Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 20:55   #4726
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Not North Atlantic Langoustines ......well not in the quantity they’re used to.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

I’d be happy for it to go that way, just to see what happens. As they say, don’t go into a negotiation if you’re not prepared to walk away. If we have to walk away, then walk away, it is just part of the negotiations. It certainly would not be the end of anything.
And if you don't like what happens? Like a dog, Brexit isn't just for Christmas. Its not like a general election and you can change your mind in a few years. This will affect your kids future.
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2020, 21:12   #4727
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
And if you don't like what happens? Like a dog, Brexit isn't just for Christmas. Its not like a general election and you can change your mind in a few years. This will affect your kids future.
The trend is for the EU to do more and more trade deals with the world’s major economies over time. If there’s not a deal next week, there’s going to be one some time fairly soon. Like Pierre I’m now more curious about what will happen if it’s no deal. I think there’s a reasonably good chance that will happen now, and that it will be a far bigger shock in Brussels than here (although the commentariat here will be predictably shrill). I think Brussels doesn’t believe we will walk, and that if we do, that misapprehension will be off the table by the time talks resume some time next year.
Old 05-12-2020, 21:14   #4728
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And if you don't like what happens? Like a dog, Brexit isn't just for Christmas. Its not like a general election and you can change your mind in a few years. This will affect your kids future
Phhhffftt.

If i don’t like what happens I’ll have to ff’n get on with it and make the best of it. The world will not end. We’re talking about how much more, or how less we may have to pay for a few things. You will accuse me of being simplistic and not understanding, but I understand perfectly. Brexit, Covid, financial crash, dot.com crash........that’s just the last 20years............, yadda yadda whatever, all things pass.
Old 05-12-2020, 21:18   #4729
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
It certainly would not be the end of anything.
Nissan disagrees with you.
Quote:
With a Brexit deadline just days away, Britain's biggest car plant "will not be sustainable" if there is no deal, Nissan has warned.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54986195

As does Sir Julian King
Quote:
Sir Julian King, the UK's last commissioner in Brussels, said that the UK would instantly lose access to a range of EU databases which share data about criminals from across the EU.
https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-i...20-9?r=US&IR=T
Old 05-12-2020, 21:24   #4730
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We shall see.

France’s demands for all the fish might start scaling back towards something a little more reasonable once they’re on the outside of our waters looking in. To be fair I can’t see Brussels loosening its ideological attachment to the ECJ having a role in dispute resolution though.
Old 05-12-2020, 21:33   #4731
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Not the end of any negotiations..........

However, as you’ve brought it up, it’s interesting that you’re willing to throw the entire U.K. fishing sector under the bus, but not 1no. Car plant?

I don’t know if Nissan would pull out or not, but then as I say “no deal” would not be the end of negotiations.

In regards to intelligence, the U.K. will remain as a member of five eyes, NATO and a whole raft of other partnerships. To suggest we would be disadvantaged is ball cocks and always has been.

Leaving the EU will not affect our membership of Interpol.
Old 05-12-2020, 21:52   #4732
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
However, as you’ve brought it up, it’s interesting that you’re willing to throw the entire U.K. fishing sector under the bus, but not 1no. Car plant?
Where have I said this? I've just pointed out that the owners of the largest car plant in the UK disagree with you.

I suspect British fish won't be gracing the menus of too many restaurants in France if there is no deal and French fishermen are protesting about their damaged livelihoods.

Whatever happens, this won't be the end of negotiations. We'll be negotiating our relationship with the EU forever.
Old 05-12-2020, 22:13   #4733
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Where have I said this?
Well not directly, but you are a Remainer happy to be rodgered by whatever way the EU sees fit and I assume ( tell me if I’m wrong) to sacrifice U.K. fisheries to EU demands.

Then you highlight the situation at the Nissan plant as something that would be terrible ( which of course it would be)...........but you don’t seem to be keen on highlighting the issue of the impact on fisheries

That’s the point.

Quote:
Whatever happens, this won't be the end of negotiations. We'll be negotiating our relationship with the EU forever.
Which......I think....... was........my......point......all.....along.
Old 05-12-2020, 22:39   #4734
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well not directly, but you are a Remainer happy to be rodgered by whatever way the EU sees fit and I assume ( tell me if I’m wrong) to sacrifice U.K. fisheries to EU demands.

Then you highlight the situation at the Nissan plant as something that would be terrible ( which of course it would be)...........but you don’t seem to be keen on highlighting the issue of the impact on fisheries

That’s the point.

Which......I think....... was........my......point......all.....along.
Very happy to oblige - you were wrong in your previous post and you're wrong in this one too.

I picked just two distinct areas to highlight the flaws in your statement, security and Nissan.

I have previously highlighted the plight of British fishermen and the increased paperwork and potential delays they face even with a deal.

No deal won't won't simply benefit fishermen in the UK and disbeneft French fishermen. Both parties will suffer.
Old 06-12-2020, 17:00   #4735
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Food prices will increase if there is not a deal, a minister has admitted, as he suggested there could be an increase of 1 to 2 per cent.

George Eustice acknowledged that there will be "some impact" on food prices if the UK fails to get a trade deal with the EU, despite ministers having previously promised that food would be cheaper for British shoppers.

The Environment Secretary said: “Obviously if we don't have a trade agreement with the EU we will be applying tariffs to some of those imports and that's likely to mean that in the short term there would be a small, modest increase in food prices.”

During the Vote Leave campaign one of its manifesto pledges was that Brexit would make food cheaper. However Mr Eustice conceded that food items such as pork and beef were likely to see price rises
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...r-admits-says/

Strange it didn't say this on the side of the bus...

Maybe we'll become a nation of vegetarians. Some good may come from Brexit after all
Old 06-12-2020, 17:10   #4736
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

Maybe we'll become a nation of vegetarians. Some good may come from Brexit after all
Isn't a 1-2% rise within the bounds of a standard annual inflationary rise?
Old 06-12-2020, 17:15   #4737
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Isn't a 1-2% rise within the bounds of a standard annual inflationary rise?
Annual inflationary rises usually take place over a year ( the clue is in the name 'annual').

This would be in addition and virtually overnight.
Old 06-12-2020, 17:21   #4738
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Annual inflationary rises usually take place over a year ( the clue is in the name 'annual').

This would be in addition and virtually overnight.
Changes in individual prices tends to go up in one go, not in a monthly or weekly manner.
Old 06-12-2020, 17:53   #4739
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Whinge, whinge, whinge.

On the plus side, we will control our own destiny and come out on the right side when things have settled down. Had we stayed in the EU, they would have strangled us with their rules which they are still trying to do.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 06-12-2020, 18:21   #4740
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Whinge, whinge, whinge.

On the plus side, we will control our own destiny and come out on the right side when things have settled down. Had we stayed in the EU, they would have strangled us with their rules which they are still trying to do.
The problem there is the bunch of clowns we're left with controlling our destiny. They're like a Monty Python sketch. Unfortunately for us, their incompetence has led to led to us having the highest number of Covid deaths in Europe

Some of the EU rules were genuine beneficial - workers, consumer and environmental protections . A hinderance to the mega wealthy maybe. It's our own Govt. we need protection from.
Closed Thread