Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | set-up of linksys WRT54G router with NTL cable modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

set-up of linksys WRT54G router with NTL cable modem

Old 05-01-2007, 16:44   #16
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: set-up of linksys WRT54G router with NTL cable modem

This is really weird as it should work, especially if it worked at a different address (presumably you were able to simply plug in swithc on and go without changing other settings), and also given you get a direct ethernet to PC connection to work.

The modem to router connection must be into the router's WAN (internet) port. It will not work on the LAN side.

Does it make any difference if you release and then reset the DHCP in the router's settings?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2007, 16:52   #17
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Just a thought, but what IP address are you getting on the PC when it is connected to the router?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 17:16   #18
mimimimi
Inactive

mimimimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again.

Firstly, Rob.
Yes, the modem to router connection is definitely going into the single 'internet' port at the back, I have that done fine.

I tried what you suggested, releasing and then resetting the DHCP in the router's settings, but it appears to make no difference.

Gareth (nice picture, BTW), I don't know how to find what IP I am getting on the PC, I did try searching for how to find it, but I am not quite sure what you meant, sorry
mimimimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 17:28   #19
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Hmm, I wonder if it could be something odd at the modem end? As you are trying to setup a network, do you have a second computer with ethernet card? If so can you connect that direct to the modem, instead of the PC you are currently using. Will that pick up an internet connection?

Remember, (suck eggs teaching time yet again), only one thing can be wired to the modem at a time, and the modem must be powered off for at least 30 seconds when swapping things over.
Old 05-01-2007, 18:04   #20
mimimimi
Inactive

Hi, my boyfriend is bringing my MacBook over tomorrow morning, as it has been at his house since Christmas - I have not tried it on this connection as yet but will give it a go then.

As soon as the guy in the store said 'it's really simple to set up' I knew it wouldn't be...
Old 05-01-2007, 19:08   #21
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

You are having many more problems than you should do. It's usually the wireless side that causes the aggro, not the basic cable connection.
Old 05-01-2007, 20:10   #22
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

As has been said before, it 'should' be working!

If your 'sister's boyfriend' got it working on NTL Cable, the only difference would be your cable modem and the ethernet cables.

Can you try swapping the cables around, eg take the cable connecting the PC to router and use it connect modem to router, and vice versa? Might give us a better view of things.

---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

You could also try using both cables between the PC and modem direct.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 21:03   #23
mimimimi
Inactive

I know, I didn't think it was supposed to be THIS roblematic. I don't know what set-up my sister and her boyfriend have got at hme, he just said he'd tak it away and make sure that it wasn't faulty, and he said that he got it to work OK with what he has.

Yes, I have swapped the cables over to make sure that there isn't a problem with either of them, I even, in vain, swapped which ends I was using, 'just in case', I was just trying any little thing by the end of it.

God only knows what the problem is, and why I am always the one to have the problems!

Could it be anything on the side of my PC? Someone suggested cloning the PC's MAC address onto the router to me, and I tried that, but it still didn't work. I feel lke I have a big stormy raincloud over my head
Old 05-01-2007, 22:02   #24
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

I would check exactly what he got working - ie was he trying NTL cable.
If so, were back to the difference being the cable modem, but I've never heard of a modem working with a PC but not a router!

One other thing to try - browse to http://192.168.100.1 (user - root, password - root) to bring up the modem diags and make a note (or screen image) of the info (obscuring the IP add). Then plug in to the router and see if you can still get to the modem config - it 'should' work even if it's not getting an external IP.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 22:31   #25
mimimimi
Inactive

HI, well, it never had an IP address on the screen, so I hope that it wasn't anything else I was supposed to obscure but here is the information as displayed - I hope this is the right screen?

Once I had connected the router up, this screen was no longer reachable, the browser just said there was a problem loading the page, as it does with any web page I try and open once the router is connected.

Old 05-01-2007, 22:37   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

You should obscure the mac address and serial number.

I'm using the same router and you should just need to plug it in and away it goes.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 22:47   #27
mimimimi
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
You should obscure the mac address and serial number.

I'm using the same router and you should just need to plug it in and away it goes.
Ah well, there must be something wrong with something I am using or doing then, it's so frustrating, I am really getting almost annoyed now, I'm tired and feeling ratty, and so I am off to bed. Maybe one of the shoemaker's elves will come and fix it for me overnight? If not I will just have to check back in the morning and see if anyone else has some idea as to what it might be, otherwise the whole lot is going out of the window...
Old 05-01-2007, 22:58   #28
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Don't you have to register PC's with NTL cable? As in registering a pc to the account? Or is this just STB's?

You could try cloning the MAC address of the pc that connects to the internet fine. There are normally options to do just this within the routers own config.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 23:05   #29
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Don't you have to register PC's with NTL cable? As in registering a pc to the account? Or is this just STB's?
That is just for STBs, not Cable Modems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchi
You could try cloning the MAC address of the pc that connects to the internet fine. There are normally options to do just this within the routers own config.
I think he's tried that, looking at the stuff above, but to no avail.

I really think we need to know now if a different computer other than the one that has been used to post this thread, can connect as an alternative, direct to the modem. If that work, we know it has to be something odd between router / modem configuration. If an alternate computer won't connect then we have to suspect a very unusual weird modem fault. We've got to start ruling things oout otherwise its round and round in circles time.
Old 06-01-2007, 00:15   #30
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Just a thought... are you using a firewall such as Zone Alarm, and has it been configured to only allow connections to/from your cable modem within it's Trusted Zone (think that's what Zone Alarm refers to it as... it's been a while since I used ZA).

If you are using a software firewall on your PC, it might be worth disabling it to see if it's causing the problem.

ps - forgot to say this earlier, but to determine your IP address, you should click Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig. The IP address is listed for whichever interface you have plugged in to your router or modem at the time.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote