Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?
View Poll Results: TiVo BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?
Yes 38 61.29%
No 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2012, 18:10   #31
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age
Re: BBC Red Button - will it arrive before the Olympics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Why can't Virgin deliver what their customers deserve? Why are they only catering to 12% of their TV customer base? Virgin are hiding BBC content behind a paywall by insisting only TiVo customers can get access.
I think you will find that it's the BBC cuts that made this happen, which you have in no small part James Murdoch to thank with his anti BBC lobbing campaign. He has other things on his mind right now, the slimball.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
As l said the other day whoevers devises Virgin's ongoing strategy needs locking up and the keys thrown away because ever since the price rises were announced they have stumbled from one incompetent own goal to another and while they do that Sky sail away to the other side of the world laughing their heads off while Virgin are still stuck in dry dock.
That's only true if you don't know what's coming down the pipe.
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2012, 18:19   #32
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
I think you will find that it's the BBC cuts that made this happen, which you have in no small part James Murdoch to thank with his anti BBC lobbing campaign. He has other things on his mind right now, the slimball.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

That's only true if you don't know what's coming down the pipe.
Well at present the pipe seems pretty blocked up and l am not sure when someone is going to come round to unblock it to reveal some seams of gold.
Old 03-04-2012, 19:30   #33
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well at present the pipe seems pretty blocked up
That is all the data that the Murdoch's are shoving down the pan
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 19:34   #34
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchain View Post
That was when the BBC made it clear that the streams would only be made available online or via internet 'connected' devices such as TiVo so not possible on non-Tivo boxes. This is no longer the case so no reason to believe it will still be restricted to TiVo.

The Guardian is simply referencing older, possibly outdated, info. The BBC announced only today that it will now make its twenty-four live Olympic streams available to cable and satellite providers, on a non-exclusive basis.
Some good points.

I think I'll stop ranting and allow time for events to unfold. I'm sure Virgin will come good on this. I just can't see how M+, L and XL customers without TiVo, who pay substantial monthly subscriptions to Virgin, would be expected to be happy receiving the same coverage that's being served up on Freeview free of charge.

The following quote from the BBC website appears promising:

"Mr Mosey said the BBC had agreed with Sky and Freesat to show the live streams across 24 channels, with more announcements from other providers expected soon."

However further down in the article:

"However Mr Mosey added: "Not every platform will be able to accommodate such a huge technical offer, which amounts to 48 channels in total if you count 24 SD (Standard Definition) plus 24 HD."

Lets hope he is referring to platforms such as BT Vision etc...

I'm picturing SKY's summer add campaign already. The only place to watch Euro 2012, London 2012 and F1 in HD this summer. Take our HD package this summer and for a limited amount of time enjoy up to 84 HD channels!

I thought it was Virgin who were gunning for between 80 to 90 HD channels. I think, if you route around the internet, SKY will become the worlds biggest provider of linear HD channels this summer.

Let's hope that Usain Bolt can help Virgin "Keep Up" with SKY in terms of Olympic HD channels.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 19:46   #35
pk1
cf.addict

Services: Sky Fibre Max Broadband, Sky Telephone, Sky Q 2TB
pk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to beholdpk1 is a splendid one to behold

UPDATE: We've now heard from Virgin Media which has confirmed it will be offering all of its TiVo subscribers the 24 live HD streams through the new BBC Sport application we first wrote about at the end of last year. The app will be accessible through the proprietary BBC/TiVo Red Button service, and will aggregate all of the content so that it's selectable from the one place.

Found here http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4514...24-hd-channels
pk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:05   #36
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

that's as we thought.

Does anyone know how many streams they will make available to those who will not pay extra for the Tivo box? As I said earlier, my best guess is the two streams which will be available to those with Freeview, and nothing more as they'll use this as another way to try to persuade people to get Tivo.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:13   #37
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

What will now be availale for V box customers hasn't yet been announced
Old 03-04-2012, 20:16   #38
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Thank you for that Ben.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Incidentally, I wonder what Smallworld Cable will end up doing - ie will these 24 streams be available to Smallworld subscribers?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:19   #39
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
UPDATE: We've now heard from Virgin Media which has confirmed it will be offering all of its TiVo subscribers the 24 live HD streams through the new BBC Sport application we first wrote about at the end of last year. The app will be accessible through the proprietary BBC/TiVo Red Button service, and will aggregate all of the content so that it's selectable from the one place.

Found here http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4514...24-hd-channels
That's a massive slap in the face to 3,500,000 non-TiVo Virgin customers. So to sum it up then, as we stand just now:

All streams are free to all of SKY's 10,000,000 customers. Even people with an old dish without a subscription will get access.

All streams are free to Freesat's 2,000,000 customers.

Freeview will be offering the exact same content as Virgin customers who are on M+, L and XL without TiVo however Virgin customers, as we stand just now, will be paying a subscription to access the material where as Freeview is completely free to view.

Virgin customers who want to access all the streams, as we stand just now, will need at least the M+ package with TiVo costing £18.00 per month without the ability to record the streams. All streams will be made available to just 450,000 of Virgins television subscribers.

How can Virgin spin this to look like a good deal. The Olympics are huge, especially when they are hosted within our country, and have attracted some of the biggest TV audiences of all time.

Why would people think of joining Virgin, just for full access to the games when they can get it for free elsewhere. Even current Virgin customers, without TiVo, who are out of contract must surely see the value of going elsewhere for their Olympic fix.

For me Virgin are trying to push TiVo onto their customers way too hard.
Old 03-04-2012, 20:26   #40
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You are making assumptions. There has been NO confirmation as to what V box customers will or will not get.

How about waiting for facts?
Old 03-04-2012, 20:27   #41
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What will now be availale for V box customers hasn't yet been announced
That would be interesting. If V box and V+ box customers get all 24 streams as linear channels then what really is the point and value of the app launching on TiVo? Surely TiVo customers would much rather all 24 linear channels launch on their platform too.

I've got TiVo and V+ and would much rather have linear channels on both.
Old 03-04-2012, 20:28   #42
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

For instance

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8b87379a-7...#axzz1r0Vwuykj

Quote:
It is very likely that Virgin will soon announce an agreement similar to Sky’s. On Tuesday a spokesperson from Virgin said the company was “very much in talks” with the BBC about broadcasting its Olympics coverage.
Old 03-04-2012, 20:33   #43
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
But the problems is Ben that Virgin instead of leading always seem to be a hundred yards behind with regards to announcements and they need to get their fingers out and lead the race instead of trailing with the stragglers all the time.
Old 03-04-2012, 20:36   #44
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Except by the looks of the FT announcement, Sky are coughing up for the BBC to provide the streams - because that's the only way to get them to Sky's customers

Up till now, the BBC have been fairly clear that the streams would be IPTV based only, so I reckon that is what Virgin have been preparing

So they have to be sure of what they can do with the streams before they can announce anything
Old 03-04-2012, 20:39   #45
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You are making assumptions. There has been NO confirmation as to what V box customers will or will not get.

How about waiting for facts?
Sorry I don't beleive I am making assumptions. My views and opinions were based on the information available in the link posted by PK1 and other sources today such as BBC News and SKY's website. I also used the term "as we stand just now" to portray that the post was based on the info currently available in the public domain.

I think my post is a fair assessment of how things currently look, until Virgin confirm to their non-TiVo customers otherwise.