Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unlimited* mobile internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unlimited* mobile internet

Old 08-12-2008, 13:08   #16
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050
Re: Unlimited* mobile internet

Unlimited is a con, it really is! Ofcom need to crack down on this.. its a typical way of over selling your services. The same goes for web hosting.
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2008, 13:10   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
Only to show it's a mod edit or decision
And only if posted by a Mod..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:14   #18
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
The way it works is they know that a certain amount of people will see it for what it is and won't see it as unlimited. they don't want them people. they want the ones who purchase it on the basis of it being sold as unlimited.
A good business practice, I can't argue with it, however:
Quote:
there is small print to say that it's not unlimited. they put that there themselves because they know it's not unlimited.
The fact they have to rely on small print explicitly stating it's not unlimited is blatant misuse of the word, and Ofcom should be clamping down on it, but sadly they seem to be siding with ISPs and mobile phone providers on this.
Quote:
if they get complaints they just get referred to the small print. there is nobody to complain to about it being called unlimited when it's not.
Again, it shouldn't be allowed, and Ofcom should be stopping this happening.
Quote:
if it was a man on the markrt falsely selling it as unlimited he would be shutdown. but becuse it's a company they can keep on taking the money.
The rules should never be different for a conglomorate as large as Virgin compared to the market man. Just because they have more money to burn doesn't mean they should get away with it.
Quote:
they can say anything they like about a product. as long as they use a * next to the claim and small print explaining why it's not what they have claimed it to be, have or do.
See my point above. They should never have to rely on small print. I hate having to squint at the screen / letter / roadside ad to read the T+Cs. Advertising is advertising, but there are rules and they should be enforced.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:17   #19
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Unlimited is a con, it really is! Ofcom need to crack down on this.. its a typical way of over selling your services. The same goes for web hosting.
GET UNLIMITED* WEB ACCESS FOR 30P A DAY FROM VIRGIN MOBILE!

* No it doesn't mean how it reads. we will only let you have 25MB a day.

and we just know that when they do get questioned about it, they will bring in the sympathy thing about a Fair Use Policy, and how if everyone was to use it as much as they wanted then it wouldn't be fair on everyone else. it will be everyone elses fault and not their own.

and we as consumers believe that, and do blame each other.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:30   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Who are you having a go at Gary? As was pointed out earlier in the thread, the Unlimited* thing isn't just Virgin
Old 08-12-2008, 13:34   #21
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Its everywhere!

Hosting, servers, internet, phones, blah blah blah - it should be stoped, its just no fair!
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:38   #22
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Who are you having a go at Gary? As was pointed out earlier in the thread, the Unlimited* thing isn't just Virgin
I'm having a go at Virgin. I know it isn't just Virgin, but it's Virgin I'm having a go at
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 15:17   #23
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
Its everywhere!

Hosting, servers
Unfortunately it's us as consumers that encourage companies to offer "unlimited" services. Customers always want more for their money, so you do eventually reach a point where companies start making ridiculous claims.

Case in point, there's a wireless network near me called "20 meg baby", clearly showing off their fast connection as if it's a sign of prestige....when I'm sure they don't actually need it half the time; common activities such as browsing, iPlayer, VoIP etc don't need much more than 2Mb bandwidth.

None of my customers go anywhere near their webspace/data transfer allocations, but I know we've lost custom to competitors who offer "unlimited caveat" packages.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 15:18   #24
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm having a go at Virgin. I know it isn't just Virgin, but it's Virgin I'm having a go at
Out of character for you......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 11:17   #25
confucious

"Unlimited" in terms of mobile internet originally meant you were not limited to certain web sites (eg just WAP sites) and is now seriously outdated.

BUT if Virgin are charging iff you go over 25Mb in one day that is far more restrictive than T-Mobile who's 1Gb limit on W'n'W Standard is a FUP that you will not be charged for if you go over. If you go over the limit with T 2 months on the trot they reserve the right to restrict your downloads and will suggerst you go up to one of their other plans (I'm on W'n'W Plus which has a 3Gb limit but also allows HSDPA which W'n'W Std doesn't)

T- Mobile have one of the fairest FUPs out. I also have a 3 data plan with a 5Gb limit but 3 just stop you downl;oading if you reach the limit in a month.

Voda charge people (sometimes a LOT of money) if you go over.

O2 aren't bad.

Orange don't have any data plans worth talking about.

Virgin's would be better if it was 750Mb in a month as most people would struggle to reach that on a phone - although most people will find 25Mb a day plenty it is possible to exceed that and to charge when people go over rather than just warn or restrict people could end up with some people getting nasty surprises.

Having said all that it is a step in the right direction and good news