Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 04-02-2014, 21:14   #421
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
Jeez,I had hardly typed out a reply tae Chris (cable forum mod) when two more mods jump in like a shot,are you both off your rocker.
Anyway,I have given my reasons,what I will say is this,I posted on Twitter to an number of followers that the 'Dirty Tricks' mob would be out in force over the next few months,any neutral looking in on this debate would clearly see how frightened you are,you are but won't admit it,aren't you.
A 5% swing ing the polls will have Better Together in a complete panic,you all thought at the outset that it would be a formality but now you all have squeaky bums,get used tae it chaps,our day will come,mark my words.
Got to laugh at your debating style - anyone who disagrees with your views or your approach in discussions is a member of the 'dirty tricks' brigade.

So we are 'frightened' because we think it would be more interesting if you took part in a reasoned discussion, rather than your usual diatribes, ad hominem attacks, and circular reasoning?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2014, 22:57   #422
Jimi
Permanently Banned

Services: VM
Jimi doesn't have many friendsJimi doesn't have many friendsJimi doesn't have many friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
sorry, I can't understand what you're saying.
No comprende Senor.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I cannot wait for the referendum, especially if its a NO.
I cannot wait for the referendum,especially when it will be YES.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
"Jimi" - you're not "Tommy" the "Taxi driver" are you?

The scourge of phone ins the length and breadth of Britain?
A thoroughly nice bloke is Tommy,catch his show anytime after midnight.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Got to laugh at your debating style - anyone who disagrees with your views or your approach in discussions is a member of the 'dirty tricks' brigade.

So we are 'frightened' because we think it would be more interesting if you took part in a reasoned discussion, rather than your usual diatribes, ad hominem attacks, and circular reasoning?
Calm down now Hugh,you are getting rather hot under the collar,I'm as entitled tae my views the same as everyone else on CF.
As for reasoned discussion,why is Cameron so scared of having a debate with Alex Salmond,eh,I'll tell you why,because Salmond would tie him in knots.
Nicola Sturgeon has already shown up the BT mob 3 times on TV,Cameron isn't daft,he knows he'd come off second best.
Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:20   #423
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Back to the Ad Hominem attack, I see - 'hot under the collar'...

You are entitled to your views - however, when challenged on your views, you react negatively and with diatribes, rather than reasoned discussion.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:06   #424
Mr Banana

Quote:
Jeez,I had hardly typed out a reply tae Chris (cable forum mod) when two more mods jump in like a shot,are you both off your rocker.
Anyway,I have given my reasons,what I will say is this,I posted on Twitter to an number of followers that the 'Dirty Tricks' mob would be out in force over the next few months,any neutral looking in on this debate would clearly see how frightened you are,you are but won't admit it,aren't you.
A 5% swing ing the polls will have Better Together in a complete panic,you all thought at the outset that it would be a formality but now you all have squeaky bums,get used tae it chaps,our day will come,mark my words.
Personally I don't give a hoot about what happens, however you are the only person I have come across from Scotland who wants to break away, so I fully expect Scotland to carry on as it is today, So what are you going to do when you lose Jimi and realise you are in a minority?

Btw the use of tae rather than to makes it difficult to take you seriously.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:55   #425
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Dirty tricks brigade??

Sorry but those were facts from businesses as reported on the news.

The only dirty tricks here are those being flung out by Salmond and the SNP.

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Personally I don't give a hoot about what happens, however you are the only person I have come across from Scotland who wants to break away, so I fully expect Scotland to carry on as it is today, So what are you going to do when you lose Jimi and realise you are in a minority?

Btw the use of tae rather than to makes it difficult to take you seriously.
He seems to think that one word makes him sound Scottish.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:31   #426
Wad_2002
Inactive

Services: Tivo & BB
Wad_2002 is on a distinguished roadWad_2002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As referendum day looms, the facts are coming home to roost. We have a successful, well-integrated and efficient union. It may not be perfect, but it works, and it works well. The alternative will be a costly mess.

The only sane vote is 'NO'.
Meanwhile on planet Earth...
Wad_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:45   #427
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I'm honestly quite nervous about the vote. With all the nonsense surrounding it i think a lot of people aren't taking it seriously enough. If the vote ends up yes then Salmond and his cronies could well end up completely breaking everything. What happens then? Does he or his successor beg to be let back into the UK? I doubt they would take us back lol.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:56   #428
Wad_2002
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I'm honestly quite nervous about the vote. With all the nonsense surrounding it i think a lot of people aren't taking it seriously enough. If the vote ends up yes then Salmond and his cronies could well end up completely breaking everything. What happens then? Does he or his successor beg to be let back into the UK? I doubt they would take us back lol.
Kabaal, what are we breaking extactly?? other than removing ourselves from a union drawn up hundreds of years ago i.e. in bibilcal times.

We have all the ingredients necessary to move forward with this like, we did in the 70's when we DID vote for indenpendance, but again due to a "technicality" it was not fullfilled.

p.s. to answer your question, no I don't thknk we would be aloud back in. We made our bed and we have to sleep in that...I can accept that responsbility
Old 05-02-2014, 13:00   #429
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wad_2002 View Post
Kabaal, what are we breaking extactly?? other than removing ourselves from a union drawn up hundreds of years ago i.e. in bibilcal times.
Biblical times were 2000 years ago.

Do you really think Scotland could sustain its own economy?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:07   #430
Wad_2002
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Biblical times were 2000 years ago.

Do you really think Scotland could sustain its own economy?
Sorry, I should have said we joined a union in a generation which is completly socially and techinically outdated compared to today's era and standards.

Yeah, I do believe this...I really cannot see why not.

Other than indivduals, orgainsations and companies, who have power and wealth to loose and may cost them hundreds of millions ££ of restructuring.

Do you think we live in a society focussed and fueled on personal gain?
Old 05-02-2014, 13:09   #431
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Yeah, I do believe this...I really cannot see why not.

Other than indivduals, orgainsations and companies, who have power and wealth to loose and may cost them hundreds of millions ££ of restructing.
Even though various business leaders and company chairmen have cast serious doubts? These people have no real reason to lie or mislead.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:26   #432
Wad_2002
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Even though various business leaders and company chairmen have cast serious doubts? These people have no real reason to lie or mislead.
Its a fair point of which I would find difficult to argue with you.

However, one of there sole responbilities as head of these companies its to protect profits and assests and maximise cashflow where possible which off would be at risk with independance.

Due to the current infructure of the world and way it works/turns over this now, I think its difficult even for anyone to say whats going to happen.

It makes things worse that we may not even keep the pound. Again I say why can we not?

Its more like kids in a sweet shop fighting over which they want rather than sharing and being equal. ( on the pound debate anyway)

Edit...one way of looking at possibly, is BP make more cash when UK is together, a split form the UK would reduce profits. I know if I owned a multimillion company that was at risk of losing money due to the vote, I would doing anything in the intrests of my company.
Old 05-02-2014, 13:37   #433
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

I thought the BoE Governor explained the pound situation quite well - how can the Scots have independent taxation and the same currency as the rest of the UK?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-25930075
Old 05-02-2014, 13:38   #434
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

We have all the ingredients necessary to move forward with this like, we did in the 70's when we DID vote for indenpendance, but again due to a "technicality" it was not fullfilled.

p.s. to answer your question, no I don't thknk we would be aloud back in. We made our bed and we have to sleep in that...I can accept that responsbility
Erm no, Scotland did not vote for independence in the 1970s. There was a devolution referendum, which was defeated. The "technicality" was a quorum, which is a totally uncontroversial device in decisions involving constitutional change. IMO there should have been one in 1997 as well, although I believe Scotland would have met it. Wales certainly wouldn't and as a result the Assembly came into existence with the active support of fewer than 25% of Welsh voters.

I believe there should have been a quorum for this year's referendum as well. It can in no way be said to be the settled will of the Scottish people to effect permanent, radical constitutional change unless a majority of adults - all of them, not just the turnout - are sufficiently motivated to go out and vote for it.

Permanent and major constitutional changes should be demonstrated by more than 50% +1 of whichever voters turn out on the day. If the result is 49-51 for the union, the separatists will keep agitating forever and a day until they get what they want, arguing that opinions might have changed, but if it goes 51-49 the other way, the destruction of the modern British state will be permanent.

It's all very well you being happy with the consequences but our children have to live in the land we are at risk of birthing this year and we have a responsibility to them.

Cameron has been a pragmatist in allowing the seps to have their referendum, with votes for teens and no quorum, because he knew there was a risk that Salmond the ever-reckless would simply go ahead anyway and plan to try to fight for his result through the courts if necessary. But there is a real risk now, if the result is close, whichever way it falls, of long lasting social damage.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:51   #435
RizzyKing

So you want independence and you want to keep the pound and that will no doubt be another thing where Scotland dictates and gets what it wants in the eye's of the SNP no doubt expecting to have some control over the pound as well. Personally if the majority of Scots want to go it alone then cya good luck and start your own things in all regards not this ridiculous picking and choosing the best bits that Alex Salmond believes everyone is just going to do. I'm not an economist but even I can see the snp's sums don't add up and his expectations are completely unrealistic regarding the political side as well.

If you do vote to leave and when it all goes terribly wrong you shouldn't be allowed back into the union unless we vote to allow Scotland back in your not just messing about with something small and you keep whatever debt you run up.