Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 19-06-2013, 09:34   #3841
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

jarrodstrachan is on a distinguished roadjarrodstrachan is on a distinguished road
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Well last night my internet went off without warning, came back on and I've been upgraded to 120mb .

Bittersweet because I know the network in my area cant deal with the 10mb upload speeds never mind 12mb. Anyway, the fix date for upstream utilisation is only about a month away (hopefully)

jarrodstrachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2013, 09:47   #3842
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
AFAIK DOCSIS3 = 24 (source= the (euro)CableLabs specs).
Interesting! According to the Wiki article, there is no defined limit so I wonder if that's a EuroDOCSIS thing.

Still, be pretty sweet to have a 1334.88Mbit connection!
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 12:08   #3843
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The hump in the middle is when I set the SH2 5GHz wireless away from 450 Mbps to 217 Mbps. It's now set back to 450 Mbps and the phenomenon is repeatable.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 14:36   #3844
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Interesting! According to the Wiki article, there is no defined limit so I wonder if that's a EuroDOCSIS thing.

Still, be pretty sweet to have a 1334.88Mbit connection!
Possibly since one obvious difference is DOCSIS 6MHz v euroDOCSIS 8MHz bandwidth, but then VM did that much publicised 1+Gbps trial in London a while back? Then again DOCSIS3.1 with orthogonal frequency division whatcha-me-callits is a forthcoming interest that is still in "chicken & egg" stage in respect of getting the on wafer silicon costs down with an as yet unknown demand to warrant volume yield rates to persuade incumbent ISP/MSO's to upgrade their infrastructure to clean up RF spectrum 5-1002MHz!
All rather exciting but a tad difficult to objectively differentiate the marking spin/hyperbole from the technical reality!
Can't see VM even entertaining any pilots until BT Infinity start cramping their style further in next couple of years time!
…and then DOCSIS 4 will hit us!
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 15:09   #3845
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

you snooze you lose.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 16:40   #3846
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
Possibly since one obvious difference is DOCSIS 6MHz v euroDOCSIS 8MHz bandwidth, but then VM did that much publicised 1+Gbps trial in London a while back? Then again DOCSIS3.1 with orthogonal frequency division whatcha-me-callits is a forthcoming interest that is still in "chicken & egg" stage in respect of getting the on wafer silicon costs down with an as yet unknown demand to warrant volume yield rates to persuade incumbent ISP/MSO's to upgrade their infrastructure to clean up RF spectrum 5-1002MHz!
All rather exciting but a tad difficult to objectively differentiate the marking spin/hyperbole from the technical reality!
Can't see VM even entertaining any pilots until BT Infinity start cramping their style further in next couple of years time!
…and then DOCSIS 4 will hit us!
One can only hope! If it's a supply and Demand thing, then I'd like to think that LibGlobal will make it worth their while. Ordering a bunch of equipment for one ISP, even one the size of Virgin, is one thing but for an ISP the size of LibGlobal? I guess it depends on how they run their franchises as well but fingers crossed.

Do you really expect to see a DOCSIS 4, though? Seems as though the next logical step would be to start finding cheaper ways of deploying FTTP.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:11   #3847
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

jarrodstrachan is on a distinguished roadjarrodstrachan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
One can only hope! If it's a supply and Demand thing, then I'd like to think that LibGlobal will make it worth their while. Ordering a bunch of equipment for one ISP, even one the size of Virgin, is one thing but for an ISP the size of LibGlobal? I guess it depends on how they run their franchises as well but fingers crossed.

Do you really expect to see a DOCSIS 4, though? Seems as though the next logical step would be to start finding cheaper ways of deploying FTTP.
Wouldn't the best way for Virgin to offer FTTP to just, slide fibre up the the existing copper conduit? Cabinets for Virgin seem to be street based also, atleast in my area, so the distance to the cabinet would be reasonably short = less fibre... that said, I don't even know if the cabinets themselves could handle multiple fibre connections, I'm just taking a guess
Old 19-06-2013, 19:39   #3848
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

It still has to be fibre from the local cabinet up to the aggregation point (currently a coax to fibre aggregation point). So lots & lots of fibre.

Old 19-06-2013, 21:22   #3849
jarrodstrachan
cf.member

Oh I thought that Virgin was fibre all the way to the cabinet in my street :S. The engineer told me that the fibre was to a bigger cabinet towards the top of my street and from there it was a copper to my cabinet, I just didn't take notice lol
Old 19-06-2013, 21:48   #3850
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

There are several cabinets daisy chained up to the optic node.

Old 21-06-2013, 18:32   #3851
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Well my part of Uddingston UBR area has now got 6 DS enabled this morning, not that it made that much difference to the graph. Still on 1 US.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 19:19   #3852
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Well my part of Uddingston UBR area has now got 6 DS enabled this morning, not that it made that much difference to the graph. Still on 1 US.

Its just a joke now Uddingston is the only part on the virgin media network without upstream bonding
Old 21-06-2013, 19:25   #3853
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I'm really not impressed with still being stuck on 5mbit upload. I mean fair enough my area isn't heavily utilised and before the farcical stupid TM I could get full speed both up and down more or less any time I wanted and for how long I wanted it.

I wonder if they will move the estimated date forward for the 120mbit rollout again as you would have thought that at least some part of Uddingston would have US bonding going by now.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 20:36   #3854
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

We pay the same as a customer on 120Mb
Old 21-06-2013, 22:19   #3855
Coffeeguy
cf.member

Services: Hub 5 VM 200MB Broadband
Coffeeguy is on a distinguished roadCoffeeguy is on a distinguished road

What's this green hump I'm looking at tonight, seems to be affecting all VM connections nationwide
Coffeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote