Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Online Safety Bill

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Online Safety Bill

Old 19-02-2024, 19:28   #286
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Online Safety Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
And I ask you to stop playing your disability card because you can’t be bothered to read replies due to your incessant need to spout utter gibberish.
You are being deliberately offensive now and this has upset me greatly.

You are fully aware that I have a cognitive disability that affects memory, yet believe it to be appropriate to refer to my decision to remind you of this as 'playing a disability card' and referring to this as not being able to be bothered.

Tell me, if a relative or friend of yours got dementia (as many of us will) and they started repeating the same question over and over again (as sufferers do), would you rudely say that you'd already told them and then say "How many times do you need to be told?"

If they explained that the reason for this was that they had dementia, would you accuse them of 'playing a disability card?

Would you then refer to their attempts to communicate and live a normal life as possible as an 'incessant need to talk gibberish'?

My disability affects all parts of my life as it affects my thought processes and I don't believe that I do badly in communicating, all things considered. I have asked the facilitators here and they agree. They also agree that you should withdraw and apologise for your inappropriate remarks, so i'm giving you an opportunity to do this now.

Rather than continuing to make personal attacks it would be much more productive if you set out what you disagree with, why you disagree with it and offered any alternatives of your own to deal with the matter in hand.

Admin have previously asked for people to stick to the subject under discussion as opposed to attacking other individuals, but you have clearly chosen to ignore this.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Some Ofcom statistics:

- 44% of 9 year olds own a mobile phone.

- By the time they are 11, 91% own a smartphone.

- Over 29% of children aged from 8 to 17 have experienced online bullying.

Teachers report that excessive screen time results in children being tired in class, unable to focus and that it impacts relationship development.

-Psychologists report that it could affect children into adulthood if tougher boundaries aren't set at home.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2024, 19:44   #287
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
In fairness quite often previous post are misread or ignored, OK so Richard does it more than most perhaps I should get my cards out .
Yep, if you want me to point you in the way of Ukrainian charities rather than scammers, no problem.

If you want to back UK servicemen actually risking there lives there I can put you in touch for donations.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 20:22   #288
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
<snip>

It’s amazing how your cognitive impairment appears to allow you to selectively block out what you choose. And since you do have a cognitive impairment how can you say for sure that I’m being deliberately offensive ?

When you play this card you do a disservice to every single one of us who has a disability (visible or not)

You refuse to be educated, you refuse to consider alternative possibilities. It’s just you and your agenda and when someone corrects you or attempts to guide you down a different path all of a sudden your cognitive impairment comes into play.

Grow up, stop acting like you’re being so hard done by. The reality is if a message board can get you this defensive then please don’t go out into the real world because it will eat you for breakfast

The world owes you nothing, just like the rest of us
Old 19-02-2024, 22:05   #289
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It’s amazing how your cognitive impairment appears to allow you to selectively block out what you choose. And since you do have a cognitive impairment how can you
say for sure that I’m being deliberately offensive ?

When you play this card you do a disservice to every single one of us who
has a disability (visible or not)

You refuse to be educated, you refuse to consider alternative possibilities. It’s just you and your agenda and when someone
corrects you or attempts to guide you
down a different path all of a sudden your cognitive impairment comes into play.

Grow up, stop acting like you’re being so hard done by. The reality is if a message board can get you this defensive then please don’t go out into the real world because it will eat you for breakfast

The world owes you nothing, just like the rest of us
As previously stated, my facilitators have read your comments. They informed me that they believe that your comments are discriminatory, arrogant, offensive as well as unnecessarily rude.

To clarify, are you questioning the stated
effects of my disability?

Is there any particular reason why you are repeatedly ignoring the request to stop making person comments and focus on the subject under discussion?

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Various television programmes have been covering the Government's decision regarding phones in schools.

Some interesting points were made. One was that some parents ask their children to text them to make sure that they got to school safely and that some schools allow children to take phones to schools, but make them put them into lockers or hand them in at the start of the day and collect them at the end of the day.

It was stated that having a phone can make children the target of muggers either on the way to or on the way back from school.
Old 19-02-2024, 22:58   #290
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
As previously stated, my facilitators have read your comments. They informed me that they believe that your comments are discriminatory, arrogant, offensive as well as unnecessarily rude.
Just to be clear, your "facilitators" are not running this forum, nor do we base decisions on what they "believe".

No one is being "discriminatory". In fact, your posting manner (which we could also label as arrogant, offensive or whatever else you want) has, over the years, annoyed/upset/irritated countless members (inc team members), and you have been warned about it numerous times, but we've still allowed you to continue posting.

No one is forcing you to be here, or post, you can stop and/or leave at any time, if other peoples views bother you so much, then perhaps you should take a break.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 23:01   #291
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You are being deliberately offensive now and this has upset me greatly.
I’m sure it wasn’t intentional, therefore all the upset and anguish you’re experiencing is totally subjective and down to you and no one else.
Old 20-02-2024, 08:23   #292
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

In a report on the news last night, a headmaster gave his views on mobile phones in the school. He said it's not a problem or the main priority to take phones out of schools. Mobile phones in schools are a distraction but it's not the main issue. Taking phones out of the school will just mean they'll spend more time on them out of school and would still be subjected to whatever the main cause is such as the apps, social media and certain content they come across (or searched). It will not make any difference.

Another report on the news on the same night was about mental health for children. When you read this thread it seems certain people/person assumes everything is down to online content. Well it would be more helpful if you actually hear about the causes of what is affecting children's mental health issues, but that's something that just never get mentioned. Why?

I don't think a single person here would dispute that social media is a major cause that is affecting mental health for children, but this is something that can not and will not change. But as always there has to be something else. It also highlights that there is no prevention or help with mental health due to the budget cuts.

To me, it's just passing the buck with this phone lark. We live in a shit world in a shit country that's knackered and on it's knees. And kids are affected by this in so many ways because they can't cope with it all.

Last edited by peanut; 20-02-2024 at 08:38.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 08:59   #293
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:

To clarify, are you questioning the stated
effects of my disability?

Is there any particular reason why you are repeatedly ignoring the request to stop making person comments and focus on the subject under discussion?

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Various television programmes have been covering the Government's decision regarding phones in schools.

Some interesting points were made. One was that some parents ask their children to text them to make sure that they got to school safely and that some schools allow children to take phones to schools, but make them put them into lockers or hand them in at the start of the day and collect them at the end of the day.

It was stated that having a phone can make children the target of muggers either on the way to or on the way back from school.
I couldn’t give the square root of bugger all if your facilitators (or should they be called ego massagers) think I’m genghis khan reincarnate their opinion counts for nothing.

You post articles or links to articles that are factually incorrect, you fail to do your own research on them. Yet when you’re corrected you either a) tell the person to take it up with the source you’re quoting or b) claim that your cognitive impairment meant you didn’t see them.(odd how it’s so selective) and try to absolve yourself of any responsibility to your posts

My non visible disability means I double and triple check things, you would be wise to do the same. It might just save you in the long run.
Old 20-02-2024, 18:49   #294
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yep, if you want me to point you in the way of Ukrainian charities rather than scammers, no problem.

If you want to back UK servicemen actually risking there lives there I can put you in touch for donations.
Old 20-02-2024, 23:44   #295
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I couldn’t give the square root of bugger all if your facilitators (or should they be called ego massagers) think I’m genghis khan reincarnate their opinion counts for nothing.

You post articles or links to articles that are factually incorrect, you fail to do your own research on them. Yet when you’re corrected you either a) tell the person to take it up with the source you’re quoting or b) claim that your cognitive impairment meant you didn’t see them.(odd how it’s so selective) and try to absolve yourself of any responsibility to your posts

My non visible disability means I double and triple check things, you would be wise to do the same. It might just save you in the long run.
You asked a question about how l knew and I gave you the answer. More fool me for thinking I could have a reasonable conversation with someone with such a rude posting style.
Old 21-02-2024, 02:36   #296
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

This programme looks at the effects that online bullying can have on children up to and including suicide. Please be advised thar it contains an interview with the mother of a a schoolgirl who took her own life, so is pretty upsetting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001wjb1

---------- Post added at 02:36 ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 ----------

The rise in social media threats to players & their families has prompted the Premier League to set up a unit to track down internet trolls. A 19 year old man has already been charged with harrassment:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68293359
Old 21-02-2024, 07:22   #297
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I listened to about 3 mins of that podcast and thought what a load of shite, like it's aimed for 6 year olds. It seems today no one is willing to accept responsibility for their own actions, problems or addictions.

Richard do you have children? If not, do you accept you have an fanatical addiction on this subject? Do anyone here share your views or interest on this subject for that matter? Would you be a happier person in yourself if you stopped with this crusade and fixate on something a little more fun or healthier perhaps. No one here is stopping you from having an opinion. You do have a choice but your choice is making you - 'in your words' - greatly upset, offended, discriminated against etc etc etc. You could just stop and walk away and find something else that could benefit you in a positive way. It's either that or you're looking for a reaction to feed your attention issues. Which is an issue in itself.

What if, that all this negativity towards you that you do get here makes you feel sad, enough to harm yourself for example. I hope this is never the case, but what if it does have an effect on you to take such actions. Who then is to be blamed for that effect on you? The responders, the owners of this forum, the internet or yourself? Do you not understand the issue here?

Last edited by peanut; 21-02-2024 at 08:19.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 21:23   #298
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I have an interest in this subject because I have been targeted myself in the past and know someone who ended up dead because of a post on Facebook. I do a lot of work behind the scenes to help vulnerable people (and others) with the problems that they face, not just in relation to this area.

Unfortunately, many people don't have the benefit of being able to deal with such incidents due to a lack of funds or legal advice. The police often aren't much help due to lack of expertise and resources.

The Online Safety Act places the onus on website owners and their moderators to keep people safe. If it had of been in force at the time, facebook would have been in serious trouble for failing to appropriately deal with the incident that was reported to them.

You make some very important points. It's all very well for keyboard warriors to get a kick out of bullying, harassing, stalking people etc, usually by publically belittling, embarrassing or humiliating them in order to frighten them or wreck their confidence and self esteem, (there has been an increase in threats to send embarrassing photos or videos to peoples friends, family & work colleagues), but nobody knows anything about the issues that the victim may be going through.

This can lead to mental health problems, self harm, suicide or even murder/manslaughter.

Thank you for your concern, but I have a
lot of support around me regarding this, but in the wider world I have found that most people are in favour of the Online Safety Act and this has been reflected in the media and all the major political parties.

On this particular forum most people seem to be against the Act and some valuable & useful information has been received.

The media continue to expose on a daily basis the things that people have suffered Online. The two young ladies at the beginning of this programme were mercilessly stalked by an individual who targeted 60 women in total and who is now in prison.

https://www.itv.com/watch/this-morni...60/1a1960a9660

Can I Tell You a Secret is available on Netflix.
Old 21-02-2024, 22:07   #299
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I've got nothing against the Online Safety Act because it doesn't actually do anything.

It's the pretence that it does and associated panty wetting that grates.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2024, 05:17   #300
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
in the wider world I have found that most people are in favour of the Online Safety Act and this has been reflected in the media and all the major political parties.
Yes, because to be blunt, they are completely clueless about what it actually means and/or does. They're just told, "it protects children" so of course they are in favour of it. They havent a clue how it might actually do what they are told - you can sell anything to the masses if you tell them it protects children, even if its clearly complete bollox in reality.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote