Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unable to acquire network address

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unable to acquire network address

Old 21-02-2008, 11:35   #16
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: Unable to acquire network address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpanchev View Post
And maybe stop giving advice in an area that you obviously know nothing about? Callumpy, better start reading and studying for let's say 2-3 years first, then come back and post advices in this forum?
In what way do I not know anything about this.

CISCO and CompTIA A+ trained, worked for past 7 years in IT Support, just had our Senior Tech at work(large local authority) look at my original post and he finds nothing wrong with it.

I don't mind not giving advice if it's not appreciated, i'd rather not get into disagreements on forums.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2008, 11:38   #17
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

CISCO and CompTIA A+ trained, worked for past 7 years in IT Support, just had our Senior Tech at work(large local authority) look at my original post and he finds nothing wrong with it.

I don't mind not giving advice if it's not appreciated, i'd rather not get into disagreements on forums.
My advice was for Callumpy, just backing you up, mate
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 11:39   #18
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

hes on about callumpy
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 11:46   #19
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
My advice was for Callumpy, just backing you up, mate
oops! Sorry about that! Trying to do too many thing at once.

Have a green REP as an apology
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:05   #20
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Quote:
And maybe stop giving advice in an area that you obviously know nothing about? Callumpy, better start reading and studying for let's say 2-3 years first, then come back and post advices in this forum?
i only wanted to help
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:13   #21
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Ok, let's chill out a little please. It's nice for everyone to want to offer advice and assistance to others. Mistakes are made, and we can all get things wrong. Most of us learn from our misunderstandings of the concepts and can only do that when we suggest something that others can then correct.

Confusion about the differences between switches and routers is surprisingly common, especially when even the most basic of networking concepts don't feature in the majority of computer use courses.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 12:43   #22
kpanchev
Inactive

kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
oops! Sorry about that! Trying to do too many thing at once.

Have a green REP as an apology
Thanks, very few people here that know what they are talking about. I try to ignore posts that are rubbish, but sometimes it comes too much...
and for Rob, we are not heating up, we are just discussing educational needs and possibilities here
Old 21-02-2008, 12:44   #23
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Ok, let's chill out a little please. It's nice for everyone to want to offer advice and assistance to others. Mistakes are made, and we can all get things wrong. Most of us learn from our misunderstandings of the concepts and can only do that when we suggest something that others can then correct.

Confusion about the differences between switches and routers is surprisingly common, especially when even the most basic of networking concepts don't feature in the majority of computer use courses.
The reason i said it didnt matter is cause i had a 4 port VPN which did supply a firewall and NAT, it also could be used as a DCHP. Obviously i didnt need the DCHP bit but i dont have VPN anymore as im selling it!
Old 21-02-2008, 13:04   #24
kpanchev
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumpy View Post
The reason i said it didnt matter is cause i had a 4 port VPN which did supply a firewall and NAT, it also could be used as a DCHP. Obviously i didnt need the DCHP bit but i dont have VPN anymore as im selling it!
This is a common problem, as most devices that are sold for home use are a combination of a router and a switch, sometimes a modem and a wireless access point. And when you get a single device, because the outer looks are nearly the same, most people are confused. Sometimes people do need to read the technical data on the device that they buy, and please, ignore anything said by any sales person in any computer store, especially in PC World!!!
Old 21-02-2008, 13:06   #25
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This is a common problem, as most devices that are sold for home use are a combination of a router and a switch, sometimes a modem and a wireless access point. And when you get a single device, because the outer looks are nearly the same, most people are confused. Sometimes people do need to read the technical data on the device that they buy, and please, ignore anything said by any sales person in any computer store, especially in PC World!!!
Its not even made for home use, it was a business device but it had a intergrated switch
Old 21-02-2008, 18:37   #26
eponymous1212
Inactive

eponymous1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your various explanations and points of view (the finer points of which are out of my depth). What I am able to clarify is:

1. It is definitely a switch
2. Right at the outset Matt picked up that it was “my actual ISP issued IP address, the address your cable modem gets” that was being detected.
3. The switch is fully automatic with no scope for configuration
4. To all intents and purposes I purchased the wrong piece of kit and thank you for enabling me to discover this.

The issue now is to avoid making the same mistake again.

- Is a manual switch box also an option or would I encounter precisely the same problem?
- Could you please suggest any basic routers that are likely to fit the bill?

Thanks again for all your help.
Eponymous1212
eponymous1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 19:21   #27
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Epony, have a look at this router... http://www.ebuyer.com/product/90827 wireless and its Linksys which 99% of the time do supply good kit.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 20:24   #28
eponymous1212
Inactive

eponymous1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your various explanations and points of view (the finer points of which are out of my depth). What I am able to clarify is:

1. It is definitely a switch
2. Right at the outset Matt picked up that it was “my actual ISP issued IP address, the address your cable modem gets” that was being detected.
3. The switch is fully automatic with no scope for configuration
4. To all intents and purposes I purchased the wrong piece of kit and thank you for enabling me to discover this.

The issue now is to avoid making the same mistake again.

- Is a manual switch box also an option or would I encounter precisely the same problem?
- Could you please suggest any basic routers that are likely to fit the bill?

Thanks again for all your help.
Eponymous1212

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Doc Dutch,

Very many thanks – looks just ticket and excellent value!

Many thanks,
Eponymous1212

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Kpanchev,

Thanks for this – on the question of learning the hard way … my mistake combined with the scope of the forum to help identify the problem has provided a very useful learning curve

On the other hand, PC World was a totally negative experience … and would never touch again with a barge pole … made the fatal mistake of requesting technical assistance on what product to purchase … was sold something totally incompatible and then had insult added to injury when they totally refused to take it back!!

So your advice is strongly endorsed.

Many thanks,
Eponymous1212
eponymous1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 22:26   #29
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Epony, I know that 1 pretty well.... when I used to work for an IT company the amount of peeps I had on the phone that bought a wrong product at PCW... shocking bad service there.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 23:13   #30
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If you have bought something, and it's been missold, it is not fit for purpose and thus the shop has no choice but to give a refund. If necessary I'd sit in the shop until they gave in.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote