Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NAT's

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NAT's

Old 13-05-2010, 09:04   #16
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: NAT's

Just a thought, why cant you use the first router to connect up both Xbox,s whilst turning off all security, disabling NAT etc, then run an ethernet from 1st to 2nd router and enable all security on that one.

It sounds plausible but I have no idea if it will work
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2010, 09:12   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Mainly as if you disable NAT then the box effectlively becomes a glorified switch , and if the xbox boots first it'll get the external IP or if the 2nd router boots up first it'll get the external IP, but never both at the same time..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 09:40   #18
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Mainly as if you disable NAT then the box effectlively becomes a glorified switch , and if the xbox boots first it'll get the external IP or if the 2nd router boots up first it'll get the external IP, but never both at the same time..
Ok I follow you, what about this scenario then

1st router to 1st xbox with no security

join 1st router to second router (with NAT enabled) then attach second xbox then stick the 2nd xbox in the dmz

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Edit, just realised Kymmy, youve already answered my question as you cant use the same external IP twice, Doh
Old 13-05-2010, 10:16   #19
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I can though but that's the joy of the so many times I've mentioned VM Business which gives me 5 IP's (though I can also dynamic IP's not sure what the limit will be)

I think it's stupid though that there is this xbox live limitation
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 10:50   #20
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

It's a peer to peer gaming network. Without reachable external ports an XBox can't host games which would kill off the network.

I'm sure MS don't intend for XBL to not be inclusive.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 12:13   #21
Dexstroyer
Inactive

Services: V+ XL TV home phone + 3 Virgin Mobiles & 50MB Broadband Happy with the lot!
Dexstroyer is on a distinguished roadDexstroyer is on a distinguished road

Well im gonna give up on the subject, in fear of repeating myself or trying the same thing from a different angle; but.

On this website it can be found that the Microsoft certified routers with the correct firmware can run 2 xbox's with open NAT's; how?

I understand completely what your saying about 1 external address, and the fact they both fight for pole position to get to the open ports, but this been the case whats different with the certified routers,

And here for the list of certified routers,
Dexstroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 12:32   #22
pabscars
Inactive

It would certainly appear the easiest solution Dex, I take it you and your son play at the same time because if you don't, just do what I do, and stick which ever one your using in the DMZ, and it only takes a minute.

Also before we give up on this, what type of games do you play, some games arent really affected by NAT that much anyway.

I have 2 xbox's and 1 PS3, and when the wifes upstairs on say Peggle!!!!! and I,m on MW2 we can both still communicate ok on voice chat.

Regarding the other routers, I can only presume that just because they may say for eg, you have an open NAT on both consoles that actually they don't.

Therefore what looks ok must be ok if you catch my drift.
Old 14-05-2010, 18:44   #23
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just read a post on another forum talking about the DIR-615 D2 (the VM supplied router) and their post was about how pleased the user is with it, but I thought you would be interested in this part:

Quote:
Only one to have open NAT on 2 xboxes simultaneously out of the box
If the user got it from VM, then I assume it's running firmware v1.00VG. If they bought it standalone, then I assume it will be a D1 revision running firmware v4.11.

The DIR-615 was also on the US list of Xbox Live certified routers a few post back. I believe they can be found quite cheap.

I hope this helps.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 19:09   #24
Dexstroyer
Inactive

Services: V+ XL TV home phone + 3 Virgin Mobiles & 50MB Broadband Happy with the lot!

That is very interesting, especially since I have one! only reason I opted to buy the TP link was to get the GB LAN,

Im gonna give this a try tomorrow, I had tried this as the addition router when I tried connecting 2 (earlier post)

Thank you so much for this information, I will post the results back.
Old 14-05-2010, 23:05   #25
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem.

I've just thought, these might be useful too:

D-Link firmware
D-Link VM firmware
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 11:56   #26
Dexstroyer
Inactive

Nice one, need to check the model or something too as someone else has said the freebie may not work.

For anyone else who thinks it is not possible for you to have 1 IP address with multiple Xbox's connect to a router and all use the same ports through the NAT then read the attached (if its worked), it make an interesting read and will stop you looking for a solution. I have spent most evenings this week trying all sorts!
Basically just buy a router from the list of certified one's, contained in this document around page 7 explains how it all works and what is required by Microsoft from the manufacturers in order for it to work " out of the box "
Attached Files
File Type: doc Xbox-Live.doc (115.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 15-05-2010, 20:30   #27
lowei
Inactive

Services: BT INFINITY sky hd
lowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about themlowei has a spectacular aura about them

Hi
Dexstroyer
ShadowmanUK the chap who runs xboxlivetheguide is the best 1 to speak to regarding opening NAT's on xbox and i think you have already,He has help me with all my routers.
Ive got 4 xboxes running on 1 router all with open NAT's thanks to him.
lowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 20:44   #28
Dexstroyer
Inactive

I have yes, thanks to much googling!

People have said its not possible with one external IP address, but it is!
Old 15-05-2010, 21:52   #29
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Moved to Networking forum.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 22:01   #30
Polizcy
Inactive

Services: VM 10MB / VM L TV / VM S PHONE
Polizcy is an unknown quantity at this point

Its quiet simple.

1. Disable any DMZ - Demiltarized Zones
2. Disable any ports you've tried to forward regarding xboxs.
3. Ensure both xboxs are coupled up to the router using an ethernet cable
4. Assign static ip addresses to each xbox e.g.

Xbox 1 Info: IP - 192.168.1.134
Subnet - Automatic (usually 255.255.255.0)
Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (or your routers ip)

Xbox 2 Info: IP - 192.168.1.88
Subnet - Automatic (usually 255.255.255.0)
Gateway - 192.168.1.1 (or your routers ip)

Once their assigned. Test connection to xbox live. If all is successful have fun online! Else proceed to step 5.

5. Log into your router configuration page. (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 varys from router models)

6. Portforward the necessary ports to each individual ip address. (see portforward.com for your router model and the ports needed to forward.
Polizcy is offline   Reply With Quote