Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 12-05-2011, 10:59   #406
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Double check respond to ping is still ticked, I've heard a few people claim to have ticked this option but for some reason it hasn't worked.

I'm also guessing you've already checked to see if it actually is your wan IP that's being pinged by the TBB monitor
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2011, 13:51   #407
Vector
Inactive

Vector is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to make a new monitor, seems to be working now.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 15:35   #408
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
I had to make a new monitor, seems to be working now.
I can only assume you were pinging the wrong IP addy, at least it's sorted now though
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 16:26   #409
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Double check respond to ping is still ticked, I've heard a few people claim to have ticked this option but for some reason it hasn't worked.

I'm also guessing you've already checked to see if it actually is your wan IP that's being pinged by the TBB monitor
when i was using the superhub, it wasnt responding to pings with it ticked or unticked... god the amount of time i spent doing factory resets on that thing, one i did a restore, and ticked the box it started working
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 18:26   #410
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

That 9-11am 'blip' of low latency is interesting. But overall, the local network seems to have improved quite a bit these past few weeks.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 18:46   #411
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post

That 9-11am 'blip' of low latency is interesting. But overall, the local network seems to have improved quite a bit these past few weeks.
you have the same setup as mine (RT-N16 with tomato), its pretty good me thinks. I was running DDWRT but wireless was a bit iffy with one of my laptops, its fine under tomato
Old 12-05-2011, 22:55   #412
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

tomato works on the dir615? I cant find a device list. Also does the same firmware file work on all routers?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 23:00   #413
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#...ll_this_run_on
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 23:35   #414
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

ta, so is quite limited then compared to ddwrt.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 00:16   #415
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Everything short of high-capacity business networking solutions are limited compared to DD-WRT. That it's still free and the main developer isn't a millionaire, well, it's an injustice I suppose.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 00:31   #416
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Someone has stolen my pings
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 11:35   #417
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Oh yeah. Big improvement, just as I was boasting about. Not sure what's up with the flashes of latency but since the connection is new maybe that has something to do with it; definitely seems more stable as it gets further along.

As comparison, here's the sign of congestion on the old legacy network, although it's nowhere near as bad as some I've seen.

Believe it or not, this is the best day in May for the old setup... it's been acting oddly ever since VM commendably did the upload speed upgrade months ahead of schedule. Some of the graphs had massive latency spikes, although I'm willing to attribute that to unusually high P2P traffic in the household recently.

That aside, the Ambit 250 was having trouble hitting the 2Mb mark; 1.6Mb was more likely although download speeds were spot on 20Mb most of the time. Still, it was a damn good modem all the way up until retirement, and it's nice to be on the DOCSIS3 network ready for the jump to 50Mb.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 18:30   #418
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
you have the same setup as mine (RT-N16 with tomato), its pretty good me thinks. I was running DDWRT but wireless was a bit iffy with one of my laptops, its fine under tomato
It is a solid little beast I'm pretty sure the box mentioned being able to handle 5,000 connections. Which is more than enough. I bet the superhub would be on fire at that many, if it hadn't required rebooting first.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 18:34   #419
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
It is a solid little beast I'm pretty sure the box mentioned being able to handle 5,000 connections. Which is more than enough. I bet the superhub would be on fire at that many, if it hadn't required rebooting first.
the superhub burn up at 350
Old 13-05-2011, 19:23   #420
Bullstein
Inactive

Bullstein is an unknown quantity at this point

I got upgraded to 100MB from 50MB service today

Very helpful VM engineer agreed to set up my vnmg300 and took the superhub away with him
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...0-page-22.html

I'm a happy chap
Bullstein is offline   Reply With Quote