Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Youtube an absolute joke

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Youtube an absolute joke
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2011, 12:55   #16
GazCBG
Inactive
 
GazCBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

I have the same problem 30MB with modem (was on 50MB)
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2011, 18:28   #17
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Hurrah for VM having the highest packet loss of any major ISP.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 11:25   #18
Efour
Inactive
 
Efour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 317
Efour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really nice
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Ive stopped even trying to watch streaming media with Virgin in "peak hours"
Everytime i want to use my connection i firstly check packetloss then take it from there... its terrible.
Efour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 11:28   #19
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker
 
Sirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efour View Post
Ive stopped even trying to watch streaming media with Virgin in "peak hours"
Everytime i want to use my connection i firstly check packetloss then take it from there... its terrible.
I had Tivo installed and have tried the youtube app, That does not stream well at all. It stops and starts just like it does on my PC
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user

https://nobaraproject.org/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 15:39   #20
MikeyB
Inactive
 
MikeyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Swindon
Age: 54
Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
Posts: 810
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Had the same problem with Youtube when I was with VM on my 10Mb connection, even switching to 240p wouldn't help some time with buffering or even non-starting videos.

Since I've been with Talk Talk at the beginning of May, Youtube has been fine, can now watch HD videos, they never played more than a few seconds before constant buffering on VM.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 11:50   #21
Horace
©Beam Software
 
Horace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Teesside
Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Posts: 1,411
Horace has reached the bronze age
Horace has reached the bronze age
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Youtube has ALWAYS been bad at peak, since I've experienced the same problems on othe ISP's I don't think VM can do a great deal about it unless it's down to which providers are used to route to the US. If you use an ipad as I do it gets even worse because the built in app automatically selects the highest quality stream.
The only solution I've found is to use a downloader, YourTube on IOS or an addon for Firefox.
__________________


"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 15:26   #22
AdamD
Inactive
 
AdamD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Services: VM 50Mb
Posts: 1,665
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Interesting that my mother's freebie Sky ADSL broadband can stream high def from youtube, but not my £45 a month 100mb Virgin cable broadband, lol :P
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 15:30   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Bad peering FTL.

That said unless you're comparing the same video from the same CDN server at the same time, it's hard to rule out the hundred other factors that might be involved.

I've had issues with Youtube in the evenings on a gigabit JANET connection, it really doesn't say much.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 20:12   #24
cook1984
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 556
cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

I have the same issue, Vodafone 3G works fine but Virgin doesn't in the evenings. Talk about a joke.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 20:19   #25
New to cable
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 352
New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

I don't know if this is acceptable to a lot of you with these issues but..

I had the same issues, I upgraded to 100Mb ,still had issues, had a VMNG300 sent out still the same issues.

My solution....I had a ADSL2+ Line installed and use it for online gaming,VoIP etc. I'm sure VM must be working to sort these problems out. But unfortunately as they won't let me out the contract I have to pay for a VM line and a ADSL line.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 19:11   #26
cook1984
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 556
cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post
My solution....I had a ADSL2+ Line installed and use it for online gaming,VoIP etc. I'm sure VM must be working to sort these problems out. But unfortunately as they won't let me out the contract I have to pay for a VM line and a ADSL line.
Just cancel your direct debit until they fix it. I did that when T-Mobile stopped covering my house and I had constant no-signal problems. They had several opportunities to fix it but didn't, so in the end I stopped paying since they were no longer supplying the service. They sent a couple of nasty letters, I sent a couple back clearly stating that I would be happy to resume payment once the problem was resolved, and after a while they gave up and went silent.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:25   #27
Risco
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maidstone
Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Posts: 674
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Yup, I get the same issues. I am not a big downloader, I just use my connection for internet and gaming. The only reason I have 50mb is so I when I do want something downloaded I do not have to wait ages! However Virgins youtube connection is nothing short of shocking.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:24   #28
Zee
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North West London
Age: 37
Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Posts: 2,962
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Sky connection able to stream YouTube 1080p videos, day or night perfectly but not VM 30Mb service, what a joke.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 00:15   #29
Zee
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North West London
Age: 37
Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Posts: 2,962
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

VM has posted a thread regarding the issues with YouTube and other streaming sites. It would be nice if people experiencing issues also reply to the thread with the information requested so the issue can be fixed as soon as possible.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ue/td-p/655227
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 20:53   #30
AdamD
Inactive
 
AdamD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Services: VM 50Mb
Posts: 1,665
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age
Re: Youtube an absolute joke

Since switching to Sky's unlimited package, I've had no problems at all with Youtube, at any time of the day.

I still have a live Virgin line till the 8th of September and as a test, I switched back to it, cleared my browsers cache and low and behold, the same stuttering/buffering video problems came back, mostly in the evenings again.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:14.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum