Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shall I switch to superhub or not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Shall I switch to superhub or not?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2012, 16:29   #31
kwikbreaks
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Well tomorrow afternoon is when I get my own personal improvement in jitter - assuming it doesn't turn out to be a no-show of course which apparently does happen according to complaints I've seen in the BT forum.

Good luck to those of you who will be persisting with cable.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2012, 18:18   #32
big_dirk
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 46
big_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enough
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
That was the freebie router I had from VM and I don't recall any problems with port forwarding. What can't you do? The Superhub in general is more restrictive than most routers I've seen.
I wanted to forward ports to internal IP addresses and limit it to apply for only certain external addresses. I can't see a way to do it unless I'm being stupid
big_dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 18:40   #33
Jayster
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belfast, N.I.
Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Posts: 499
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dirk View Post
I wanted to forward ports to internal IP addresses and limit it to apply for only certain external addresses. I can't see a way to do it unless I'm being stupid
That doesn't sound like something you would be able to do with the majority of consumer oriented routers.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 18:40   #34
big_dirk
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 46
big_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enough
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Oh. I could do it on an old Netgear you see which is why I thought I'd ask. thanks anyway.

i wonder how people make it so they can access their files from outside of their home lan with fairly normal kit :-/
big_dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 18:47   #35
Jayster
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belfast, N.I.
Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Posts: 499
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dirk View Post
Oh. I could do it on an old Netgear you see which is why I thought I'd ask. thanks anyway.

i wonder how people make it so they can access their files from outside of their home lan with fairly normal kit :-/
If I was looking to block ip's to just a particular machine on the network I would set up a firewall on said machine to block incomming from all but the ip's you want to allow. That can be an issue however if you want to use the machine. If you still have that router you could set it up with the superhub in modem mode. But without knowing the model of the Netgear router I would have to say it might limit speeds.

Personally when I share content out of my home server I usually rely on authentication with whatever program I am using.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 18:55   #36
big_dirk
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 46
big_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enough
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

I think the old Netgear (I THINK WNR802 rings a bell....) would probably limit speeds, although I chose not to go down the superhub road in the end, because I'm possibly moving house to a non-VM area ()

Assuming you mean user/pass auth, just out of interest, do you ever check for hack attempts?

I suppose I could go quite tech and get a firewall inside a virtual machine in my little server and route the whole internet connection through that, but I don't know if I can be bothered.....I think like you say, a username and password might be an option
big_dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:01.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum