Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 18-08-2011, 14:25   #391
levi1989
Inactive

levi1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Hi there, I downloaded all new channels to get; the new hd channels I now have

BBC HD
ITV HD
4 HD
bbc one hd
itv one hd
is there any more hd channels available does anybody know?

But my main problem is when I downloaded these channels I downloaded literaly hundreds and ended up with alot of duplicates like 4 itv +1's etc etc so I have been on a deleting rampage and have just left the channels I use but I realised I deleted to many itv + 1 and now dont have it, is there anyway I can re download just that and not have to download the hundreds of pointless channels? Many thanks in advanced
levi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2011, 17:19   #392
Data123
Inactive

Data123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1989 View Post
Hi there, I downloaded all new channels to get; the new hd channels I now have

BBC HD
ITV HD
4 HD
bbc one hd
itv one hd
is there any more hd channels available does anybody know?
You can also get NHK World HD

11224 V

Have a look at http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html & just search the transponder you want.
Data123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 13:32   #393
scamps
Inactive

scamps is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
Looks like you've got the same problem as me - 99%L 0%S -will be keen to hear from anyone who knows what we need to do to fix this
I am just returning my ROSS HD Sat Kit kit to B&Q for a replacement. I set it up, Got the 99% signal strength, about 5% on quality but no channels - all reported as 'weak signals'. After about an hour of careful adjustment with no difference, the signal quality dropped to 25% (for no apparant reason) and then I discovered even cable unplugged made no difference to anything. I read one of these forum articles about a chap who set one of these things up by pointing the dish out of his bedroom window in Northumberland so I have a suumed that this is DOA.
Will see if I can get a signal meausring thing at B&Q.
So far my first experience of FTA sat is more than bad.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Any advice greatly appreciated before I bin this thing
scamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 13:40   #394
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If you've never set up a sat before then without an analogue signal meter it can be damn near impossible.

You might have had a strong signal but it could have been a totally different satellite especially as they can be sometimes only a few degrees apart and also a half a degree misalignment can also mean the difference between a good and bad signal.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 16:13   #395
scamps
Inactive

OK. Replaced the Kit #1 with Kit #2. Exactly the same. 99% PIC1 and about 0% PIC2. I can point the dish at the floor and it is still 99% picture stregth and 0% Quality. Ross the manufacturer, dont even admit to making this kit on their website. I am about to ring them. Again, if anybody knows how they fixed this 99% , 0% issue please let me know.
Old 22-08-2011, 16:17   #396
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Scamps, "Signal Strength" has nothing to do with the signal coming from the satellite to the LNB/dish. The signal strength is a measure of the signal between the LNB and your set-top box. It should always be high, regardless of where you point the dish.

"Signal Quality" is a measure of the signal being received at the LNB and if this is zero, your LNB is not receiving anything from any satellite.

What measures have you taken to establish the correct bit of sky to point your dish at?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 17:18   #397
scamps
Inactive

Aha. thanks for response. So at least the connections are good LNB- Coax - Sat REceiver

So, measures to establish correct bit of sky. I used www.dishpointer.com to get a direction (Azimuth and Elevation), trying both Astra 1 and Astra 2 to try get success. (Info on here seems to throw confusion on just which is the correct satellite)

I also watched the ROSS video on set up. It looks rediculously easy when their quality manager does the set up. slight adjustment and up comes the signal.

What am I missing? - I am getting nothing at all. Just about to see once again if I can get through to ROSS who so far have not picked up the phone.

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

also, neighbour has a dish on his wall. They look to be similar in elevation and direction.

If I need to get a meter to find a signal, which would you recommend?

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

I spoke with ROSS support and it is suggested using the factory preset, selecting BBC1 London and adjusting the dish until a picture is seen. Watching the signal quality monitor is of little use. Using the cheaper end of the market for signal metering is not really good. So it looks like I am getting to the end of the road. BTW This is the HD Satellite Kit (Not the SD).
Old 22-08-2011, 18:00   #398
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Astra 2 at 28.2 is the correct sat for UK freesat channels. As for the sat meter check ebay but any meter with an anolgue display and an audible signal will do (the audible signal is ideal as you don't need to look at the meter whilst balanced on top of a ladder. You shouldn't be paying more than a tenner for a meter, patch cable and delivery from ebay. I have a KONIG myself but that was because it was the cheapest at the time.

Just remember to have the meter at the dish end as then you can see or here the signal strength as you move the dish.
Old 22-08-2011, 18:16   #399
scamps
Inactive

OK Kymmy and Chris. Konig on order. Will forget the thing until it arrives. I had hoped the sat technology would have been a little bit easier, but FTA or Freesat are definitely the way to go. Better setup design would certainly be a bigger threat to SLY!
Old 22-08-2011, 18:57   #400
Kymmy
Inactive

Sat tech is very easy once the dish is pointing in the right direction.. When you get the meter you'll see how easy it is to miss the sat with just a small movement
Old 22-08-2011, 19:10   #401
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamps View Post
OK Kymmy and Chris. Konig on order. Will forget the thing until it arrives. I had hoped the sat technology would have been a little bit easier, but FTA or Freesat are definitely the way to go. Better setup design would certainly be a bigger threat to SLY!
To be fair, the set-top box setup is effortless on a branded Freesat box and has a better overall user experience than either a Ross FTA box or a Sky box. The Ross has no EPG worth speaking of and the Sky one is loaded with all the channels you can't watch, but which they want to sell you.

But for all three options, you invite a world of pain by trying to do the dish install yourself rather than having a trained installer do it for you. Kudos to you for trying though.
Old 22-08-2011, 19:28   #402
Kymmy
Inactive

I like my little FTA box (though it's not a ROSS) and I do get 7 days EPG
Old 22-08-2011, 19:42   #403
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I like my little FTA box (though it's not a ROSS) and I do get 7 days EPG
Oh, I don't doubt that there are some highly functional FTA boxes out there ... but the Ross isn't one of them. You pays your money, you takes your choice ...
Old 22-08-2011, 21:08   #404
scamps
Inactive

Kymmy, I hope you are proved right once I get the finder :-)

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

I think it might be called 'Learning the hard way'. But still, I have learned a lot about planning for HD+ (FreeSat+ or FTA) Sat systems today :-) The B&Q initiative is a bit of a impulse punt to test the HD water and I suppose it is worth it!
Old 24-08-2011, 14:29   #405
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

Kymmy put me on to the konig sat finder which i bought off amazon for £6 delivered.it is vvvery good.you need to start with the ross dish VERTICAL scamps.then turn it east a tiny bit from the south faceing and up will pop astra and euro.next too it is astra 1c and 1ce which will give you the bbc stations.i am using ross stuff FTA with no probs,percievere with it scamps

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

ps ive located 500 plus channels

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

pps,most of em crap,,,lol

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

thank for the konig info Kymmy.
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote