Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock
Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2012, 10:22   #316
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I have a router attached to the roof above the 4th floor, does that count? If not, I did once get a 3G connection on a plane.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2012, 19:20   #317
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
I posted virtually the same information which in both posts is correct, if anyone leaves within 2 years they have to pay any fees back possibly pro rata but either way the are jobs in Liverpool and no one I repeat no one has to move to Swansea to get a job, especially for less money and worse terms and conditions.
That sounds much more sensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
@ Richard Coulter

This is a very long thread - so please forgive me if the questions I put below have been answered.

Exactly what is your standing with Virgin Media in relation to this matter (Albert Dock)? Are you a party to negotiations? An advisor to VM or an employee or a union? Or what?

The answers would more fully place your points into perspective.
Why did you link to a thread about bisexuality

I am not employed by VM. Unfortunately, due to reasons of corporate confidentiality, I am unable to elaborate any further.

Quote:
He has no connection to the union or Virgin Media as far I am aware, he may be involved in focus groups such as Carl Waring used to be.
I am not in a VM focus group, nor connected to the CWU. The last time I had any involvement with trade unions was a long time ago. It was at the TUC conference in Brighton when Tony Blair was prime minister and Gordon Brown the chancellor. I had a brief chat with Gordon Brown after his speech. In the evening, I attended a dinner organised by the PFA (followed by a free bar ) at which both Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were present, but I didn't get chance to speak to them.

I spent much of the following day talking to the General Secretary of AMICUS (now part of Unite.) He was called Derek Simpson, he had a union credit card for expenses and went on to take part in a TV series following professionals at work (IIRC called "A Day In The Life Of") narrated by Adrian Chiles.

This was at the hotel where the IRA tried to blow up Margaret Thatcher, I can't remember it's name.

Would you like to see the CWU merged with Unite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I have a router attached to the roof above the 4th floor, does that count? If not, I did once get a 3G connection on a plane.
PMSL
Old 21-02-2012, 19:28   #318
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
That sounds much more sensible.

Why did you link to a thread about bisexuality

I am not employed by VM. Unfortunately, due to reasons of corporate confidentiality, I am unable to elaborate any further.

I am not in a VM focus group, nor connected to the CWU. The last time I had any involvement with trade unions was a long time ago. It was at the TUC conference in Brighton when Tony Blair was prime minister and Gordon Brown the chancellor. I had a brief chat with Gordon Brown after his speech. In the evening, I attended a dinner organised by the PFA (followed by a free bar ) at which both Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were present, but I didn't get chance to speak to them.

I spent much of the following day talking to the General Secretary of AMICUS (now part of Unite.) He was called Derek Simpson, he had a union credit card for expenses and went on to take part in a TV series following professionals at work (IIRC called "A Day In The Life Of") narrated by Adrian Chiles.

This was at the hotel where the IRA tried to blow up Margaret Thatcher, I can't remember it's name.

PMSL
The Hotel was the Grand at Brighton - I was in the Victoria Bar when it went off, and we all came out covered in plaster.

We got off lightly.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-02-2012, 19:58   #319
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Good heavens, you were lucky not to get injured.

Yes, it was The Grand. We were staying at a hotel to the left facing away from the sea and were only there for the Professional Footballers Association dinner. We weren't allowed to actually stay at The Grand due to security reasons, as Tony Blair etc and all the living ex Labour Prime Ministers were staying there as they meet up at this time every year for dinner.

Were you there when you worked in the armed forces Hugh?
Old 21-02-2012, 20:02   #320
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

No, afterwards - I was active in Politics in the 80s and 90s, then got a life....

You can have a career, a family, and be active in politics - but usually only two out of three; I choose my career and my family - in hindsight, a very good choice...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-02-2012, 21:18   #321
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

No the have completely different views and deal with completely different workforces and I do not see anywhere that they could overlay each other as they are to diverse.

I have been a member and branch official of both unions by the way and know what their aims are, I have also been a member and branch official of USDAW as well.
Old 21-02-2012, 22:11   #322
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
No, afterwards - I was active in Politics in the 80s and 90s, then got a life....

You can have a career, a family, and be active in politics - but usually only two out of three; I choose my career and my family - in hindsight, a very good choice...
OIC, I thought you might have been protecting the Government along with the police.

Quote:
No the have completely different views and deal with completely different workforces and I do not see anywhere that they could overlay each other as they are to diverse.

I have been a member and branch official of both unions by the way and know what their aims are, I have also been a member and branch official of USDAW as well.
Well, unions have grown progressively weaker since the Thatcher laws of the 80's. Mr Cameron is reported to be intending to bring in more anti union legislation. Things may get interesting with this, the public spending cuts/job losses/pay freeze in the public sector and the dismantling/weakening of employment rights legislation.

Following the merger, Unite is now the largest union in the UK, whereas previously it was Unison.

I was thinking along the lines of there's "strength in numbers", but, if they are worlds apart, it probably wouldn't be possible.

Isn't USDAW the shopworkers union?
Old 21-02-2012, 22:29   #323
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:

Isn't USDAW the shopworkers union?
Sainsbury's and B&Q warehousing covered by USDAW.
Old 22-02-2012, 00:33   #324
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden aura

We do seem to have wandered some way from the topic so let us return to it.
Old 22-02-2012, 07:25   #325
Peter_
Permanently Banned

The staff I feel sorry for are the ones who feel the need to go to Swansea especially considering the way they have been treated, the are many positions locally and I could never trust that company to be honest and offer any long term positions.

I expect that the ones thinking of going have no real ties up here such as relationship wise or mortgages plus they will have to stay there for at least 2 years or pay back any moving fees.

Most people have had no issue getting employment locally so moving to Swansea should never really have been necessary.
Old 22-02-2012, 08:13   #326
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Perhaps those who have accepted a position in Swansea particularly wanted to stay with the company??

The way that many businesses are having to make efficiency savings in order to simply survive, in light of the worst economic times in living memory, unfortunately, means that employees will be required to be ever more flexible. Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures.

Expect to see more zero hours contracts, forced unpaid leave etc.

The next, more palatable, big thing will be homeworking. Large office buildings like Albert Dock, are very expensive to run. Think of how much it costs VM to pay the rent, NNDR, fuel, heating etc. It can cost thousands of pounds a year to maintain even one workstation space and that's before anybody has even been paid a wage!

If employees work from home a huge amount of time and money is saved.

With modern communication technology, web cams etc, the fantasy can become reality.

The employee gains by not having to pay travel costs and has more quality time, with journey times being cut. There are environmental/traffic congestion benefits too.

Why should people travel into the centre of Liverpool, when they can have a lie in, get ready and take a leisurely walk into their home office to complete their tasks?

It's a win, win, win situation!!!

There are some issues that will need to be ironed out, such as local authorities wanting to designate the offices as non domestic, therefore making them liable to Business Rates, employees may expect something towards their heating/lighting etc, customer confidentiality issues, insurance etc.

What do VM staff feel about, say, call centres like Albert Dock being run in this fashion?

The Government (DWP) and certain private sector companies (mainly in the communications field) are currently running low key trials.
Old 22-02-2012, 09:00   #327
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Perhaps those who have accepted a position in Swansea particularly wanted to stay with the company??
I would not have gone as I did need feel the need to go due to my circumstances, many more will feel the same.

It is also a question of trust,could you ever truly feel safe with a company who are willing to make 435 people redundant and lose the accrued knowledge in that workplace which can never be replaced.

Try reading some of the answers the new 2nd line guys ( join dates November 2011 onwards ) are giving on the community forum, they are answers you would not even expect from an agent just out of Grad bay and even the members are questioning some answers given.

If they are the future expect many more disgruntled customers either leaving or seeking help elsewhere.
Old 22-02-2012, 09:03   #328
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
If employees work from home a huge amount of time and money is saved.
yes I want to see more of this.

could this be done with call centre work? probably but companies like VM likely want to directly supervise their staff which I think is the main barrier.
Old 22-02-2012, 09:08   #329
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
yes I want to see more of this.

could this be done with call centre work? probably but companies like VM likely want to directly supervise their staff which I think is the main barrier.
It can be done quite easily this company already does it but it is a Zero hours contract and you earn your holiday money as you go which is on top of the basic wage.

You just need a hard wired computer and a home office with a phone line, you incur no costs as it is all computer based and they have team managers remote listening and call stats, so it is just a virtual call centre.
Old 22-02-2012, 13:52   #330
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I would not have gone as I did need feel the need to go due to my circumstances, many more will feel the same.

It is also a question of trust,could you ever truly feel safe with a company who are willing to make 435 people redundant and lose the accrued knowledge in that workplace which can never be replaced.

Try reading some of the answers the new 2nd line guys ( join dates November 2011 onwards ) are giving on the community forum, they are answers you would not even expect from an agent just out of Grad bay and even the members are questioning some answers given.

If they are the future expect many more disgruntled customers either leaving or seeking help elsewhere.
Some are really shocking, I agree.
Closed Thread