TiVo STB's - how reliable?
14-09-2012, 12:14
|
#31
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Blast.
Just turned the telly on and it's done it twice in 5 minutes.
So back to square one.
As far as I know the installer used the same HDMI cable that worked perfectly with my V+ box so I don't think it's that.
Seems to go after the box has warmed up, maybe a faulty HDMI output connection?
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 12:20
|
#32
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
That is indeed annoying
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 14:37
|
#33
|
|
Guest
Location: West Sussex
Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Or possibly a faulty Tivo and/or power supply. The V+ has a direct mains connection whereas Tivo has an external PSU. That may be failing as it heats up.
|
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 15:43
|
#34
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
OK, found a thread on another forum about this being a fairly common problem for some TVs and HDMI cables connected to TiVo.
As HDMI is a digital cable I didn't think that quality mattered that much, however I have changed the cable to a shorter one (don't think it's an expensive one) and so far so good. I've got my fingers crossed that it has fixed the problem
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 17:47
|
#35
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Nope, that didn't work either.
Do I need a new box or is it a problem of compatability between TiVo and my TV?
|
|
|
14-09-2012, 18:33
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 134
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto
Nope, that didn't work either.
Do I need a new box or is it a problem of compatability between TiVo and my TV?
|
TiVo's had a fair few HDMI connection issues since its introduction, a lot have been ressolved with TiVo updates. I have a 3 year old Sony Bravia TV and since purchase I've had to update it's firmware not once but twice. Is your TV's firmware up to date?
|
|
|
15-09-2012, 07:52
|
#37
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
I have a 4 year old Sony Bravia. It is set for automatic update and software download, so I assume it's up to date.
The frequency of these drop-outs is reducing so maybe the problem will go away.
|
|
|
15-09-2012, 12:13
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 134
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Crypto that's interesting and something I'd love my Bravia to do. The only way I've been able to update mine is to download the update on my PC and put it on a USB memory stick. If there's a way to perform the updates automatically a quick walk through would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
|
|
|
15-09-2012, 12:28
|
#39
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 282
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
My personal experience of TiVo is that it is extremely reliable. I have had mine for about 16 months and never had any problem with it. No random reboots (other than after updates), no freezing or locking up. It's been an absolute joy to use.
At times over the last few months I have got a bit fed up with VM, due to channels not being present that I would like and problems with the sound on Sky Sports and have given consideration to switching back to Sky. But the TiVo is keeping me with them as I can't bear the thought of losing it and going back to using the clunky, ugly Sky box.
|
|
|
15-09-2012, 14:42
|
#40
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison
Crypto that's interesting and something I'd love my Bravia to do. The only way I've been able to update mine is to download the update on my PC and put it on a USB memory stick. If there's a way to perform the updates automatically a quick walk through would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
|
Mine works this way:
Menu > Settings > Set-up (tool box icon) > Digital set-up > Technical set-up
Now at last you get to have Auto Service Update on/off & Software Download on/off.
Quite a few key presses on the remote to get there. I don't remember setting mine up so the default settings may well be on anyway.
Cheers
|
|
|
15-09-2012, 16:40
|
#41
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 134
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto
Mine works this way
|
Thanks for showing me the way!
My TV is connected by ethernet to the superhub and I've changed "Auto Sevice Updates" (in Digital Set up) to "on" so hopefully if there are any future updates they will happen automatically.
I love forums where you get help & advice.
Sorry I was absolutely no help to you!!!!
|
|
|
15-09-2012, 19:01
|
#42
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison
Thanks for showing me the way!
My TV is connected by ethernet to the superhub and I've changed "Auto Sevice Updates" (in Digital Set up) to "on" so hopefully if there are any future updates they will happen automatically.
I love forums where you get help & advice.
Sorry I was absolutely no help to you!!!!
|
You are very welcome to glean whatever we can help each other with, never mind some of the point scoring that some other folks want.
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 08:13
|
#43
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sheffield
Age: 39
Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
Posts: 4,090
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD
the clunky, ugly Sky box.
|
Im not sure what Sky box you have bene looking at. Mine is well designed and looks sleek and cool (like me  ) i think it looks better than Tivo
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 09:21
|
#44
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes
Im not sure what Sky box you have bene looking at. Mine is well designed and looks sleek and cool (like me  ) i think it looks better than Tivo
|
Oh dear you do need to have that eye test Mr Stokes. 
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 09:24
|
#45
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stoke on Trent
Services: 30 mb broadband & phone
Posts: 280
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto
Mine works this way:
Menu > Settings > Set-up (tool box icon) > Digital set-up > Technical set-up
Now at last you get to have Auto Service Update on/off & Software Download on/off.
Quite a few key presses on the remote to get there. I don't remember setting mine up so the default settings may well be on anyway.
Cheers 
|
Doesn't the software updating assume that you are connected to digital terrestrial TV (not cable), this is the way any updates come, and only then if the transponder is carrying them for your brand of TV.
I would check with Sony on the web to see if you have the latest version of software and update it by USB.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18.
|