Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need a favour ! Pings to the cable modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need a favour ! Pings to the cable modem

Old 10-02-2007, 12:26   #16
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
Re: Need a favour ! Pings to the cable modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssDee View Post
What happens when you try?
Connection timeout :

Anyway I just physically unplugged it and rebooted it and can see the config pages again :

Do these settings look ok ?

Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
Power Level -8 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 21300000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 44 dBmV
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 12:27   #17
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

They should be fine, here is mine for comparison:

Frequency 331000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 39.0 dB
Power Level 0.4 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 34000000 Hz
Power 46.0 dBmV
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 13:42   #18
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

You must remember that when pinging your uBR that ICMP echoes have the lowest priority possible and as such will be dropped / delayed in high traffic periods or if your seg is over subscribed.

However... this is NOT true for your cable modem, pings should always be fairly consistant especially if you are hardwired. Are you using a router and if so what type? And as has been asked before; how are you physically connected to the cable modem?

What other symptoms are you experiencing? What other testing have you carried out other than ping tests?

Also what cable modem do you have?
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:03   #19
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernetic_tiger View Post
You must remember that when pinging your uBR that ICMP echoes have the lowest priority possible and as such will be dropped / delayed in high traffic periods or if your seg is over subscribed.

However... this is NOT true for your cable modem, pings should always be fairly consistant especially if you are hardwired. Are you using a router and if so what type? And as has been asked before; how are you physically connected to the cable modem?

What other symptoms are you experiencing? What other testing have you carried out other than ping tests?

Also what cable modem do you have?
Yay someone in the know !

Thanks for highlighting the QoS aspect.

" However... this is NOT true for your cable modem, pings should always be fairly consistant especially if you are hardwired. "

And yes yes yes. That is the strange bit I have been used to consistent pings to the router until recently when I was digging for a ' cause ' to some of my external network problems I started probing my internal network and was suprised to see spikes to the cable modem during peak time *STRANGE*.

To answer your questions.

1 - my router is connected to the cable modem via a dedicated length of cat5e (I'm going to go downstairs now and unplug it and use a different host and different cable to see if I experience the same problems)

2 - Router itself is hand built by myself and is around 4 years old. Its basically an embedded linux board with 3 eth ports. Primary OS is linux based which I built by taking aspects of busybox and merging them / recompiling with glibc2.2 base (an old redhat version). The OS is sucked off a piece of compact flash and straight into physical memory where I have written Shmop and Semaphore based applications and monitors. All in all a solid piece of kit.

3 - Then again it could be the router/cable so I'm off to disconnect it
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:35   #20
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Frequency 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level 14 dBmV

Channel ID 1
Frequency 25800000 Hz
Ranged Power Level 44 dBmV

I wonder why it won't let me use the 331000000Hz frequency anymore, it used to work fine but now when I set it to that and reboot the modem, it fails to boot and then reboots again, back to 339000000Hz. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Edit: why do I have a MUCH higher power level than the other two posters in here?
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 16:07   #21
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

Hi janipewter,

Your power level is a bit too high but it does not appear to be affecting SNR, as for the frquency I would not worry too much about that at this point,

If you PM me your postcode and 1st line of your address I will take a look when I get into work tonite, if you would like proof of my employment PM me your E-Mail address and I will send you an e-mail from my nice shiney new @virginmedia.co.uk address,

CT
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote