Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | STM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

STM
View Poll Results: STM - What would you like VM to do ?
STM need to be reviewing and changing soon 9 12.68%
I am happy with the currently STM and don't changing STM 17 23.94%
I think STM is being unfair and should have done better 14 19.72%
Abolish STM once for all 41 57.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-03-2009, 15:58   #16
zing_deleted

Re: STM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
I think STM is brilliant, I think it should be 24 hours, and I think they should instigate a '3 strikes and you're out' policy for persistent offenders
I think you should be dragged out put up against the wall and shot for thinking that lol
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2009, 16:00   #17
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
So would you be happy to fund VM for the network upgrades that are needed?

If you don't like STM and want full speed 24/7 I suggest a leased line, I don't like STM and thinks its unfair in the way its done but I aint paying for a leased line.

VM will need to fund it eventually the infrastructure will not last forever. With BTs plans of cable hitting a good few areas in 2012 VM do not have much time without competition. Now I have no idea what needs doing all I know is something needs doing .
Old 22-03-2009, 16:01   #18
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

I've only ever been STM'd a few times, I do my downloading first thing in the morning or after 10pm when I get home from work.
If you feel the need to download the entire content of the web, do it between 9pm and 10am.
I'd much prefer having STM the way VM do it, rather than hit a limit and have no net at all for the rest of the month or a pitiful 80kb/s.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 16:02   #19
vb_packets
Inactive

vb_packets is an unknown quantity at this point

just get rid of it then the servers will be free from complaints about STM
vb_packets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 16:03   #20
zing_deleted

I will be honest and if STM gets any tighter than it is now I will be tempted to either get Sky as well as VM and just dump VMs tv and phone or and this one wont be liked get a bank of cloned modems to compensate for my loss of bandwidth
Old 22-03-2009, 16:08   #21
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

I would imagine that the natural answer, as a customer, is that it's gotten rid of.

What it might cost VM to do this isn't the consumer's problem, that it was introduced at the time of the 10->20Mbit upgrades made it very clear that it was introduced so that VM could deploy that upgrade as they didn't have the capacity, as also evidenced by the large amount of capacity introduced since the upgrade.

The obvious answer for me is to get rid. If they have an issue with the manner in which some customers use the service deal with them individually, and/or stop selling the service as unlimited.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 16:10   #22
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
I would imagine that the natural answer, as a customer, is that it's gotten rid of.

What it might cost VM to do this isn't the consumer's problem, that it was introduced at the time of the 10->20Mbit upgrades made it very clear that it was introduced so that VM could deploy that upgrade as they didn't have the capacity, as also evidenced by the large amount of capacity introduced since the upgrade.

The obvious answer for me is to get rid. If they have an issue with the manner in which some customers use the service deal with them individually, and/or stop selling the service as unlimited.
they should stop willy waving and offer a service the network can support and not pretend speeds they can not offer 24/7
Old 22-03-2009, 16:13   #23
xocemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
I've only ever been STM'd a few times, I do my downloading first thing in the morning or after 10pm when I get home from work.
If you feel the need to download the entire content of the web, do it between 9pm and 10am.
I'd much prefer having STM the way VM do it, rather than hit a limit and have no net at all for the rest of the month or a pitiful 80kb/s.
Now theres another option missed,

Remove STM and have caps.
Old 22-03-2009, 16:15   #24
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I've removed a couple of rather personal and completely unnecessary comments from this thread.

Understand now that this sort of attitude towards other posters won't be tolerated, if you've got nothing pleasant or constructive to say then don't bother posting please.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 17:34   #25
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
I think they should instigate a '3 strikes and you're out' policy for persistent offenders
Isn't that a contradiction, surely you couldn't persist if you were out after 3 strikes
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 17:47   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think STM is brilliant, I think it should be 24 hours, and I think they should instigate a '3 strikes and you're out' policy for persistent offenders
if they needed to have a permanent 24hr restriction in place if you downloaded more than X amount then there would be something seriously wrong. I can kind of understand why they need it in the evenings because I can imagine pretty much everyoneis using the internet at the same time and I honestly dont mind having that cap (which i don't on 50mbit now). However, I accepted that knowing that after 9 i could download whatever I wanted to and not have to worry. If VM havent got the juice available in the early hours of the morning for me to download 20gb or 80gb then a higher power needs to start looking into things.

Broadbings might be a better person to answer this because the important unanswered question atm is this:

We have been harping on about docsis 3 for ages and that it works on a different frequency or something and that we can now use these bonded channels and all this extra bandwidth and stuff and it is so good that the 20mbit dudes have migrated across (so by VMs admission that is 95% of their network traffic now on docsis 2/3) and all your are left with is the 2mbit and 10mbit dudes on docsis1. So apart from the fact that we are customers and don't want stm, the question is, why is there still a need for it?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 18:05   #27
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
So apart from the fact that we are customers and don't want stm, the question is, why is there still a need for it?
Because the more STM they use. the more customers they can put on there which means more money.
nobody will begrudge a company making money. but both sides have to play fair.

We'll have the STM if you stop bringing more on and increasing the load on us by having to STM and STM till we're all paying for something that is unuseable because of your willingness to overcrowd the house to bursting point.

Then we go back to the point of there should be plenty of breathing space now. so why do we need STM? they lied about it being better than it really is? they don't want us to use as much bandwidth as we do? they like the negative comments as a result of STM?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 19:32   #28
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of

STM is a step backwards. VM should be trying to move forwards, i.e. by making their services better, not worse.

They could make a fortune if they just had the balls to go for it. Scrap STM, start heavily promoting iPlayer/ITVplayer/C4OD etc and set up an online movie download service. Work on getting caching of popular services (like iPlayer) up and running to reduce external bandwidth costs, rather than just reducing the service.

The problem is that VM don't have much competition in the area of broadband. Most people either have it because they alraedy have the TV/phone (so either can't get ADSL or VM is cheaper anyway) or they want a high download speed but live more than two doors down from the exchange.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 20:03   #29
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
I think you should be dragged out put up against the wall and shot for thinking that lol
and for once, I agree with Zingle.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 23:34   #30
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think people are getting too wound up about something that IF it ever changes will be at least 6 months away was posted by someone that seems to be making stuff up and grasping at straws.