Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2016, 12:12   #466
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Sterling is about 3.4% down against USD at the moment.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

The FTSE 250 is down 5%
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2016, 12:36   #467
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Cheaper exports and our goods are more attractive.

3% is hardly hammered seeing as it's been up and down far more over the last few months.
More expensive transport costs, more expensive raw materials it's not as simple as exports will be cheaper.

All imports will be correspondingly more expensive as well.

I have no idea what the overall impact will be, but it's not a simple as it's being made out to be.

J
Old 27-06-2016, 12:37   #468
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Daily Mail reports that the EU is going ahead with plans for an EU army now that we have voted to leave.

Wonder if that means the introduction of National Service and a requirement to enlist for all our younger voters if we opt to remain? Like all these things we'll have to wait and see.

Don't remember Cameron, Blair and Major mentioning the EU army formation in their pitch to the voters.
Old 27-06-2016, 12:41   #469
jamiefrost
cf.geek

jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMark View Post
If the EU want Turkey to join then Turkey will join, if anyone thinks Britian could of stopped it they are deluded beyond belief.

Loose a country of 65 million and gain a country of 76 million, I guess it's bye bye Britian. An as for panic? Is this the same as the panic buying of fuel someone on here predicted or infact had witnessed happening? Leavers are not panicking , London might be but this country is a lot bigger than London.
So you no longer have a problem with millions of Turkish immigrants coming into the country in a few years time even though we left?

J
Old 27-06-2016, 12:48   #470
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
So you no longer have a problem with millions of Turkish immigrants coming into the country in a few years time even though we left?

J
I don't think we can prevent them coming if we accept freedom of movement for EU nationals. All we can do is manage their locations better so that communities are not overwhelmed.

Given the perceived hostility in some areas of England it may well be that Turkish immigrants would feel happier settling in London, Northern Ireland or possibly Scotland.
Old 27-06-2016, 12:49   #471
RBMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post

J
No longer have a problem with millions of Turkish immigrants? Firstly if you've been to turkey they aren't doing to badly over there so I doubt millions will come.

Secondly I never said I had a problem with Turkish immigrants. So I ask, do you no longer have a problem with millions of Turkish immigrants coming into the country?

If you're a "leaver" who voted purely on anti immigration then that's your choice and I respect that. But that's not the reason I voted leave.

Old 27-06-2016, 12:49   #472
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
More volatility this morning. On the upside there's a flight to safety in UK gilts. We can borrow cash very, very, very cheaply.

On the downside trading in Barclays and RBS shares was suspended this morning.

RBS: 177.70 GBX Price decrease 27.60 (-13.44%)
Barclays PLC (BARC.L) 138.80 Down 15.10 (-9.81%)

EDIT: Snigger. Nothing gets past Boris.

EDIT 2

The BDI have just confirmed they said no such thing regarding access to the single market. Going to have to start renaming him BS Boris.
They did say that regarding trade but I don't recall them saying anything about the Single Market. Do we really want the Single Market? I heard somewhere we'd be paying about 80% of what we're paying now and that's pointless.
Old 27-06-2016, 12:50   #473
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
They did say that regarding trade but I don't recall them saying anything about the Single Market. Do we really want the Single Market? I heard somewhere we'd be paying about 80% of what we're paying now and that's pointless.
+ Free movement
Old 27-06-2016, 12:54   #474
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Sterling is about 3.4% down against USD at the moment.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

The FTSE 250 is down 5%
You seem happy about this. Is this an I told you so thing? We knew it would happen. Give it a week and see what happens.
Old 27-06-2016, 12:56   #475
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brian View Post
You seem happy about this. Is this an I told you so thing? We knew it would happen. Give it a week and see what happens.
Considering my pension is tanking I am not wild about it.
Old 27-06-2016, 13:03   #476
Big Brian
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Daily Mail reports that the EU is going ahead with plans for an EU army now that we have voted to leave.

Wonder if that means the introduction of National Service and a requirement to enlist for all our younger voters if we opt to remain? Like all these things we'll have to wait and see.

Don't remember Cameron, Blair and Major mentioning the EU army formation in their pitch to the voters.
They were always going to have an European Army whether we left or not. Remain are all panicking about nothing. Blowing things out of all proportion. The BoE has plans to keep Sterling steady.

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Quote:
+ Free movement
Well they can keep it. We may have been better voting remain as nothing will change and we'll be worse off. NO CHANCE. We can't accept Freedom of Movement.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

Quote:
Considering my pension is tanking I am not wild about it.
Don't worry neighbour it will settle down. We're kind of in limbo atm and once we have a clearer picture of what's going on things will calm down.
Old 27-06-2016, 13:19   #477
ntluser
cf.mega poster

If the EU army idea is proceeding where does that leave younger voters if we remain?

I'm not sure if this was something they realised would happen.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

It looks like Tony Blair, Nicola Sturgeon and others including EU politicians are planning to block Brexit.

If Boris does not win the leadership election or is not involved with the Brexit negotiations the whole idea could die a death but we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by ntluser; 27-06-2016 at 13:15. Reason: SPELLING ERROR
Old 27-06-2016, 13:19   #478
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMark View Post
No longer have a problem with millions of Turkish immigrants? Firstly if you've been to turkey they aren't doing to badly over there so I doubt millions will come.

Secondly I never said I had a problem with Turkish immigrants. So I ask, do you no longer have a problem with millions of Turkish immigrants coming into the country?

If you're a "leaver" who voted purely on anti immigration then that's your choice and I respect that. But that's not the reason I voted leave.
No you did't mention Turkish immigrants specifically but you stated control over our own boarders was a main reason.

If we go for EEA / access to the single market we will be back to free movement of labor and we will have the exact same control over our borders as we do now but we less say in matters, so what was the point in leaving again?

I voted remain, as it looks like my concerns and reasons for voting remain are on the cards. No change in the border control, paid access to the single market all with the added bonus of zero influence.

All this talk of sovereignty as if its a black and white all or nothing issue. Yes the EU did place limits on our sovereignty as does ECHR, NATO, WTO, UN among many other treaties etc.

J
Old 27-06-2016, 13:26   #479
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
If the EU army idea is proceeding where does that leave younger voters if we remain?

I'm not sure if this was something they realised would happen.
If they won't take the low paid jobs then they'll have to enlist. No more sitting on their lardy asses watching Jeremy Kyle.
Old 27-06-2016, 13:29   #480
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Just wondering how the USA will get on with its hopes for a trade deal with the EU if the EU is insisting on freedom of movement given that the USA uses a visa system.
Closed Thread