Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 20:00   #3271
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That's not how quantitative easing works. It may be the case that the money does need removed at a later date however there's no guarantee it would. You are another one confusing macroeconomics with your household budget.

Even if the money did have to removed from money supply - there's strong support for the lockdown. Would people be willing to may minimal amounts of increased tax or VAT over the next 5-10 years to literally support themselves now for a mere few months? A move that would protect employees, protect small businesses and leave the economy better placed to bounce back?

Of course they would. However nobody wants to raise the question of tax reforms when the human price of underfunded public services is so prevalent on their TV.
I would put money on there not being any tax rises when it reopens. The demand for things is going to be very low and they will be wanted to get people spending again. It is not going to be as simple as borrowing money to pay back.
Old 12-05-2020, 20:05   #3272
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
I would put money on there not being any tax rises when it reopens. The demand for things is going to be very low and they will be wanted to get people spending again. It is not going to be as simple as borrowing money to pay back.
Short term I agree. The economy needs stimulated, but that means keeping people in work, protecting small businesses and giving people security to get through the crisis.

While the health crisis is about 'flattening the curve" the economic response is about "sharpening the V". The quicker the economy goes down, the shorter timescale that it needs supported and by protecting incomes, jobs and businesses the quicker it recovers.

Otherwise we just have a recession that drags on for years because 'household budget capitalism' can't simulate the recovery required.
Old 12-05-2020, 20:15   #3273
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Using the Government COVID alert scale of 1 to 5, and using the formula

COVID alert level = R (rate of infection) + number of infections

We are at a COVID alert level of between 223060.5 and 223060.9...
From that equation a quick bit of algebra tells us that R(rate of infection) = Covid Alert Level - number of infections

So according to Borris we're moving to alert level 3

So R = 3 - (approx) 226000

So R = approx -225997

Quite a bit below the target of 0.5 to 0.9
Old 12-05-2020, 20:33   #3274
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
From that equation a quick bit of algebra tells us that R(rate of infection) = Covid Alert Level - number of infections

So according to Borris we're moving to alert level 3

So R = 3 - (approx) 226000

So R = approx -225997

Quite a bit below the target of 0.5 to 0.9
I'm too old to remember much algebra, but pretty sure some of it being in brackets alters the working of it
Old 12-05-2020, 20:34   #3275
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

BODMAS!

brackets ofs divide multiply add subtract.
Old 12-05-2020, 20:53   #3276
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It was on TV last night that the money that we borrowed from America to fund WWII didn't get repaid until 2006.
Your point being?

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Quote:
That's not how quantitative easing works.
Well it sort of is, as the BofE purchases government bonds to pump in the cash into the economy, those bonds must have a return for the BofE, eventually, or the BofE goes out of business.

It really is amazing that you think money is “free”.

Increased risk of inflation. But granted inflation has not been an issue for over a decade, but this is a different issue to 2008 so we have to remain “alert” on that.

Quote:
You are another one confusing macroeconomics with your household budget.
You’re confusing QE as magicking money and not having to pay for it..........you do.
Old 12-05-2020, 21:13   #3277
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
https://apple.news/AXOJ0kGp_TV-F14TFJJz2sw
Old 12-05-2020, 22:55   #3278
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Your point being?

---------- Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Well it sort of is, as the BofE purchases government bonds to pump in the cash into the economy, those bonds must have a return for the BofE, eventually, or the BofE goes out of business.
Oh dear. And here's your fundamental misunderstanding of macroeconomics. A Central Bank simply isn't a business.

Quote:
It really is amazing that you think money is “free”.

Increased risk of inflation. But granted inflation has not been an issue for over a decade, but this is a different issue to 2008 so we have to remain “alert” on that.

You’re confusing QE as magicking money and not having to pay for it..........you do.
I think you'll find that you continue to fundamentally understand the subject matter.

It's not surprising, as right wing political parties have for ideological reasons sold the myth (and you have unquestionably bought said myth) that national economies and household budgets are essentially the same. They are not. However it's an easy sell to people who don't understand the subject matter, and a prelude to selling off the profitable functions of the state while leaving the taxpayer to fund the unprofitable bits and underwrite losses where the market fails.

I'll stick with Comrade Rishi here. And literally it's the first time in my life I've agreed with a Conservative Chancellor about anything.
Old 12-05-2020, 23:13   #3279
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

What the country must pay for is the deficit due to borrowing. Nothing to do with QE.

As far as I am concerned, QE is an off-balance sheet exercise with essentially zero sum gain. You can read about it at: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/me...ance-sheet.pdf

My advice is at your risk.
Old 12-05-2020, 23:51   #3280
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Oh dear. And here's your fundamental misunderstanding of macroeconomics. A Central Bank simply isn't a business.
Ok, I’ll break it down for you. Government bonds have to repaid. Yes or No?
Old 13-05-2020, 00:03   #3281
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Ok, I’ll break it down for you. Government bonds have to repaid. Yes or No?
Exactly the kind of obfuscation I've come to expect from you, Pierre - is the Bank of England a business - yes or no?

I will now note the absolute lack of response to my post the other evening which I will quote now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman
I fail to see how I can reasonably be accused of lacking vision when I’ve correctly identified a number of variables for any successful risk assessment.

There’s no obligation to try to unfurlough workers as soon as possible - that’s simply your personal preference in the matter principally because of your political ideology. For some businesses opening up will remain not commercially viable for the foreseeable - in these cases unfurloughing staff “ASAP” as you put it would make no commercial sense and actually would leave some company officers in breach of their legal obligations in respect of foregoing Government assistance and incurring needless losses.

Great business owners and entrepreneurs know state hand outs are a great idea instead of them taking losses themselves.

I think you lack vision in this regard.
Have you had enough time to consider a response to this yet?

I'd call you a junior economist but for the fact I'd not discredit novice economists and I'm doing my best to stay in this thread.
Old 13-05-2020, 00:11   #3282
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Exactly the kind of obfuscation I've come to expect from you, Pierre - is the Bank of England a business - yes or no?

I will now note the absolute lack of response to my post the other evening which I will quote now:

Have you had enough time to consider a response to this yet?

I'd call you a junior economist but for the fact I'd not discredit novice economists and I'm doing my best to stay in this thread.
Hmmm!

Old 13-05-2020, 00:17   #3283
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Hmmm!
We've even agreed!

Pierre appears to however throw around insults here and there, selectively quote posts and then wilfully misinterpret them. I'm only asking him to respond to points made in full rather than cling in desperate hope to a single sentence in a much wider point.
Old 13-05-2020, 00:28   #3284
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Guys, please calm down.
Old 13-05-2020, 00:30   #3285
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
We've even agreed!

Pierre appears to however throw around insults here and there, selectively quote posts and then wilfully misinterpret them. I'm only asking him to respond to points made in full rather than cling in desperate hope to a single sentence in a much wider point.
He doesn't have to respond. I don't want you banned given we're having each other's babies!

There's no doubt that Coronavirus will cost us dear when the virus is no longer a threat QE has little to do with that other than any borrowings made by the bank to finance liquidity would be repaid from increased taxes etc.

Closed Thread