Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 05-12-2010, 11:02   #286
mikedmc
Inactive

mikedmc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

I know it is probably best to attach dishes to nice firm brick walls but I would prefer to hide the dishes at the rear of my house but that would mean a pole of some kind attached to the rear wall. Is this going to work attaching a sat dish to a pole? Will probably have the TV aerial attached at top of pole to as need to put that up to .

Any ideas on where I can get a reasonably priced pole and correct wall attachments?
mikedmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2010, 13:33   #287
Barney 1
Inactive

Barney 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks

Can any one help?

I have just purchased a Ross system that was supplied with the HDR8130USB receiver.
I have followed the procedures for installing BBC 1 HD as per MTJR post 11/11/2010.
The screen tells me it has found 3 new channels one of the being BBC 1 HD at location 0067, but when I go to that channel it is not there and is something like klicks which appears to be a music/children program?

I have also been through all the channel listings and cannot find it?

Thanks
Barney 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:31   #288
AKIE03
Inactive

AKIE03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I am new to the forum and to satellite TV - just been given the Ross HD system as a present, have managed to set it up and find the satellite with a meter (never new there were so many satellites in that part of the sky!!). System worked fine for a few days but then whilst we were watching one day we lost picture and the signal has dropped to 20% and the quality levels have dropped to 0%. Have checked the box, connections and dish, nothing obvious so cannot work out why the levels have dropped. I am wondereing if the LNB is faulty?

The other factor is when I reconected the signal meter, the meter shows full strength signal but will not adjust when the dish is moved, this may sound odd but the audible signal from the meter sounds different too.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks - Tony
AKIE03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:34   #289
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Could you clarify please, what happened when you put the sat finder back onto the system?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 16:40   #290
AKIE03
Inactive

Hi Chris - the meter showed full strength and would not reduce when adjusting the level control. The signal audible pitch also seemed different, so regardless of where the dish was pointed or the setting on the level control adjusted the meter reading remained the same (at max).

There was no change in weather, no visible obstructions, and I ensured that the meter was behind the dish when looking to make the adjustments.

Thanks

Tony
Old 08-01-2011, 16:51   #291
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Well, if your LNB is duff, the sat finder isn't going to get anything useful from it. In the absence of any detectable signal, a sat finder is liable to just collect background noise, which is probably what it's now reading back to you. I would say the fact the rig stopped working some time after the initial set-up went ok is all the diagnosis you need. Back to B&Q with that LNB ...
Old 08-01-2011, 16:58   #292
AKIE03
Inactive

Thanks Chris - I will let the forum know how I get on

Tony
Old 08-01-2011, 20:47   #293
James_Watt
Inactive

James_Watt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all.
Today I purchased the HD kit from my local B & Q for a (non technical) chum who has been desiring to make use of his High Def' Samsung Television. HD Freeview not available here until the end of 2012

I tested the Set-Top box with my existing equipment. It worked fine.

I then tested the LNB. It worked fine.

The total number of programmes was over 360.

When I took it to my chum, we made up the dish and LNB assembly, then tested the system.
I took the dish assembly into the garden with a clear line of sight to 28 degrees West.
The Signal strength indicated 99%, and Quality 0% wherever I pointed the dish assembly (even with my hand covering the LNB).

I am fully aware of the accuracy required to receive signals emanating from the 'Birds' in the 'Clarke Belt'.

My chum and his wife were not impressed, my wife and I had already told them it worked well when I checked it at home.

Removing the feed-line, caused the signal strength to drop to about 20% ( I assume noise level).
I left my compass at home, so was unable to set the correct angle. I use about 154 degrees magnetic.

With my Lidl Silvercrest system, the signal strength drops when I move the dish, or put my hand over the LNB.

To have a problem so soon after purchase is disappointing.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Tomorrow (Sunday 8th) I will return with compass, my Feedline, LNB, and Set-Top Box.
Then we will fix the dish assembly to a suitable permanent mount, and try again.

As the system was purchased as a kit, if one item (e.g. LNB or Set-Top box) is defective, the whole kit will have to be dis-assembled and replaced?

With my LIDL system, all the items were separate, therefore simple to replace.

This could bring shame upon me from my chum (and especially his wife), if this is the case.

I'll update tomorrow as to how we get on.

Kind regards James
James_Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 15:20   #294
James_Watt
Inactive

James_Watt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again.
As promised, here is the update.

My chum was so keen to get the job done, he fixed the dish assembly, and drilled a hole in the wall to pass the cable through to the lounge, shortly after sunrise.

By the time I got there, all I had to do was tweak the dish, and prove the system.

I connected my Silvercrest Box and LNB and cable, to find the 'Bird' at 28 degrees.
A Sat-Finder reduces the time spent searching, as it responds quicker than the Box when aligning.

Eventually I got a suitably strong enough signal. Then I swapped items one by one.

The Signal Strength indicator of the Ross Box works differently to my Silvercrest, so my previous worry was negated.

Basically, all my chum has to do now, is firmly screw down the dish mount, and tweak the alignment for the weaker transponders, to improve the quality of signals.

All in all, a successful outcome.

Hope this has been useful to others considering purchasing one?

Regards James
James_Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 15:23   #295
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Once again it underlines the usefulness of a sat finder, and the total futility of trying to find satellites by holding a dish in your hand and waving it about ...

Glad it worked out for you and your chum in the end.
Old 09-01-2011, 20:27   #296
AKIE03
Inactive

Update - tried to get a replacement LNB from the store, Management not interested and have referred me to Ross direct to gain a replacement. Email sent to Ross this afternoon and I await a response.

Will keep you posted

Tony
Old 09-01-2011, 20:38   #297
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Tony: The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) clearly states that the contract of sale is between you and the retailer, not you and the manufacturer. B&Q has acted illegally in refusing to satisfy your complaint that the goods are unfit for purpose.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH ROSS ON THIS ISSUE. THE LIABILITY LIES EXCLUSIVELY WITH B&Q.

A call/email to Ross Customer Services might help you resolve any set-up issues if you were finding the instructions difficult to follow, however you already had the thing set up and working properly. If the information you have already posted in this thread is accurate and complete, then you already have all the proof you need that the goods are faulty, and you are entitled to a refund or replacement.

I suggest that you try to find time to go back into the store tomorrow, or any day this week, when the Sunday boys aren't on shift, and try to speak to a senior suprvisor, if not the actual store manager. This is your legal right and you are quite entitled to involve your local council's Trading Standards office if B&Q continues to be difficult.
Old 25-02-2011, 14:13   #298
jamesmcivor
Inactive

jamesmcivor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi im new on here, I am considering buying this dish from my local b & q in washington, north east england. my main reason for this is for the sport on the foreign channels could anyone please tell me if this is worth it?

Thanks,
James
jamesmcivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 14:15   #299
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Depends if you like sport with non-english commentary (you will find though that a lot of it is encrypted as well)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 12:21   #300
davek1
Inactive

davek1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile dave

hi al,l i have the ross hd digital receiver hdr-8130usb when instaled i can only get 48% on pic quality also only bbc london instead of north west can any body help ta
davek1 is offline   Reply With Quote