Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys Router installation on VM 4meg.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys Router installation on VM 4meg.

Old 22-12-2007, 14:38   #16
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Linksys Router installation on VM 4meg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gii View Post
Hi, Lordy.

Where do I even begin in setting all of that up? I literally have no clue where to start with setting passwords and WPA-PSK.

Simple step-by-step Instructions would be most welcomed, if it is not too much trouble.
Hi, unfortunately I don't have the standard Linksys router otherwise I could find or provide some simple instructions. I'll have a look around but if anyone else is reading this AND has the standard linksys firmware running feel free to jump in!

WPA-PSK is very simple to set up. It just involves getting a good password and setting all of your wireless devices to use the WPA-PSK option and putting in the password when asked.

---------- Post added at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

There is a bit of an art to choosing good passwords , and its worth learning about for general internet browsing etc. ( http://www.google.com/search?q=good+passwords )

One approach is to grab a completly random string from a password generator page. Personally I dont like this approach because its a pain setting up new devives or you have to carry the password on a USB stick

Another approach is to use the first letter of each word of a phrase that means something to you. eh "My Birthday Is In November not December" -> mbiinnd
Then throw in some Numbers and punctuation and maybe add a word at the end.

E.g. "mB11nnd=mYpAssword"

Another approach I use is to joint two unusual shorts words with some numbers and punctuation. (Also using capitals on anywhere BUT the first letter) eg.

"m0p+bUcket"

Once you have you password,
try to make sure you are using ethernet cable to connect to your router, if not dont worry, it just gets a little bit more exciting!

1. Open NotePad and type your Password into it, and keep it open.

2. In the browser go to the linksys setup page , select Wireless,

select

security Mode = WAP2 Personal
WPA Algorithm - TKIP (donest really matter what you choose here but I think TKIP is a bit more common)
WPA Shared Key = You Password (copy and past the password from Notepad)

Click 'Save Settings'.

Thats it ..

if you were connected by cable - pull it out and see if you can still get to different pages of your route administration screen.

if you were connected via wireless you connection will now be disabled until you set up the password in Windows. Normally just right click on the icon in the bottom right of your task bar, that represents your wireless device and select View Available networks. Then select 'Refresh Network List' and then select your network. Windows will ask for the password at which point you can copy and past in the password from Notepad.

Disclaimer : I havent got this router and I'm not running windows , but that should help rather than me "sounding off" about other aspects wireless security.

If anything went wrong, now would be a good time to make sure you have the ethernet cable to connect with. Most likely culprits are

security Mode = WAP2 Personal (Just try WPA Personal instead)

WPA Algorithm - TKIP (try AES instead).

Only change one thing at a time and re-test.
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement