Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 17:01   #4156
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
No I didn't. You incorrectly inferred that. You need to be more careful.
Seph, I'm afraid I read it the same as Hugh. Maybe you've miswritten it or your criteria should only be taken in a specific and limited way?

You listed your five criteria that a patriotic Brit had to bear/support. Hugh said he didn't bear/support those five criteria. Therefore in your eyes he is not a patriotic Brit. In his eyes he is and he's served his country too.
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2020, 17:17   #4157
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Seph, I'm afraid I read it the same as Hugh. Maybe you've miswritten it or your criteria should only be taken in a specific and limited way?

You listed your five criteria that a patriotic Brit had to bear/support. Hugh said he didn't bear/support those five criteria. Therefore in your eyes he is not a patriotic Brit. In his eyes he is and he's served his country too.
Andrew - you're both wrong, I'm afraid. Hugh looks for this, especially where I'm concerned. This time you both have got it wrong and should accept my word on that.

With regard to the bit I've highlighted, my list was in the context of Brexit ("in these days"). It's easy to slip into the total negative, but I'm not questioning anyone's patriotism (I think) but perhaps questioning the degree.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 02-10-2020, 17:24   #4158
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You said
Quote:
A "Patriotic Brit" in these days would bear/support at least the following attributes:

1. Brexit means Brexit;
2. Leave means Leave;
3. British waters mean British waters;
4. Sovereignty means sovereignty;
5. Sod the SNP.
What would you call someone who does not support your 5 criteria?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 02-10-2020, 17:29   #4159
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Andrew - you're both wrong, I'm afraid. Hugh looks for this, especially where I'm concerned. This time you both have got it wrong and should accept my word on that.

With regard to the bit I've highlighted, my list was in the context of Brexit ("in these days"). It's easy to slip into the total negative, but I'm not questioning anyone's patriotism (I think) but perhaps questioning the degree.
I think you need to acknowledge that people have different opinions from you on these matters. It does not make them right and you wrong, or them more patriotic and you less patriotic, it just makes them different.

And it would indeed be a boring world if we all agreed.
Old 02-10-2020, 17:30   #4160
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Not respecting sovereignty and territorial boundaries [3and 4 on your list] hardly sounds patriotic to me.
1 and 2 don't matter anymore we are out
5 Some brits are Scottish and entitled to vote how they please even if if puts a power mad midget in charge of their demise.
Old 02-10-2020, 17:38   #4161
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Brexit update from Lord Frost.

Quote:
In other areas familiar differences remain. On the level playing field, including subsidy policy, we continue to seek an agreement that ensures our ability to set our own laws in the UK without constraints that go beyond those appropriate to a free trade agreement. There has been some limited progress here but the EU need to move further before an understanding can be reached. On fisheries the gap between us is unfortunately very large and, without further realism and flexibility from the EU, risks being impossible to bridge. These issues are fundamental to our future status as an independent country.
Link
Old 02-10-2020, 18:09   #4162
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Not respecting sovereignty and territorial boundaries [3and 4 on your list] hardly sounds patriotic to me.
1 and 2 don't matter anymore we are out
5 Some brits are Scottish and entitled to vote how they please even if if puts a power mad midget in charge of their demise.
Definition of a midget is 4 foot 10 inches - BJ is 5 foot 9 inches, so you shouldn’t call him a midget...

Last edited by Hugh; 02-10-2020 at 18:14.
Old 02-10-2020, 18:56   #4163
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You said

What would you call someone who does not support your 5 criteria?
A Remainer, obviously.

Old 02-10-2020, 19:07   #4164
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
A Remainer, obviously.
Can they be "Patriotic Brits"?
Old 02-10-2020, 20:12   #4165
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Donald Trump’s envoy to Northern Ireland has warned that Boris Johnson’s controversial threat to break the law over Brexit could present a “challenge” to the peace process under the Good Friday Agreement.

Mr Mulvaney said that, despite differences in tone which last week saw Secretary of State Mike Pompeo say simply that the US “trusts” Britain on the issue, the Republican and Democrat sides were sending “the same message” about the need to preserve peace.

Speaking to the Policy Exchange thinktank in London during a visit to both sides of the Irish Sea, Mr Mulvaney said that Mr Neal’s warning that the border issue would play a role in determining any UK/US trade deal was “a true statement”.

“That’s a true statement and that's not at all inconsistent with what you saw Secretary of State Pompeo say when Dominic Raab came to visit last week,” he said.
“The administration believes just as much in the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement as does Richie Neal… It is central.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...rtan-ntp-feeds
Old 02-10-2020, 20:29   #4166
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Can they be "Patriotic Brits"?
I didn't say they weren't. You inferred that.

Old 02-10-2020, 20:43   #4167
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I didn't say they weren't. You inferred that.
It's more than inferred, Seph. Hugh said that he doesn't meet your criteria to be a patriotic Brit which means in your opinion he's not.

I'm sure you didn't intend this to be the logical outcome of your post but it is. We can't read your mind, only your posts.
Old 02-10-2020, 21:37   #4168
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
It's more than inferred, Seph. Hugh said that he doesn't meet your criteria to be a patriotic Brit which means in your opinion he's not.

I'm sure you didn't intend this to be the logical outcome of your post but it is. We can't read your mind, only your posts.
No. Hugh might not meet some/all of the 5 criteria which I said were at least required; he probably satisfies other criteria that I didn't list.

On the bit I've highlighted, then don't try to read my mind, just read the posts if you want to and what you infer is your business.

Old 02-10-2020, 22:20   #4169
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No. Hugh might not meet some/all of the 5 criteria which I said were at least required; he probably satisfies other criteria that I didn't list.

On the bit I've highlighted, then don't try to read my mind, just read the posts if you want to and what you infer is your business.
If Hugh does not meet some/all of the criteria that you said were at least required then he's failed.
It doesn't matter if he's met other unknown criteria. It's the use of "at least" that means the other criteria are irrelevant if he's failed some/all of the five listed criteria you mentioned.
Old 02-10-2020, 23:10   #4170
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
If Hugh does not meet some/all of the criteria that you said were at least required then he's failed.
It doesn't matter if he's met other unknown criteria. It's the use of "at least" that means the other criteria are irrelevant if he's failed some/all of the five listed criteria you mentioned.
Look, it's all in the context of Brexit. Not World War 3 as regards patriotism.

Hugh's just being awkward, as usual.

Closed Thread