13-11-2011, 00:18
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Posts: 9,699
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
What does 'Jedi' count as 
|
I guess that would be Agnostic, as they believe in The Force...
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 00:20
|
#17
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Midichlorians, actually....
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 06:03
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Leeds
Age: 55
Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Posts: 657
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
What does 'Jedi' count as 
|
Well it is a religion so it would be agnostic  .
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 06:21
|
#19
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,102
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
What does 'Jedi' count as 
|
I feel you will be forced to find that out for yourself
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 07:32
|
#20
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Atheist but with a deep respect to those who have used their faiths and religions for the good of others and for some of the most beautiful architecture and cultural heritage.
I quite deeply despise those who have used their faiths and religions to create hell on earth and to subvert and use minds to injure and kill.
And yes I do appreciate that atheists are capable of either behaviour.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 07:39
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Leeds
Age: 55
Services: XXL customer with movies and sport +HD And now TiVo.
Posts: 657
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
I quite deeply despise those who have used their faiths and religions to create hell on earth and to subvert and use minds to injure and kill.
And yes I do appreciate that atheists are capable of either behaviour. 
|
   Yes sometimes I believe that religion is one of the greatest evils known to man. Christians used it against all other religions back in the crusade's and now Islamic fundamentalists do it now.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 07:57
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
Atheist but with a deep respect to those who have used their faiths and religions for the good of others and for some of the most beautiful architecture and cultural heritage.
|
That's what it's all about really from my angle too these days - showing respect to the people and their achievements even though you don't necessarily respect or share their beliefs. How very Humanistic of you
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 08:25
|
#23
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
l am Agnostic and thats because of several very serious moments in my life healthwise l had a belief that l would come through it and l am not obsessed with religion but someone was helping me through this.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 08:43
|
#24
|
|
Guest
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Atheist I cannot believe in a benevolent diety given what I have seen in the past personally let alone what we all see on our tele's everyday. While I will support the right of anyone to hold and practice whatever belief they wish I encourage those I know to make the choice when they are old enough to be able to understand all aspects of it.
|
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 08:49
|
#25
|
|
vox populi vox dei
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,602
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing
Atheist I cannot believe in a benevolent diety given what I have seen in the past personally let alone what we all see on our tele's everyday. While I will support the right of anyone to hold and practice whatever belief they wish I encourage those I know to make the choice when they are old enough to be able to understand all aspects of it.
|
the children of believers don't seem to have a choice though its thrust upon them from birth .
well that's the way this atheist see's it , i would like to see laws that stop people indoctrinating children into religion until their young minds are mature enough to decide for themselves .
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 12:21
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro
Sky Talk
Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
l am Agnostic and thats because of several very serious moments in my life healthwise l had a belief that l would come through it and l am not obsessed with religion but someone was helping me through this.
|
I felt the same when I had to be strong for my wife as she battled in vain against cancer.
I was going to vote atheist but after being reminded of this experience I'm going to abstain as I am not sure of anything.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 12:22
|
#27
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
I'm an Atheist because there is no God. It was all made up. if there were a God he would do some of that magic that was all the rage in the old days.
I don't go for the he doesn't have to prove himself. I think if he's real and not made up then he won't have a problem showing himself. infact it would get him more votes.
I believe that there is no life after death. when you die you die. that's it.
no heaven, no hell, no nothing.
you just exist, and then you die.
no intervention of anything supernatural.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 12:32
|
#28
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Flawed poll - everyone believes in religion, there is evidences for it everywhere
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 12:40
|
#29
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Flawed poll - everyone believes in religion, there is evidences for it everywhere 
|
Yeh, you'll have a hard job joining anything where God isn't mentioned somewhere.
like the scouts that my nephew has recently joined.
"I promise to do my best
To be kind and helpful
And to love God"
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 12:47
|
#30
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L
Yeh, you'll have a hard job joining anything where God isn't mentioned somewhere.
like the scouts that my nephew has recently joined.
"I promise to do my best
To be kind and helpful
And to love God" 
|
Not unsurprisingly you've totally missed the point.
The question is "Do you believe in religion"? Of course you do. There are groups of people out there who claim to be religious so you are quite prepared to believe that religion exists.
That's just me being picky anyway as the poll is far too restrictive for most people to even consider answering it.
I'm not a follower of a religion however what I believe in is far more specific than the stated 'something' and I'm certainly no atheist so I can't answer any of them.
I'm a little puzzled at why someone with clear and obvious intelligence has created a poll with such restrictive options
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:01.
|