Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cash and the cashless society

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cash and the cashless society

Old 18-01-2024, 07:35   #16
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Cash and the cashless society

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Companies love people like you. You mainly use Apple Pay what do you think Apple does with that infomation now? Your buying habits are sold on to other companies, would it be that hard for the Government to get that information also?
What do you think Apple does with that information?

Apple is not selling what you buy to third parties. Why would they? First of all, it would be a major scandal and breach of data protection laws for peanuts worth of money for a company like Apple. Especially since their privacy policy explicitly states they don't store it.

Secondly, the data is worth more for them to keep to themselves. Facebook and Google don't 'sell your data', they use it to sell advertising. If they sell your data they can only sell it once. However, if they sell access to your eyeballs because only THEY have the reach to advertise product X to demographic Y then they make a business the size of Google on that.

Finally, it's not even technically how Apple Pay works. They're just a conduit between your card, the payment-processing network, and your bank. When you pay for something that transaction isn't going via Apple's servers, it's going via Mastercard/Visa/Amex just like if you were to use a contactless card. If you go into Apple Wallet and look at the transactions they like that information is coming directly from your bank which is why it doesn't always work well.

And as for the Government getting that information. How specifically would they get it? Do they send a request to the bank for your transaction history? That would work but it won't scale. They would need to automate it. That means each bank, which will have different databases and store it all differently, would need to write code to upload transactions daily/weekly to the Government. The Government would need to write code to receive that information and then store what amounts to a HUGE amount of data.

That's quite an undertaking and it won't go unnoticed. (Theoretically GCHQ could put a tap on the payment networks themselves I guess).

If the Government suspects you of something they can get your transaction information but that's different from a national database of everyone's purchases.

Besides, as with all these things, if the Government ever takes an interest in you specifically then you're screwed anyway. Paying in cash and turning off location history on your phone isn't going to stump them.

Last edited by Damien; 18-01-2024 at 07:53.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2024, 10:01   #17
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Paying in cash and turning off location history on your phone isn't going to stump them.
I think you over estimate our Government/security services
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 14:28   #18
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Banks are closing but cashpoints are still popping up and has to be within a certain distance like 3 miles or something or other, so that's still helpful.
Yes but my guess is that many of these cashpoints charge a fee.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 15:46   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
Yes but my guess is that many of these cashpoints charge a fee.
https://www.fca.org.uk/data/access-c...age-uk-2022-q2

Quote:
96.3% of the UK population are currently within 2km of a free-to-use cash access point

99.8% of the UK population are currently within 5km of a free-to-use cash access point
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 16:22   #20
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

I would think that people needing a cash point could travel that far
Old 18-01-2024, 18:24   #21
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I've not lifted cash for a long time now. I've always used my debit card to pay in shops and spend my momey and continue to do so via my contact less card. Its just a lot simpler and easier. So is Google pay. Don't even need my wallet on me.

All that unnecessary weight of change jingling in my pocket. No need for that.

Also had online banking for over 23 years. Just makes life easier.
Old 18-01-2024, 18:49   #22
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Bought a 70p scone from Thomas's today. Was in a dilemma whether it was a cheeky to pay by card, or use my emergency £10 note. I used the note and got lots of change. Not sure whether it was the right choice, been bothering me all day. Scone was good though.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 15:27   #23
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

More and more businesses would force you to pay by card for that 70p transaction and very recently, this happened to me, and for that very amount. I refused to pay by card and left the item on the counter, politely telling the lady behind the counter that I would never return. She said that if she had her way, she would have allowed payment in cash and she was happy to direct me to another shop which took cash. I mentioned it in the shop she directed me to, and the comment I received was "interesting..."

I wonder how much revenue and profit businesses which refuse cash are losing, both from the charges they pay for every card transaction to any actual reduction in people coming through the door.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 16:46   #24
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I bagged up £320 worth of coins yesterday. All gathered during the pandemic. Santander will only let me deposit a couple of bags per day. So I may open an account with Metro as they allow you to deposit as many coins as you like, unbagged and straight into a sorting machine.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 18:32   #25
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
More and more businesses would force you to pay by card for that 70p transaction
At the cashpoints I use, there's a sign: 'you will not be charged for this transaction'. Too bloody right I won't - if they start with that, I will boycott them!
Old 08-02-2024, 18:56   #26
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
At the cashpoints I use, there's a sign: 'you will not be charged for this transaction'. Too bloody right I won't - if they start with that, I will boycott them!
Usually it's only the ones outside newsagents and the stand alone ones. Real banks machines never charge.
Old 08-02-2024, 21:42   #27
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
More and more businesses would force you to pay by card for that 70p transaction.
My local shop refuses to allow you to pay with card unless the total is at least £2.00.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 22:35   #28
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
My local shop refuses to allow you to pay with card unless the total is at least £2.00.
My local (literally next door) I can pay for any amount no matter how small (never tested how small but used for a £1 transaction) with card and I can get cash back if I need cash.

The shop at the top of the street must be £5 min transaction and no cash back.

Guess which is the busiest shop?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 22:39   #29
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I bagged up £320 worth of coins yesterday. All gathered during the pandemic. Santander will only let me deposit a couple of bags per day. So I may open an account with Metro as they allow you to deposit as many coins as you like, unbagged and straight into a sorting machine.
I use the self-service tills at Asda. Just throw in a handful of coins, they'll take what they need and give you the rest back.

Not £320 though. How the heck did you collect that during the pandemic?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 10:47   #30
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Not £320 though. How the heck did you collect that during the pandemic?
Notes only from cash machines, and then shops giving coin change, but not accepting it. It builds up quickly, so the total over 3 years is not that bad.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote