Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband

Old 24-01-2010, 21:29   #16
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age
Re: Broadband

The distance is really not going to be a problem. On 2.4ghz using a cantenna you can do a mile no problems (I've personally done a cantenna link of over 500m) 100m isn't going to be any sort of problem.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2010, 23:35   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I never said the distance would be a problem, deep space probes leaving the solarsystem use just 20w to transmit backj to earth. What I suggested is that 2.4 is more susceptable to interference (mainly due to sharing the band with a million and one devices that are unlicenced and tend to give out a lot of sproggies (technical talk ))
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 10:59   #18
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I never said the distance would be a problem, deep space probes leaving the solarsystem use just 20w to transmit backj to earth. What I suggested is that 2.4 is more susceptable to interference (mainly due to sharing the band with a million and one devices that are unlicenced and tend to give out a lot of sproggies (technical talk ))
Well you said over that distance interference would be a problem, my point is that it's rarely a problem over such small distances. If you can't get a full signal over 100m with a cantenna setup you've done something wrong.

One of the benefits of cantennas as well is it's trivial to adjust the polarisation of the signal (you literally just have to rotate the cantenna) so even if you are experiencing interference a quick rotate and you'll likely eliminate it.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 17:26   #19
shieldssecurity
Inactive

shieldssecurity is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Are these things any good ??????

EnGenius AP/BRIDGE, OUTDOOR, 802.11b/g
Item #:
EOC-1650
Price/ea:
€49.00

EOC1650 is a revolutionary product consists of conciseness, quality, and flexibility. It comes with 7dBi internal antenna and upgradable SMA interface provides a customizable interface for enhanced network coverage. Attached suction cup allows quick installation on window or smooth surface.

Operation mode provides Access Point / Client Bridge /Client Router and high bandwidth up to 54Mbps. It features high transmitted output power and high receivable sensitivity. High output power and high sensitivity extends range and coverage to reduce the roaming between Access Points to ensure a stable wireless connection and reduce the expense of equipment.

It supports distance control ranges from 1km to 30km (with suitable external antenna - not supplied) and RSSI indicator which enables the best transmitted and received signals for traffic communication. User can choose a suitable antenna for flexible application. This product comes with PoE injector for building in outdoor environment easily.

To protect wireless connectivity, EOC1650 encrypt wireless transmissions through 64/128-bit WEP data encryption and also supports WPA/WPA2. The MAC address filter lets you select exactly which stations should have access to your network. In addition, the User Isolation function can protect the private network between client users.

The attractive design, high performance, and array of features make EOC1650 an optimal wireless solution choice for your residence and office.

Package Content:

• 1 x 802.11b/g Long range AP/CB (EOC1650)
• 1 x PoE Injector (EPE-1212) with 24V/0.6 Power Adapter
• 1 x CD with User’s Manual
• 1 x QIG
• 1 x Metal strap
• 1 x Special screw set
• 1 x 5dBi SMA Antenna *

Features Include:

• High Speed Data Rate Up to 54Mbps
• High Output Power up to 20 dBm (ETSI)
• IEEE 802.11b/g Compliant
• Access Point/Client Bridge/Client Router multifunctional operation
• WEP, WPA, WPA2 (Encryption support TKIP/AES)
• Watertight and Weatherproof
• Wide temperature range and robust mechanical design
• Power-over-Ethernet (IEEE802.3af Compliant)
shieldssecurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 20:44   #20
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
My main worry if it's suspended for that distance is surge protection.. Any lightning within 10 miles will probably fry the router/hub
Sorry to hijack this thread - I have a question!

I've got a bit of CAT5e running from a faceplate on the study wall; up the inside of the palsterboard; into the loft and then out through the eves of the roof, down the side of the house and into a hole in the wall, into the lounge and terminated with an RJ45.

I assume this is also susceptible to lightning and the such. I suppose it would be a good idea to remove the patch from the patch point and the RJ45 from the switch during a storm?!
Old 25-01-2010, 21:10   #21
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldssecurity View Post
Hi,

I've got a customer who has broadband in his house and he now wants it in his barn.

The barn is about 90 mts from the house and the only way i can get to it from the house is suspended overhead.

Can i use the external 4 pair BT cable and if so do i connect it using rj45 plugs

thanks
My first thought was to get a Netgear WNDR3700 router. This has dual band wireless, including 5 GHz which is rarely used domestically. The 2.4GHz band tests well up to 350 feet. That covers your 90 metres. The 5GHz band is weaker on 300 feet, but you get less interference on that because most other router s don't use 5GHz. If you have any trouble you can get a signal booster.
These solutions sound a lot less work than digging trenches and laying trunking.

Retails for £120 at Amazon

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 13:32   #22
shieldssecurity
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldssecurity View Post
Are these things any good ??????

EnGenius AP/BRIDGE, OUTDOOR, 802.11b/g
Item #:
EOC-1650
Price/ea:
€49.00

EOC1650 is a revolutionary product consists of conciseness, quality, and flexibility. It comes with 7dBi internal antenna and upgradable SMA interface provides a customizable interface for enhanced network coverage. Attached suction cup allows quick installation on window or smooth surface.

Operation mode provides Access Point / Client Bridge /Client Router and high bandwidth up to 54Mbps. It features high transmitted output power and high receivable sensitivity. High output power and high sensitivity extends range and coverage to reduce the roaming between Access Points to ensure a stable wireless connection and reduce the expense of equipment.

It supports distance control ranges from 1km to 30km (with suitable external antenna - not supplied) and RSSI indicator which enables the best transmitted and received signals for traffic communication. User can choose a suitable antenna for flexible application. This product comes with PoE injector for building in outdoor environment easily.

To protect wireless connectivity, EOC1650 encrypt wireless transmissions through 64/128-bit WEP data encryption and also supports WPA/WPA2. The MAC address filter lets you select exactly which stations should have access to your network. In addition, the User Isolation function can protect the private network between client users.

The attractive design, high performance, and array of features make EOC1650 an optimal wireless solution choice for your residence and office.

Package Content:

• 1 x 802.11b/g Long range AP/CB (EOC1650)
• 1 x PoE Injector (EPE-1212) with 24V/0.6 Power Adapter
• 1 x CD with User’s Manual
• 1 x QIG
• 1 x Metal strap
• 1 x Special screw set
• 1 x 5dBi SMA Antenna *

Features Include:

• High Speed Data Rate Up to 54Mbps
• High Output Power up to 20 dBm (ETSI)
• IEEE 802.11b/g Compliant
• Access Point/Client Bridge/Client Router multifunctional operation
• WEP, WPA, WPA2 (Encryption support TKIP/AES)
• Watertight and Weatherproof
• Wide temperature range and robust mechanical design
• Power-over-Ethernet (IEEE802.3af Compliant)
Sorry to be a pain but can someone give me their comments on the equipment listed above. i just need to know whether its worth buying a pair of these.

Thanks so much for you advice
Old 26-01-2010, 14:04   #23
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I'm confused here?? You're setting up for a client a network that you have no idea about?? You don't understand the specs of the bridge youve specified and you don't even understand the very simplistic limitations of ADSL, CAT5/6..

So why are you doing it??
Old 26-01-2010, 14:32   #24
shieldssecurity
Inactive

Quote:
I'm confused here?? You're setting up for a client a network that you have no idea about?? You don't understand the specs of the bridge youve specified and you don't even understand the very simplistic limitations of ADSL, CAT5/6..

Well actually this is the situation.

I run a Security Company and I have a customer who wants CCTV put into their barn so that they can watch the cows from their house.

The barn is about 90 metres from the house and the options are:

Run the CCTV cable from the barn to the house which means they will only be able to view from the house.

or:

Have broadband extended into the barn which means they will be able to connect the DVR to the internet and be able to log in and view from anywhere.

All i need to know is if the kit I have listed is good enough to do the job, if so I will get it all installed and contact a boffin to do all the technical stuff.

I hope I aint upset anyone but I've always said If you don't ask, you won't Know.
Old 26-01-2010, 15:01   #25
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Would've been nice for the guy to get a welcoming, understanding and non-patronising response! He is here because there are things he doesn't understand. He does security, not networks.

I guess because you do security, you have access to lots of info on security cameras. Anyway here are some wireless surveillance cams that might be what you need for the barn end of your clients set up.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=370
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 15:24   #26
Kymmy
Inactive

Then why is he sorting it out himself, if he's gonna get a "boffin" to do install then why doesn;t his "boffin" advise on the equipment due to his "boffin" being able to do a site survey that we can not.

OK here's my answers to his questions.

1# As an ex-IT professional I can not answer the question without a site survey
2# As a forum user I suppose they will do

My "attitude" is that if he's doing the job for a client then he should have been asking a professional around to do the job properly without asking on a forum
Old 26-01-2010, 15:34   #27
shieldssecurity
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Would've been nice for the guy to get a welcoming, understanding and non-patronising response! He is here because there are things he doesn't understand. He does security, not networks.

I guess because you do security, you have access to lots of info on security cameras. Anyway here are some wireless surveillance cams that might be what you need for the barn end of your clients set up.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=370
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

Quote:
Then why is he sorting it out himself, if he's gonna get a "boffin" to do install then why doesn;t his "boffin" advise on the equipment due to his "boffin" being able to do a site survey that we can not.

OK here's my answers to his questions.

1# As an ex-IT professional I can not answer the question without a site survey
2# As a forum user I suppose they will do

My "attitude" is that if he's doing the job for a client then he should have been asking a professional around to do the job properly without asking on a forum
You know, its people like you that screw up this world. I've always been taught that if you can help someone then do so.

As an "ex-IT professional", it should not take you 2 minutes to help me out but oh no !!! its too much bother.

My "boffin" is sorting out his mums funeral at the moment so I didn't really think it was suitable to ask his advice but you know after reading your thread I think I'l give him a call.

I'm so sorry to have bothered you.
Old 26-01-2010, 15:41   #28
Kymmy
Inactive

Yep, after a site survey you are perfectly correct that it would take me 2 minutes to say definately yes or no.

As for screwing the world up well that's down to the whole human race but thanks for appreciating my part in it all

You don't seem to understand that you're asking a technical question based on so extremely few facts and when asked for the facts you've shown that you understand very little based on what you are trying to do. As such if anyone says to you "YES THOSE BRIDGES WILL DO" they're actually talking out of you know where as you have not given enough info. If you are a professional cctv installer then you should appreciate that you can't give a quote over the phone or even specify that the job can/can't be done until you've seen the place
Old 26-01-2010, 15:45   #29
shieldssecurity
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymmy View Post
yep, after a site survey you are perfectly correct that it would take me 2 minutes to say definately yes or no.

As for screwing the world up well that's down to the whole human race but thanks for appreciating my part in it all :d

you don't seem to understand that you're asking a technical question based on so extremely few facts and when asked for the facts you've shown that you understand very little based on what you are trying to do. As such if anyone says to you "yes those bridges will do" they're actually talking out of you know where as you have not given enough info. if you are a professional cctv installer then you should appreciate that you can't give a quote over the phone or even specify that the job can/can't be done until you've seen the place
get a life !!!