Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin cable Netgear Router problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin cable Netgear Router problems

Old 27-08-2010, 12:26   #16
cela
Inactive

cela is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Virgin cable Netgear Router problems

Hi folks

my first post on this Forum

On tuesday I decided to upgrade to 20Mb from 10Mb on Virgin Broadband, the guy said we will send you a free Hub, the Netgear VMDG280. He said you will only need to change it from the existing modem. Little did I know what problems I would have. I followed instructions and had the new hub activated. Result no broadband connection. Following over two hours on the phone, it was concluded, by the Virgin representative, that the hub was working Ok and it was a problem with my computer settings. Please note I have not attempted to use the wireless part of the hub, the not connection was using a cable directly from the new hub to my desktop. As a last resort I rang Virgin Customer Services and complained re the conclusion reached that it was my problem and they are looking into it and hoped to have a solution in 2 to 7 days. To get my broadband back I have reconnected the old modem and checking my download speed through this it looks as if I have the new higher speed. However, I need the new hub to work as my existing wireless router a Netgear WGT 624 seems to reduce my broadband speed from around 19Mb to 11Mb (when my desk top is connected, cabled, through the 624, with a laptop connected through the 624 the speed is reduced still further to around 3.5Mb. (When I had 10Mb broadband I got around 8.8Mb speed so the router did not reduce speed at this level, it just seems to be affected with the higher speed)

Can anyone shed any light on why I should lose so much speed when using the Netgear 624 router in this way.

Thanks for looking
cela is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2012, 23:17   #17
sammich
Inactive

sammich is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Virgin cable Netgear Router problems

ive been having simmilar issues... ok so like ive got a virgin media cable modem and i wanted to like beam wifi from it to pc in next room... ok so some dude was like i will sell you a router for a tenner and i was like... done. its like a netgear n140 and it says on it its a orangew product or something so um like i mean i got the usb dogle thingy... how do i get it working please? i tried just randomly plugging it into the modem but its having none of it. im happy to like supply extra info it it helps? oh btw im running xp pro
sammich is offline   Reply With Quote