Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 09-11-2013, 12:19   #3826
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Dont think BT are any different from BSKYB theyve haven't paid those exhuberant amounts to make all their key British games FTA , its all about driving subscriptions the FTA games are probably just to meet UEFA's requirements.

Like Den says things are going to get pricey.
Couldn't BT open up another channel? And charge for that?
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27   #3827
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Dont think BT are any different from BSKYB theyve haven't paid those exhuberant amounts to make all their key British games FTA , its all about driving subscriptions the FTA games are probably just to meet UEFA's requirements.

Like Den says things are going to get pricey.
Not sure on their stance currently, but it was never about BT Sports getting subscriptions, it was about getting customers on triple package deals.
They may very well only put the minimum number of games on FTA, I was just saying they may not. They may get better ad revenues from showing them FTA. Who knows?

It's only going to get pricey if people continue to pay through the nose for it.

I miss massive amounts of sports I would like to watch, but I refuse to pay the prices. I have no sympathy for those who do pay, you are perpetuating you own sporting financial problems.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:32   #3828
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Not sure on their stance currently, but it was never about BT Sports getting subscriptions, it was about getting customers on triple package deals.
They may very well only put the minimum number of games on FTA, I was just saying they may not. They may get better ad revenues from showing them FTA. Who knows?

It's only going to get pricey if people continue to pay through the nose for it.

I miss massive amounts of sports I would like to watch, but I refuse to pay the prices. I have no sympathy for those who do pay, you are perpetuating you own sporting financial problems.
yes, fault does lay with purchasers...and sellers
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34   #3829
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

No need to roll your eyes at me , I dont pay it I'm currently on a half price Sky Sports discount for 12 months costing me £11 a month , I simply refuse to pay full I also dont sub to BT Sports or PS.

How long do you see BT Sports being free with BT BB for ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36   #3830
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Well that's a personal choice we will have to make Harry but lets just say its going to get a whole lot harder but remember there are many who spend a lot on alcohol and tobacco and that again is their own personal choice and nobody elses at the end of the day.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41   #3831
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

I am surprised these companies are paying so much when you see the average viewing figures for EPL games are less than 1.5 million.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:09   #3832
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Not really. Sky should be able to cut their costs because they no won't have to pay for the CL rights.

BT have said their costs will be cheaper than they have been previously, so in theory it should save money.

It is down to Sky cut costs to make the price savings now. If they don't it just proves their massive greed.
Can you see Sky dropping their normal SS prices? No, neither can I.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:14   #3833
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Couldn't BT open up another channel? And charge for that?
Possibly. I do however reading back in February when BT bought ESPN that the ESPN branded channel would stay on air until 2015. You'll maybe find that in the summer of 2015 ESPN will close and BT launch BT Sports 3.

As we've seen with other carriage deals it's possible that BT Sports 1 & 2 will remain in XL with ESPN dropping out. Virgin would then need to agree a new carriage deal for the inclusion of BT Sports 3 or maybe BT would prefer to keep the new channel exclusive to themselves?

The next 2 years will be very interesting. As BT continue to add more and more channels to BT Vision, we might see a service from BT in 2015 that genuinely rivals Virgin Media and SKY. The deal between SKY and HBO expires in 2015. BT Atlantic anyone
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:17   #3834
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Can you see Sky dropping their normal SS prices? No, neither can I.
l wonder if in 2015 their PPV events like boxing and wrestling will suddenly not be PPV events in order to placate their sports customers.
Old 09-11-2013, 13:18   #3835
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

So more channels to launch on BT Sports, 3 & 4 plus red button ?

BT need to sort their 'British' punditry out. Sky has a good foundation in that area, BT haven't. BT though does have good continental Europe punditry. I reckon its time they threw people out and nabbed people from ITV/Sky leading up to 2015
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:21   #3836
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Possibly. I do however reading back in February when BT bought ESPN that the ESPN branded channel would stay on air until 2015. You'll maybe find that in the summer of 2015 ESPN will close and BT launch BT Sports 3.

As we've seen with other carriage deals it's possible that BT Sports 1 & 2 will remain in XL with ESPN dropping out. Virgin would then need to agree a new carriage deal for the inclusion of BT Sports 3 or maybe BT would prefer to keep the new channel exclusive to themselves?

The next 2 years will be very interesting. As BT continue to add more and more channels to BT Vision, we might see a service from BT in 2015 that genuinely rivals Virgin Media and SKY. The deal between SKY and HBO expires in 2015. BT Atlantic anyone
Its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black if they do that.

No but we will get Sky Atlantic soon enough though.
Old 09-11-2013, 13:21   #3837
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l wonder if in 2015 their PPV events like boxing and wrestling will suddenly not be PPV events in order to placate their sports customers.
I think they are too niche to make any impact if they were FTV.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:23   #3838
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
I can't see it. Remember in 2014 SKY is set to become the home of international football with the exclusive rights for up to 500 games:

http://corporate.sky.com/media/press..._on_sky_sports
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:26   #3839
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
I think they are too niche to make any impact if they were FTV.
So the question is what will they fill in with the hole that losing CL football will bring?.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I can't see it. Remember in 2014 SKY is set to become the home of international football with the exclusive rights for up to 500 games:

http://corporate.sky.com/media/press..._on_sky_sports
Some how l don't think having that will fill the gap Chad.
Old 09-11-2013, 13:29   #3840
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

does this mean from 2015 no games on sky or itv
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote