Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CF: Clickers Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

CF: Clickers Corner

Old 20-04-2010, 16:27   #406
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Re: CF: Clickers Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
So that's the definition of a camera geek. Someone who swaps his camera lens in a Tesco carrier bag. I assume the more upperclass geek will use a Harrods bag.

Sorry DW couldn't resist.
I'm not proud. It doubles up as a camera raincoat too.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2010, 16:47   #407
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

As long as you don't wear it on your head. Although I suppose the handles could be tied as a chin strap to keep it in place in high winds.
Old 20-04-2010, 17:49   #408
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Quote:
As long as you don't wear it on your head. Although I suppose the handles could be tied as a chin strap to keep it in place in high winds.
Who's been talking... I thought I'd destroyed all those negatives.
Old 20-04-2010, 18:12   #409
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I think I may have caught a reflection of your fetching head gear in one of the big wheel shots I saw a few months ago now I come to think of it. I knew there was a reason I found them so interesting.

Pick your brain time please DW.

I want to take a photo of a mirror with both the refection of an item and the item itself showing... but I want the background of the actual reflection to be a solid colour and not have me in it. I know I could achieve the look I want by hitting the photoshop route but can you think of a way I could do it without using any manipulation of the image. It's driving me crackers and I'm ready to throw a tantrum.
Old 20-04-2010, 19:13   #410
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
I want to take a photo of a mirror with both the refection of an item and the item itself showing... but I want the background of the actual reflection to be a solid colour and not have me in it. I know I could achieve the look I want by hitting the photoshop route but can you think of a way I could do it without using any manipulation of the image. It's driving me crackers and I'm ready to throw a tantrum.
You need to shoot at an angle to keep yourself out of the picture. In the attached image I'm positioned to the right of the mirror just out of shot, I placed a towel on a tall clothes dryer to act as a plain background. In this shot I focused on the back of the shell in the mirror and used the lowest f stop (for this lens f32) to get the best depth of field so that everything was in focus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-04-20 - Mirror.jpg (86.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 20-04-2010, 19:18   #411
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Recover that Photo, Picture or File You Deleted Accidentally - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15120...-accidentally/
Old 20-04-2010, 19:30   #412
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thanks DW. Now I have seen that the shot I want to take is possible I will persevere with my attempt. I may just have to go for a lighter background as I think a lot of my problems have been caused with my trying to light the shot. Four torches and a desk lamp have got John in muttering mode again.
Old 20-04-2010, 19:49   #413
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks DW. Now I have seen that the shot I want to take is possible I will persevere with my attempt. I may just have to go for a lighter background as I think a lot of my problems have been caused with my trying to light the shot. Four torches and a desk lamp have got John in muttering mode again.
I shot it with just the light coming through the kitchen window (on the shells left), sometimes natural light solves a lot of problems. You can use white card/paper or a white towel to bounce light into dark places.
Old 20-04-2010, 22:09   #414
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Thanks Delta and Uncle Peter. I feel a little better knowing that I litterally only had it exposed whilst I flipped the lens over the top, so not too long.

I cant wait to get photographing. I have got insurance on the camera body just in case.

It's meant to be good weather this weekend so will probably head out into the countryside.

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

I was just wondering, are there any accesories you would suggest I must buy?
Such as those little brushes, lense claning liquids, filters, etc?

Thankyou.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 22:43   #415
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Thanks Delta and Uncle Peter. I feel a little better knowing that I litterally only had it exposed whilst I flipped the lens over the top, so not too long.

I cant wait to get photographing. I have got insurance on the camera body just in case.

It's meant to be good weather this weekend so will probably head out into the countryside.

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

I was just wondering, are there any accesories you would suggest I must buy?
Such as those little brushes, lense claning liquids, filters, etc?

Thankyou.
Cleaning: Giotto rocket blower brush and a lens cleaning pen.

Filters: Some people use UV filters to protect their lens but the jury's out. Personally I use L lenses and I don't want to be putting a cheaper piece of glass in front of an expensive piece of glass. The only filter I usually use is a Hoya Pro1 circular polariser which is useful for a number of purposes such as taming reflections off water or metallic surfaces, controlling the depth of colour and intensity of bright skies and helping to cut through haze.

Other stuff: Spare battery, spare memory cards, software (photoshop/lightroom), spider monitor calibration tool, good tripod and head
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 23:12   #416
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Thankyou.

I've got an 8GB memory card for the moment and think that will be good enough for now but will definately be looking into a tripod soon that is lightweight for taking with me.

I got this like plastic hood with my lense which I think I can fit on the top to protect it.

I'm going to buy a brush tommorow I think.

I love my camera!
Thankyou again.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 23:20   #417
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thankyou.

I've got an 8GB memory card for the moment and think that will be good enough for now but will definately be looking into a tripod soon that is lightweight for taking with me.

I got this like plastic hood with my lense which I think I can fit on the top to protect it.

I love my camera!
Thankyou again.
I think with tripods you have to strike a balance between portability and stability. If you buy a tripod which is too light you might be disappointed with the results especially if you're doing night work. If it's too light it will be susceptible to vibrations and being shaken by even light winds.

Look forward to seeing some shots with your new camera anyway
Old 21-04-2010, 08:31   #418
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Quote:
Thankyou.

I love my camera!
Thankyou again.
The plastic hood is there to keep glare out of the lens which reduces contrast, it also doubles as protection for the glass. Like Uncle Peter I don't use UV filters only a circular polariser. I second the Giotto rocket blower brush, for a lens brush I have a Hama Lens Cleaning Pen http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-0000560...1834647&sr=8-1 which has a brush one end and a carbon cleaning disk the other (for grease and fingerprints). I have a cheap tripod which is next to useless as it can't really hold the weight, that's my next upgrade, carbon fibre with a nice ball head £300 approx. At the moment I use a Gorrilapod SLR Zoom with Ball head http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joby-Gorilla...1834953&sr=1-1 which is very portable.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:11   #419
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

You could try ebay for a tripod, I picked a used one up on there for just £5, it's a little belter.

I also won a NEW 5 IN 1 80CM CIRCULAR REFLECTOR £12 including postage.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 10:57   #420
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Manfrotto 190XPROB+804RC2 head package is great value at around 150 quid http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPro...ubcat_Code=285 and it's not too heavy at 1.8kg. I've walked around with it strapped to the backpack and not even noticed it's on.