
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

I think the best thing to do is simply make a readjustments of you picture settings after having a TiVo installed if you feel its required. I feel I've improved the picture quality for my Samsung plasma HDTV.
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 19:06   #471
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Just wanted to add to the debate on this issue , I've used my friends TIVO on numerous occasions and went in at the weekend looking at mobiles in the VM shop someone was demoing TIVO so I had a glance and can honestly say I didn't see no issues with PQ , I've seen it on a Samsung panel and a Sony Bravia and couldn't tell any difference in SD when compared to Sky+HD or V+. The VM shop had C5 and Sky2 on and they both seemed acceptable. I was very impressed with the Home screen as this really stood out and the graphics and channel logos also looked good.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 16:56   #472
BlackCountryKid
Inactive

Services: Tivo/ 152mb BB/ Talk Anytime
BlackCountryKid is an unknown quantity at this point

I,ve ordered Tivo, but after reading this thread, I think I have made a mistake. Can anyone tell me what the PQ is like on a 50" Panasonic plasma. At the moment the PQ from the V+ on SD is brilliant and on HD is outstanding and I do not want an inferior PQ when Tivo is supposed to be an "upgrade". I might cancel Tivo install and wait for the update to the Tivo before I make my mind up.

Comments!
BlackCountryKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 17:01   #473
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

If the only thing you're worried about is picture quality then cancel and save your 3 quid each month, although I can honestly say I see no issues and I now have tivo in one room and v+hd in another outputting to the same model tv. Despite what you read on here about a range of issues, tivo is very much an upgrade to what went before imo. I honestly couldn't go back.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 20:01   #474
brava210
Inactive

Services: Virgin V+,TiVo, BB-10MB Panasonic 50", AE 5.1, Pioneer VSX920 Amp, Harmony One.
brava210 is on a distinguished roadbrava210 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryKid View Post
I,ve ordered Tivo, but after reading this thread, I think I have made a mistake. Can anyone tell me what the PQ is like on a 50" Panasonic plasma. At the moment the PQ from the V+ on SD is brilliant and on HD is outstanding and I do not want an inferior PQ when Tivo is supposed to be an "upgrade". I might cancel Tivo install and wait for the update to the Tivo before I make my mind up.

Comments!
I have Tivo on a 50" Panny the SD picture is slightly softer than v+ but it WILL be fixed very soon
brava210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50   #475
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryKid View Post

Comments!
My Pioneer KRP-500 is isf calibrated, picture is perfect on tivo, no difference to v+
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 18:38   #476
soul1
Inactive

soul1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, interesting thread. I have posted something similar with regards the Cisco V HD Box & the Samsung 2110c SD :-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...x-quality.html
soul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 00:42   #477
PLB
Inactive

PLB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava210 View Post
I have Tivo on a 50" Panny the SD picture is slightly softer than v+ but it WILL be fixed very soon

Has the SD picture quality improved since the recent TiVo update.
PLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 00:59   #478
HD Boy
Permanently Banned

Services: Triple XL (30MB) Sky Sports and Sky Movies, Sky Premium HD , 1TB TiVo , V HD
HD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of lightHD Boy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLB View Post
Has the SD picture quality improved since the recent TiVo update.
Yes
Quote:
And just to confirm - yes, to my eyes the PQ is much improved in SD.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...5&postcount=27
HD Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 20:20   #479
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

Is anyone watching the game on ITVHD? That picture quality just says it all. Warm and slightly fuzzy with a healthy dollop of graininess on a close up. Seriously they have to sort this out.
caph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 20:23   #480
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caph View Post
Is anyone watching the game on ITVHD? That picture quality just says it all. Warm and slightly fuzzy with a healthy dollop of graininess on a close up. Seriously they have to sort this out.
I think that about sums up the commentary too.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote