20-07-2004, 15:47
|
#16
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 13,331
|
Re: those green boxes.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by SMHarman
But this is where CLI hardware would need to be located as this is the first point NTL telco is put through copper?
|
I'm not sure there need to be any "special" hardware for CLI. I can't speak for all the ntl access networks but the mux equipment in the cabletel areas was Cmux/Cmux2. I would have thought it was software at the Switch, which in cabletel areas was System X that would have the CLI software/hardware.
I dont see why the fibre/copper demarcation would be significant.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
|
|
|
20-07-2004, 16:11
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: Cablevision
Posts: 8,305
|
Re: those green boxes.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Pierre
I'm not sure there need to be any "special" hardware for CLI. I can't speak for all the ntl access networks but the mux equipment in the cabletel areas was Cmux/Cmux2. I would have thought it was software at the Switch, which in cabletel areas was System X that would have the CLI software/hardware.
I dont see why the fibre/copper demarcation would be significant.
|
Read in another thread that the CLI is a simple modem signal sent down the copper, it cannot be sent down the fibre in that manner so the equipment in big green cabs had to be capable of creating CLI signals. Some Cable infrastructure builders cut corners and bought cheap equipment that did not do this.
|
|
|
20-07-2004, 16:28
|
#18
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 13,331
|
Re: those green boxes.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Read in another thread that the CLI is a simple modem signal sent down the copper, it cannot be sent down the fibre in that manner so the equipment in big green cabs had to be capable of creating CLI signals. Some Cable infrastructure builders cut corners and bought cheap equipment that did not do this.
|
I don't really know enough so I can't argue with you, it just doesn't sound right to me. I've been inside nodal cabs many times, even installed HDSL units and business fibre in some and I have never seed a special piece of hardware specifically for CLI.
Perhaps a current ntl engineer can explain.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
|
|
|
20-07-2004, 16:49
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: Cablevision
Posts: 8,305
|
Re: those green boxes.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Pierre
I don't really know enough so I can't argue with you, it just doesn't sound right to me. I've been inside nodal cabs many times, even installed HDSL units and business fibre in some and I have never seed a special piece of hardware specifically for CLI.
Perhaps a current ntl engineer can explain.
|
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...3&page=1&pp=15
Post 15?
|
|
|
21-07-2004, 06:10
|
#20
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 81
|
Re: those green boxes.
Noticed another green box that needs a look at, its in uplands crescent, Swansea, bottom has been pulled away and cables are exposed.
Dont know the postcode sorry but do have a street map.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...app=newmap.srf
|
|
|
21-07-2004, 07:52
|
#21
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
Posts: 5,983
|
Re: those green boxes.
Interesting thread. SMHarman's conjecture is slightly wide of the mark, the UBR is actually in an central head-end way above the cabs in the hierarchy. They can serve thousands of customers so putting one in a cab would be a waste of capacity (and easy to nick - the chassis is generic and quite expensive).
|
|
|
21-07-2004, 13:35
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Leeds - the dog house
Age: 49
Services: Email me for a current price list
Posts: 8,270
|
Re: those green boxes.
The standard green box that's always being broken into seems to have been designed on the assumption that no one would want to break into them because there's nothing of value inside, which isn't how the mind of a chav works
|
|
|
21-07-2004, 13:44
|
#23
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 51
Posts: 7,101
|
Re: those green boxes.
BT's green boxes are interesting to noob phreakers who have just discovered boxing....maybe the vandals are assuming they can do similar things with ntl's ones too ...or maybe they're just bored and smashing 'em up is a fun thing to do for someone with a pea-sized brain.
|
|
|
21-07-2004, 13:54
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Leeds - the dog house
Age: 49
Services: Email me for a current price list
Posts: 8,270
|
Re: those green boxes.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by GDW1975
maybe they're just bored and smashing 'em up is a fun thing to do for someone with a pea-sized brain.
|
Gets my vote
|
|
|
21-07-2004, 15:14
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: northants
Age: 58
Posts: 124
|
Re: those green boxes.
Hi ALL,
Just looking through this thread that this problem is not only in the northants area it is everywhere surly to god ntl should look at this before sombody gets hurt.
homer
Ps in northants they are open everywhere you look
|
|
|
23-07-2004, 08:05
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 477
|
Re: those green boxes.
When I did a bit of work at BT as an engineer a while ago. *******s were always opening the cabs, pouring petrol in them and setting them on fire.
|
|
|
23-07-2004, 08:07
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 477
|
Re: those green boxes.
Probably just need a better locking system on them.
|
|
|
24-07-2004, 01:32
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Leeds - the dog house
Age: 49
Services: Email me for a current price list
Posts: 8,270
|
Re: those green boxes.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by andrew_wallasey
Probably just need a better locking system on them.
|
It's awful. Everywhere I go I find myself looking for boxes and noting the colours and configurations. There's nothing wrong with a green anorak
Anyways. I've noticed that the ones in the city centre are much more sturdy and have big locks on the front. They're also grey but I think that's a aesthetic thing. It seems silly that the el cheapo flimsy boxes are in residential areas, where they're most likely to be damaged, and the tougher ones are in the city where they're least likely to be damaged. Could it have anything to do with the fact that in the city the boxes supply services to businesses? Hmmm.
|
|
|
25-07-2004, 05:24
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Woolwich
Age: 60
Services: Virgin Media TV only : XL (3 V type STB (2 Samsung and 1 Pace))
Posts: 145
|
Re: those green boxes.
My green box, which I keep a very good eye on, as only been vandalised with graffiti. Engineers keep leaving the damn doors open, so I lock them using a good old 12inch screwdriver (perhaps I shouldn't be telling you this)!
|
|
|
28-07-2004, 07:41
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I lay my hat, thats my home...
Services: Dispensing wit and wisdom in so far as I am able .
P3 500Mhz/ 2Mb BB when it works,no Tv,n
Posts: 1,067
|
Re: those green boxes.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by hoggyspuds
The police for starters.......and then the firing squad! Kids these days have no fear!
|
Thats true. I work in the gas industry and recently visited a large site in Bishop Auckland which houses large turbofan compressors and other associated high pressure gas distribution equipment. The site has twin high electrified fences (perimeter and inner),but security tell me they still get children trespassing on the site. When told about the electric fencing they apparently just said "..it doesnt bother us,it just throws us off and we climb back up again..",,ah well,where theres no sense,theres no feeling!. I suggested that he turn the fence up a few notches and kill the b*******..!!
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38.
|