Old XP PC has lost internet connection
11-08-2011, 18:47
|
#31
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty
Hmmm. Now I'm thinking TCP/IP might be broken.
Let's try a reset. Open a CMD window again with Start/Run 'cmd'
at the prompt type this:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
cross fingers and reboot the pc.
|
Thank you Dai you didn't say whether to press enter after typing the above, however I tried it both ways, rebooting after each etc but still no joy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher
Hmmm... I know this is an obvious one ..but.. I don't recall noticing anything about it so far in the thread.
Tinky, doubleclick on the network icon in your tray or use Start/Settings/Netwark Connections.
In the window that appears select Properties.
In the window that appears scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). select it and click Properties.
In the window that appears make sure Otain an IP address automatically and Otain an DNS Server address automatically are selected. In case alternative settings are in effect then just make a note of them for now.
|
Thank you Mick, unfortunately the network icon only appears intermitently, at the moment it is not visible, so I'm not able to click on it. I don't know how to view the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) doodah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
Sorry been busy trying to sort out an issue with my own servers...
I suggested you default the BIOS, this is when you go to boot up the PC it should say something like "Press F2" (or DEL) to enter setup. In there the last page normally lets you select defaults.
As for the puppy linux I suggested if as you only need the PC working for a short length of time.. You need IMGBURN installed to create a bootable DVD or CD from the puppylinux ISO file. Once created you'd then boot the PC from the disk. Puppy Linux (if it is a XP fault) would let you use the PC for internet and then after your visitors left you can then look at re-installing XP or stick with puppy linux..
|
Sorry Kymmy if I gave the wrong impression, and I am very grateful for all your help. I don't want to lose my XP system as I have no means of reinstalling it (don't have installation disk). I would like to use the old machine as a standby and not just for a temporary fix, if I could just get the internet connection going permanently it would be brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFalcon
Onboard NIC's can be a barsteward, i once an issue when playing games online the sound would bomb out with squeaks and garbles then the pc would lock up solid.... spent literally months trying to figure it out and it was down to the onboard NIC was bad in some way..
u could try turning off the nic in the bios and see if that sorts out the mouse problem, if it does try and get your hands on a pci based NIC they can be picked up pretty cheap from ebay 
|
Thank you Jade for that, it's just a bit too complicated for my simple mind, and I would rather not tamper with the bios. Your reply is very much appreciated.
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 19:32
|
#32
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
I must admit to running short of ideas at this point.
If your router & modem setup is working with a different pc I'd say that is proven OK. You've tried different cables so it can't be that.
If I had the pc in my workshop the next thing I would try is a spare network card in an expansion slot, just in case the on-board network hardware is broken. Windows says it's OK but the fact that ipconfig shows no data at all makes me doubt that.
Kymmy's idea about booting from a linux cd is a good one but requires burning an iso file to cd. Do you feel this is something you could try?
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 19:54
|
#33
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 135
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
turning off the nic in the bios is very very simple as its usually just one option usually called onboard LAN or onboard ethernet. if your managing to follow the instructions of the other posts then trust me its simple  ))
my 2 year old could do it if i showed him what to do
its even simpler than adding a gfx card and ram to a pc which my GF has done herself.
as per Dai's post even if you added another hardware NIC then you would still need to turn off the onboard one just to be sure that its not a bad nic causing both the network and mouse problems
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 21:23
|
#34
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
http://www.ebuyer.com/60065-dynamode...b-nic-1427-100
Could be an option. Though this is assuming that the onboard card is dead and that its not just a software issue (The linux ISO that Kymmy suggested would be able to eliminate the latter as a possibility).
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 06:49
|
#35
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty
Kymmy's idea about booting from a linux cd is a good one but requires burning an iso file to cd. Do you feel this is something you could try?
|
I have no doubt Kymmys idea is a good one, and I could do what is required burning file to CD etc, but would rather stay with XP Dai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFalcon
turning off the nic in the bios is very very simple as its usually just one option usually called onboard LAN or onboard ethernet. if your managing to follow the instructions of the other posts then trust me its simple  ))
my 2 year old could do it if i showed him what to do 
|
Many thanks Jade but I'm not for messing with the bios as yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte
|
My feeling is that the on board card is dead, so I have ordered the above adaptor to save all the faffing around. Will get back to you when I receive it.
Thank you all for your interest and help in this matter, what would I do without you! 
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 08:38
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
I have no doubt Kymmys idea is a good one, and I could do what is required burning file to CD etc, but would rather stay with XP Dai.
|
That's where you;ve assumed that the Linux will replace the XP..
Puppylinux will run from the CD/DVD and will not delete your XP files.. I was giving you the option as it's a quick stop-gap measure to get the PC working for your sister-in-laws holiday if you can't get XP running now..
After she's been/gone you can then concentrate on the XP.
Question.. Do you have the original KEY and DISKS for the XP install??
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 09:39
|
#37
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
That's where you;ve assumed that the Linux will replace the XP..
Puppylinux will run from the CD/DVD and will not delete your XP files.. I was giving you the option as it's a quick stop-gap measure to get the PC working for your sister-in-laws holiday if you can't get XP running now..
After she's been/gone you can then concentrate on the XP.
Question.. Do you have the original KEY and DISKS for the XP install??
|
Kymmy I did burn the Puppy to CD but I didn't know how to work it so gave up. I've ordered a usb network adaptor, so will be content with that hopefully. May have to seriously consider the puppy alternative if new adaptor doesn't solve the problem, will keep you up to date with position. Many thanks!
PS do not have KEY and DISKS for the XP install.
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 10:16
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
Kymmy I did burn the Puppy to CD but I didn't know how to work it so gave up. I've ordered a usb network adaptor, so will be content with that hopefully. May have to seriously consider the puppy alternative if new adaptor doesn't solve the problem, will keep you up to date with position. Many thanks!
PS do not have KEY and DISKS for the XP install.
|
Is the key not affixed to the case? On HPs they usually are. If it is I can get a copy to you (100% legit) that will install fine on your system.
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 10:36
|
#39
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Zr that is really kind of you and I do appreciate what you are offering. There is a key on the side but puzzlingly it is for 'Microsoft Windows 98 second edition' where as my OS is XP Professional - strange eh? However I digress, at present I am not considering uninstalling/installing a new system, so with respect, unless something catastrophic happens I will have to decline. But believe me if the need arises I will be in touch with you pronto! Going to go first with the new adaptor when it arrives.  Many thanks once again!
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 10:48
|
#40
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
For the key download and run this program
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/down...rInstaller.exe
That will tell you the key for the installed XP (and office as well as a few other programs)
As for the disk you might have someone closer who can loan you a copy.. As long as you have the original key you should be fine
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 11:26
|
#41
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
For the key download and run this program
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/down...rInstaller.exe
That will tell you the key for the installed XP (and office as well as a few other programs)
As for the disk you might have someone closer who can loan you a copy.. As long as you have the original key you should be fine
|
Thank you Kymmy for that, it could certainly come in handy, I've downloaded to my memory stick just in case.
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 12:04
|
#42
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
There is a key on the side but puzzlingly it is for 'Microsoft Windows 98 second edition' where as my OS is XP Professional - strange eh?
|
Not that odd actually. That model pc was sold with windows 98 installed so it looks like XP is a later upgrade.
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 22:48
|
#43
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 135
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
even IF you buy a new network card, if the onboard card is causing the mouse problem then that will still occur and you wont know till that is turned off.
will somebody back me up on how simple it is to turn off the onboard nic plz
|
|
|
12-08-2011, 23:16
|
#44
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFalcon
even IF you buy a new network card, if the onboard card is causing the mouse problem then that will still occur and you wont know till that is turned off.
will somebody back me up on how simple it is to turn off the onboard nic plz 
|
It is pretty simple but tink wont need to do it because the onboard NIC is only causing this with a cable connected. The cable will be in the USB NIC so the problem goes away. That is assuming the fault is hardware and not software but either way disabling the card will have little impact now tink has bought the USB.
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 06:13
|
#45
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeFalcon
will somebody back me up on how simple it is to turn off the onboard nic plz 
|
Jade I believe you, I believe you, honest injuns lol! If the new adaptor (when it arrives) doesn't work I shall be trying all the above, I'm not quite ready to give up yet! Thank you for trying so hard to help me.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:18.
|