Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2012, 22:36   #16
Chad
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

No movies suggested so far.

The feedback on the Virgin community forum isn't exactly promising either:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/1165197

I really need a Virgin insider to confirm what the story is with movie, or the lack of movie suggestions I and other TiVo users are experiencing. I've had TiVo for around 6 months and don't remember getting a movie suggestion.

I've now gave pretty much every film for the next 3 days 3 thumbs, plus I've set about 9 to record in the hope it kick starts recommendations.

I don't have the problem with any other programme type. If I give The Simpsons and Family Guy 1 thumbs up I get recommendations for American Dad and The Cleveland Show. If I give 1 thumbs up to The Apprentice I get recommendations for The Apprentice USA and The Apprentice Your Fired.

I thought the point of TiVo, and part of the fun of having TiVo is the joy of programmes being identified and suggested based on your viewing preferences. I'm totally satisfied with it's performance in identifying TV shows, but the movie side of things is beginning to annoy me.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2012, 23:15   #17
Mad Max
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,109
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

I don't give my Tivo any thumbs up on anything and the bloody thing keeps recording stuff that i don't want to watch, why is this and how do you stop it?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 23:22   #18
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

Google has turned this up. It backs up my "3 thumbs" theory.
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...4021730AAkVohh

Though curiously other people complain it records too many movies.
http://archive.tivocommunity.com/tiv.../161788-1.html


Give it time (or have a sneak preview in Browse->TV->Suggestions)

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I don't give my Tivo any thumbs up on anything and the bloody thing keeps recording stuff that i don't want to watch, why is this and how do you stop it?
I think you may have answered your own question . Using thumbs will teach it what you like and don't like.

If you don't want Suggestions at all, turn them off in the setttings menu
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 23:27   #19
Mad Max
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,109
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

Quote:
If you don't want Suggestions at all, turn them off in the setttings menu

Ok thanks for that....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 22:25   #20
Chad
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

Still waiting for TiVo to recommend a movie

I feel I'm giving it all the info it needs but it just isn't happening.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:55   #21
Ardbeg1977
cf.member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gravesend
Services: Volt 1Gig
Posts: 11
Ardbeg1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Five questions about Tivo after 6 months use, help please

[QUOTE=spiderplant;35417823]

That's broadband contention in your area. But hang in there - plans are afoot to dedicate more capacity to Tivo.

Hi Spiderplant,

I get iPlayer buffering on Tivo in my area (Gravesend) but also on my XBOX 360, which runs off my, recently speed-doubled, 100Meg connection. Web surfing is perfect, now, touch wood, after about year of poor performance. So, I was wondering if this is due to insufficient capacity at the BBC, or is it due, maybe, to the way VM prioritises streaming traffic? Or maybe the MS servers need more capacity? I prefer the iPlayer UI on the XBOX to the Tivo, although the PQ is not as good.

Regards

Dave
Ardbeg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:39.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum