Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 22-01-2014, 19:00   #4216
TonyM19
Inactive

TonyM19 is on a distinguished roadTonyM19 is on a distinguished road
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
I think I'll have a rest from premium sports channels from May to September this year.

I have alternate means of watching live channels (at the pub or round a mate's etc etc) but I'll only really lose the ability to record. Besides, it's world cup year and I'll only really miss the cricket and golf.

Should save me over Ł100 and I plan to do it every Summer if it works.
I cancelled Sky Sports at the end of the Rugby League season. I've been threatening to do so for the last few years but took the plunge this year. I haven't missed it one iota. I'm considering just going with Premier Sports (for the NRL) and not bothering with Sky Sports at all
TonyM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2014, 14:24   #4217
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM19 View Post
I cancelled Sky Sports at the end of the Rugby League season. I've been threatening to do so for the last few years but took the plunge this year. I haven't missed it one iota. I'm considering just going with Premier Sports (for the NRL) and not bothering with Sky Sports at all
Are you in to any other sports though? I might end up turning it back on for the Rugby Championship in August, as I'll miss that.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 21:46   #4218
TonyM19
Inactive

TonyM19 is on a distinguished roadTonyM19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
Are you in to any other sports though? I might end up turning it back on for the Rugby Championship in August, as I'll miss that.
I like a lot of sports, but mainly RL. I can live with the sport on the other channels. I go to a lot of live games anyway
TonyM19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 17:36   #4219
Gunslinger
cf.addict

Services: VM XL, Tivo, BB, Prime, Now TV, Tennis TV
Gunslinger is on a distinguished roadGunslinger is on a distinguished road

Looks like another major player is emerging for the next round of sports rights. Interesting times...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...ague-tv-rights
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 18:21   #4220
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Looks like another major player is emerging for the next round of sports rights. Interesting times...

The only thing will transpire for us customers will be higher and higher bills as the more bidders there are the higher the bids will be thus further price rises are inevitable for premium sports customers.
Old 24-01-2014, 20:42   #4221
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Interesting piece at the bottom of the article:

"John Malone, the chairman of Virgin Media's parent company Liberty Global, is one of the largest shareholders in Discovery Communications. Malone, chief executive of Discovery from 2005 until 2008 when the company was taken public in the US, holds a stake which gives him almost 30% of the voting power. He is a director and member of the executive committee of Discovery."
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 21:49   #4222
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Andy Gray to return as commentator with BT Sport

Former Sky Sports commentator to return to screens with BT Sport three years to the day after sexism storm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-BT-Sport.html
fantastic! he's a million times better than Owen and thats saying something!
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 22:22   #4223
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Very interesting.

"It is understood the decision to appoint Gray, widely credited with reinventing football punditry in Britain during almost 20 years at Sky, is part of a wider strategy to build a relationship with Middle East network beIN Sports, formerly Al Jazeera Sport."

Al Jazeera Sports failed to buy Premiership rights during the last bidding process.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/al-ja...ts-474012.html

The Premiership rights are up for auction at the end of this year. I wonder if BT Sports and beIn Sports are considering a combined bid to take away all rights from SKY? They could split the costs 50/50 and the rights 50/50.

Not unrealistic. BT and beInb Sports could legitimately kill SKY Sports dead. Without Premiership football and Champions League football SKY would be really up against it.
Old 25-01-2014, 00:00   #4224
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
He's brilliant, the biggest mistake SŁY have ever done!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 07:58   #4225
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
He's brilliant, the biggest mistake SŁY have ever done!
About time Andy was back on our tv`s,his expertease is second to none. And when you think what other celebrities have done Andy is a saint
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:30   #4226
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Looks like someone has the crystal ball out again
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:54   #4227
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Old 25-01-2014, 12:48   #4228
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Looks like someone has the crystal ball out again
Old 26-01-2014, 06:54   #4229
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:

That's not really what is implied by the comments of the broadcaster in the article though.

Like anyone in the Sports market they will 'look' at it, but seriously they would need to make big effort to make a dent in the English market and at recent prices it is vastly overinflated.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 13:29   #4230
Chad
cf.mega poster

I've asked this before buy can't remember the answer.

Do Virgin offer just SKY Sports 1 & 2, rather than the full SKY Sports pack, if you call up and ask for it? If so, how much is it with Essential Family / Premium.

Thanks