Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Funding of the BBC

Old 03-09-2020, 12:24   #286
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
until they start earning money, good money and see themselves paying back all those loans, and all those taxes and then it's usually a swerve to the right.
I forgot to mention putting your hands on your hips and bend your knees in tight..................
Old 03-09-2020, 12:32   #287
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

This basically equates conservative to mean fundamentalist religious type which I think lacks nuance as to what a conservative is.

For the record I don't think I really have a conservative temperament. The most conservative person I know is actually a liberal democrat candidate.
Old 03-09-2020, 15:02   #288
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Interesting article in that subject from 2017.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...out-what-means
Basically says most Lecturers and faculties are left biased and promote those views. Some Conservative students still do well despite this.

No recent data (10years +)

Left leaning students tend to stay in academia longer

Right leaning students tend to go for more business subjects, and subjects that pay more in a career.

I don't really think it's very insightful report.
Old 03-09-2020, 15:46   #289
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The licence fee is indeed doomed. From the Daily Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...unding-battle/

One minister said: “There is real optimism that the BBC will come up with a palatable alternative to the licence fee themselves.

“Tim Davie seems to be open to the idea of a subscription model and his background would certainly suggest that"

No it isn’t.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54014210

Quote:
The BBC's new director general has said he doesn't support any switch from the licence fee to a subscription service.
In his first speech since taking over, Tim Davie said such a change "would make us just another media company" that serves only "the few" ...
”For the avoidance of doubt, I do not want a subscription BBC that serves the few," Davie said during the speech in Cardiff.
"We could make a decent business out of it, and I suspect it could do quite well in certain postcodes, but it would make us just another media company serving a specific group."
Mr Davie indicates what I’ve always believed. You can’t build a mass-market tv service with high penetration in British homes based on subscriptions. There is no example of it in the British media industry. Subscription products are inherently niche, and as the new DG sees the BBC as continuing to serve the entire country he is not going to propose a subscription model when charter negotiation begins in earnest.

Interestingly, and chiming with the other strand of this discussion, what he does want to do in pursuit of a respected, reliable BBC with mass appeal, is to

Quote:
“renew our commitment to impartiality", he said.
Impartiality is "the very essence of who we are" and is possible to achieve even in polarised times.
"It is not simply about left or right. This is more about whether people feel we see the world from their point of view. Our research shows that too many perceive us to be shaped by a particular perspective."
He added: "If you want to be an opinionated columnist or a partisan campaigner on social media then that is a valid choice, but you should not be working at the BBC."
New social media guidelines for presenters and staff will be "rigorously enforced", he said.

Last edited by Chris; 03-09-2020 at 17:15.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 15:46   #290
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Exactly. What's more, those that criticise them with an accurate description such as "woke" and "lefty" draw Hugh's disapproval.
{”Freedom of speech’ does not mean "can’t be criticised for what I say"...

Sounds like you are trying to restrict freedom of speech by saying people can’t disapprove of what others say...

FYI, I disapprove of "gammon" as much as "woke" and "lefties", because, as I said earlier, it’s name-calling, not debating.

You move the Overton Window your way, then accuse people who used to be called "moderates" lefties.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 03-09-2020 at 15:53.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 19:58   #291
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

My personal view is I don't care whether the BBC is run by lefties,righties or aliens from Mars! All I say is scrap this unfair TV licence and fund the BBC by advertising or subscription. Or perhaps all those that agree with the licence carry on sending money to the BBC.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 20:27   #292
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
My personal view is I don't care whether the BBC is run by lefties,righties or aliens from Mars! All I say is scrap this unfair TV licence and fund the BBC by advertising or subscription. Or perhaps all those that agree with the licence carry on sending money to the BBC.
Sounds about right!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 20:47   #293
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

Sounds like you are trying to restrict freedom of speech by saying people can’t disapprove of what others say...

FYI, I disapprove of "gammon" as much as "woke" and "lefties", because, as I said earlier, it’s name-calling, not debating.

You move the Overton Window your way, then accuse people who used to be called "moderates" lefties.
A key difference is that the terms "woke", "Liberal", and "left" come from those groups themselves. They can't very well complain about using labels, they themselves created.

Eg May sound surprising, but the term "woke" originated with those that refer to themselves as being "woke". "Woke" people refer to themselves as that, as a "badge of honour", not a criticism. They use it to set themselves apart, and on a supposedly "higher" plane. By implication they are disparaging those they consider not to be "woke".
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 21:23   #294
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

That's a hughe stretch you've made. Why on earth would I want to restrict freedom of speech?

It's the BBC that has slanted free speech, for example by ensuring it's 4:1 against Farage on Question Time with a lefty dominated audience to jeer as appropriate.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:00   #295
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
That's a hughe stretch you've made. Why on earth would I want to restrict freedom of speech?

It's the BBC that has slanted free speech, for example by ensuring it's 4:1 against Farage on Question Time with a lefty dominated audience to jeer as appropriate.
Nigel Farage was once an obligatory fixture on Question Time for the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation. Inevitably, one of those many appearances would have left-wing audience members in it.
That was then and it has acknowledged its errors. The new Director General seems to be making the right noises so I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:16   #296
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Nigel Farage was once an obligatory fixture on Question Time for the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation. Inevitably, one of those many appearances would have left-wing audience members in it.
That was then and it has acknowledged its errors. The new Director General seems to be making the right noises so I will give it the benefit of the doubt for now.
Fair enough.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:42   #297
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I don't think the BBC or the license is going anywhere. There are many 'older' viewers who don't have or want subscription TV and just happen to be true blue and vote Conservative.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:36   #298
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I don't think the BBC or the license is going anywhere. There are many 'older' viewers who don't have or want subscription TV and just happen to be true blue and vote Conservative.
There are plenty of socially conservative Labour voters as well. The BBC isn’t the preserve of the blue rinse brigade.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:47   #299
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There are plenty of socially conservative Labour voters as well. The BBC isn’t the preserve of the blue rinse brigade.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:52   #300
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Exactly.