Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 15:10   #4486
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
With the tests that weren’t available, and they had to get them out of hospital very quickly to make beds available?

Thoughtless unprofessional negligent medics not doing tests that weren’t widely available...
Interesting to see your argument disintegrating piece by piece.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2020, 15:16   #4487
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Given the chaotic and limited role government plays in healthcare in the USA, is it worthwhile even discussing it with relation to the U.K.?

Remember also that only the Westminster parliament is sovereign. Powers are devolved to Scotland and Wales and if a crisis became sufficiently acute they could be exercised directly by the U.K. government if authorised to do so by the U.K. parliament. Even under present arrangements the devolved administrations depend on central emergency funding and on scientific advice that may be delivered in Edinburgh and London but is given by experts who are in regular contact, who are drawing from the same research and whose advice (and any action taken on it) is readily comparable. They also depend on U.K. government decision making and control in situations where the devolved administrations require military assistance.

This crisis has allowed Sturgeon in Edinburgh and whatever that goon in Cardiff is called to strut about and look far more important and influential than they actually are, but in reality they’re all paying for the party out of the same bank account and there’s barely a hair’s breadth of a difference between the decisions they’re taking; almost all the differences amount to timing that befits local differences, and in any case there are now examples of local differences in regulations within England and Scotland.
Old 08-07-2020, 15:18   #4488
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Diners to get a 50% discount off their restaurant bill during August
Quote:
Chancellor Rishi Sunak unveiled the "eat out to help out" discount as part of a series of measures to restart the economy amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The deal means people can get up to £10 off per head if they eat out between Monday and Wednesday.
Shame its only Monday to Wednesday.
That said, I normally eat out every Tuesday & Wednesday, so should be good for me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 08-07-2020, 15:30   #4489
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Wonder how they are going to stop fraud happening on a truly epic scale. Eg "So you really had 1,000 people in your restaurant each night?"
Old 08-07-2020, 15:30   #4490
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

That said, I normally eat out every Tuesday & Wednesday, so should be good for me.
l think the reason its only Monday to Wednesday because those days are usually far less busier then the other more busier days of the week.

Thats only my view mind.
Old 08-07-2020, 15:46   #4491
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

The number of places I had in my head ready to book before they added that £10 limit would have seen me doing a food tour of London every Monday-Wednesday throughout August.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Wonder how they are going to stop fraud happening on a truly epic scale. Eg "So you really had 1,000 people in your restaurant each night?"
Any large fraud would fall apart instantly if the Government examined it. They get any transaction would have to be accounted for and they would know your typical demand though previous tax years. If your little greasy spoon cafe suddenly started seeing the equivelemt of Wembley stadium in attendance it would show.
Old 08-07-2020, 16:00   #4492
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

They’ll also have a socially distanced capacity.
Old 08-07-2020, 16:03   #4493
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The number of places I had in my head ready to book before they added that £10 limit would have seen me doing a food tour of London every Monday-Wednesday throughout August.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Any large fraud would fall apart instantly if the Government examined it. They get any transaction would have to be accounted for and they would know your typical demand though previous tax years. If your little greasy spoon cafe suddenly started seeing the equivelemt of Wembley stadium in attendance it would show.
"If" being the operative word. Are they going to investigate each one? How do you tell the difference between a genuine cash transaction and a fake one? They could even just bump up their prices, so that after the 50% discount it is the same as before. They then pocket that 50% discount refund.
Old 08-07-2020, 16:08   #4494
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
"If" being the operative word. Are they going to investigate each one? How do you tell the difference between a genuine cash transaction and a fake one? They could even just bump up their prices, so that after the 50% discount it is the same as before. They then pocket that 50% discount refund.
I imagine any large amounts would be looked into and who cares about the smaller amounts?
Old 08-07-2020, 16:29   #4495
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Like all things HMRC they’ll work with ratios. If you are within the ratio at the end of your VAT period they’ll consider you to be legit, or close enough to legit, to be unworthy of investigation.

If your costs don’t match the upturn in sales and your end of quarter/year profit similarly don’t reflect this then alarm bells go all over the shop and suddenly your are under scrutiny for the last six tax years that you really don’t want if you are actually dodgy.
Old 08-07-2020, 18:00   #4496
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
It’s good to see you think highly of people...

I know the prices in my local restaurants, and if they bumped them up by £10 per head, they would son lose any business.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 08-07-2020 at 18:32.
Old 08-07-2020, 18:09   #4497
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think the reason its only Monday to Wednesday because those days are usually far less busier then the other more busier days of the week.

Thats only my view mind.
That makes sense to me. Pre lock-down, some places even closed on Mondays.
Old 08-07-2020, 18:32   #4498
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Interesting to see your argument disintegrating piece by piece.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 08-07-2020, 19:37   #4499
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Like all things HMRC they’ll work with ratios. If you are within the ratio at the end of your VAT period they’ll consider you to be legit, or close enough to legit, to be unworthy of investigation.

If your costs don’t match the upturn in sales and your end of quarter/year profit similarly don’t reflect this then alarm bells go all over the shop and suddenly your are under scrutiny for the last six tax years that you really don’t want if you are actually dodgy.
Exactly. HMRC have been known to cross reference declared takings with the amount of takeaway cartons purchased. In the case of a hairdresser, they cross referenced with the amount of shampoo, perm solution etc that she had purchased.

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:

Do we know if people can only do this once, or as many times as they like?

Will it definitely apply to takeaways, or is it just eat in?

The 50% off is a bit disingenuous though, it's only up to a maximum of £10 and I can't think of many places where you could get a three course a la carte meal for £20! It'll be alright for a curry or something though.

Let's hope that it won't involve copious amounts of form filling either.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

I've just had a chuckle at the social distancing sign in Parliament behind an interviewee, 'Keep left at all times'
Old 08-07-2020, 22:31   #4500
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Do we know if people can only do this once, or as many times as they like?

Will it definitely apply to takeaways, or is it just eat in?
"The discount can be used unlimited times and will be valid Monday to Wednesday on any eat-in meal"
(But the VAT reduction may also apply to takeaways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The 50% off is a bit disingenuous though, it's only up to a maximum of £10 and I can't think of many places where you could get a three course a la carte meal for £20!
You could go for three one-course meals.
Closed Thread