Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 27-02-2022, 18:34   #466
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I have to say those Bayraktari weapons made by Turkey, the Ukrainians are using against the Russian tank columns are badass.
They are also using Nlaw and Javalin

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2022, 19:00   #467
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Couple of BREAKING News lines comes out just now:

The White House calls on China to condemn Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

The FA has announced that England will not play any international fixtures with Russia for the foreseeable future. https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-i...unces-12553645
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 19:03   #468
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Anyone else getting a twitchy bottom? My anxiety levels are rising with this latest bit of news. Am I being over dramatic or is it really scary?
You’ll get inured to it (eventually, maybe… )

In the late 70s/early 80s, I was stationed at RAF Gatow and worked at Teufelsberg (both in West Berlin) - bearing in mind, this was at the height of the Cold War, so most days were like today (waiting for "The Big One to go off). My place of work was the at the highest point of Berlin (120 metres high, the hill was built of rubble from the devastation of Berlin by the Soviets), and we were very visible, and knew we were one of the first targets, to all the GSFG/East German artillery and missile batteries that surrounded West Berlin.

It gets better - our Married Quarter was on Queensway in RAF Gatow (Gatow’s runway was next to the Berlin Wall, which was a couple of tall barbed wire fences with minefields between in that location), and the Station Armoury was next to the airfield; the East German Mechanised Battalion on the other side of the Wall (fence) were closer to the Armoury than we were.

Another one of the perks of being there was regular NBC drills, where we would suit and mask up, and then run about for a couple of hours playing soldiers, and then practice the "all clear" drill - this consisted of testing various test strips to ensure there were no "nasties" still in the air, then, if you were the junior squad member, you got to take your respirator off before everyone else, as the final test.

So, as I said, you get used to it…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4504449D-7992-421E-907C-0828A8EA7707.jpeg (130.4 KB, 23 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 19:17   #469
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

So, as I said, you get used to it…
Fair play mate
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 19:27   #470
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You’ll get inured to it (eventually, maybe… )

In the late 70s/early 80s, I was stationed at RAF Gatow and worked at Teufelsberg (both in West Berlin) - (snip)
On a lighter note … was the design of your base a calculated insult to the Commies?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 19:32   #471
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

The Ukrainian government has announced it is establishing an "international legion" for foreigners wishing to travel to the country to help fight against Russian invaders.

The Foreign Secretary has indicated the UK is not against Britons joining.

Quote:
That is something people can make their own decisions about, she said.
Quote:
The people of Ukraine are fighting for freedom and democracy, not just for Ukraine but for the whole of Europe.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 19:47   #472
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I would go but my passport has expired.....how unlucky
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 19:50   #473
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://twitter.com/bbckatyaadler/st...792514051?s=21

Quote:
KatyaAdler
@BBCkatyaadler

EU announces it has agreed unanimously amongst all member countries to take in Ukrainian refugees for up to 3 years without asking them to first apply for asylum. Just been announced following a meeting of EU Interior ministers

19:28 27/02/2022
Old 27-02-2022, 19:55   #474
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I would go but my passport has expired.....how unlucky
Some one has to stay here to man the big red button
Old 27-02-2022, 19:56   #475
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

To be honest i would have gone and helped but at 61 years of age i think i am to old now and to fat to get through the turret hatch.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 19:59   #476
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
To be honest i would have gone and helped but at 61 years of age i think i am to old now and to fat to get through the turret hatch.
Gravity would assist getting in - egress may be more problematic…
Old 27-02-2022, 20:00   #477
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Just clicked over to RT to see if it's still on and there was a chap saying Vlad is only preparing for when a deranged US president puts nuclear weapons in Ukraine!
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 20:12   #478
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

One RAF and two USAF tankers doing racetracks at the moment - I would imagine quite a few drones will be getting refuelled (RAF from Akrotiri, USAF from Mildenhall).
Old 27-02-2022, 20:19   #479
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Ban on Russian planes overflying Europe starting to bite…

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/st...964438017?s=21
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B735200D-C8FA-44EA-8F55-907CC5C2A155.jpeg (81.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 27-02-2022, 20:28   #480
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
BP to divest its 19.75% stake in Russian oil company Rosneft
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60548382?
Seems daft not to take a dividend. This will affect shareholders even more and help Russia by effectively giving them some money.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote