Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
10-11-2011, 19:18
|
#16
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,581
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
I'm sure Kymmy won't mind me pointing out that she is herself ex-RAF. When it comes to judging what's an intelligent question with regards to aircraft design and operations, I'll take her first-hand experience over your second-hand experience any day.
|
|
|
10-11-2011, 19:19
|
#17
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
Probably didn't want to cause a fuss.
|
True. up in the air and people panicking just because a wheel fell off?
best just to keep it to yourself.
|
|
|
10-11-2011, 19:31
|
#18
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
I work for a company that puts new rubber on plane wheel rims, as well as landing gear to name two things
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
10-11-2011, 20:06
|
#19
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
I would always tell the cabin crew and have done in the past if I felt something was not right.
Rather it be sorted out on the ground or be informed all is ok than discover problems in the climb or in mid air.
|
|
|
10-11-2011, 20:14
|
#20
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable
My uncle is RAF an has been at Scampton and is currently at Shawbury and I think I will choose to believe his "Employment history" which I know is 100% fact.
|
I didn't realise the RAF had Bombadier Q400's?
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
10-11-2011, 20:47
|
#21
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable
My uncle is RAF an has been at Scampton and is currently at Shawbury and I think I will choose to believe his "Employment history" which I know is 100% fact.
|
Oh dear another fail from you, what a surprise, pity you do not take notice of posts giving her previous employment.
|
|
|
10-11-2011, 20:55
|
#22
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable
WOW LOL, Shows how little you know, For one that aircraft has an history of issues and two you wouldn't get any pressure reading at all. I suspect this would leave the pilot to believe there was a fault.
As a zero pressure reading is unheard of. Although your post did make me laugh lol...
|
WOW LOL aren't you rude . As it happens there are numerous systems available to detect low tire pressure in aircraft they are called TPMS
Quote:
|
A tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is a means to electronically measure and report the current tire pressure. Some systems are capable of transmitting the information to the flight deck while other systems are for use on the ground by maintenance personnel
|
http://standards.sae.org/arp6137/
|
|
|
|
11-11-2011, 08:41
|
#24
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh
WOW LOL aren't you rude . As it happens there are numerous systems available to detect low tire pressure in aircraft they are called TPMS
http://standards.sae.org/arp6137/
|
None of the wheels that my comapny touch have this system in the wheels.
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
15-11-2011, 17:44
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Chris try looking at the plane spotters thread if you want more lulz
The pressure sensors on that tyre will read LOW (that is any point from their alarm setting to zero) so the loss of the wheel itself will give a LOW reading (the same if the sensor pipe failed or the tyre was punctured)
Either way the alarm reading or the handling of the aircraft (lateral shift of the CoG or reduction in drag to one side) should also have alerted a professional pilot to their being an issue somewhere..
I'm now looking forward to the next (let's get one over on Kymmy) attempt by this poster as it's really lifting my spirits atm
|
|
|
15-11-2011, 18:12
|
#26
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable
My uncle is RAF an has been at Scampton and is currently at Shawbury and I think I will choose to believe his "Employment history" which I know is 100% fact.
|
My Uncle was head mechanic at one of the largest Volkswagen Audi Group service centres in the Midlands (he actually had the honour of servicing the last orginal Beetle that was built, which was never sold by VW). Doesn't follow that I know enough about the mechanics behind how cars operate enough to argue with a qualified mechanic.
|
|
|
15-11-2011, 18:14
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r
I checked with a wheel guy at work and none that he knows of have any pressure sensors in them.
We do C-130, Helicopters, 737, gulfstream & other small size aircraft and some Airbus.
|
Tyre maintenance systems have been around for many a year with the first pressure detection systems for aircraft being patented pre WW2. It does depend on the manufacturer with a few aircraft having it as standard and some as an option. It is though isn't compulsory and looking round I'm surprised that few commercial aircraft have it installed. Instead it seems to be cargo carriers (especially oversized) that have these systems fitted as well as being more prevalent states side. I didn't state that the Q400 had one fitted or not but assumed that for such a crucial part that most manufacturers would fit one as standard.. Either way the pilot should have known whether by alarm or handling..
|
|
|
15-11-2011, 18:20
|
#28
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
Tyre maintenance systems have been around for many a year with the first pressure detection systems for aircraft being patented pre WW2. It does depend on the manufacturer with a few aircraft having it as standard and some as an option. It is though isn't compulsory and looking round I'm surprised that few commercial aircraft have it installed. Instead it seems to be cargo carriers (especially oversized) that have these systems fitted as well as being more prevalent states side.
|
Actually, this isn't strictly related to the thread, but in my pre-Uni days, I was a freight forwarding clerk. I was slightly alarmed to find that often the restrictions on the vehicles used to carry freight were (in some cases) a lot harsher than those used to carry people. For instance, if the frieght was carried under a letter of credit, the LOC often specified that the vehicle used (be it a plane or ship) was less than 15 years old. AFAIK, no such restriction exists on Passenger vehicles.
|
|
|
15-11-2011, 18:36
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Usually the case, the freight can be worth more and a more straight forward pay-out than the lives of the passengers
|
|
|
15-11-2011, 18:58
|
#30
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Passengers watch wheel falling off their plane but don't think to tell anyone
Yeah, but at the time I was a Freight Forwarding clerk, I was naive enough to believe that Human lives were more important than goods...
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:19.
|