Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | time for an upgrade?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

time for an upgrade?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:16   #16
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: time for an upgrade?

If you really want to see what else is out there, including hidden networks, drop back into Ubuntu and install Kismet.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2009, 14:20   #17
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

FunkyCable,

I would suggest either borrowing a router from someone and testing or if you're feeling a little ca$h rich go out and get a new one.

How old is the router? The latest firmware is 28/10/05 (version #197e7b)

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

The only thing I can find on the FAQ from Safecom that relates to SWBR-5400 and telewest (10Meg) is:

http://adsltech.com/portal/forum/for...?TID=6597&PN=6

Speeds fine through wired and slow on wireless (1.5Mpbs, All be it through wireless B connection). The safecom admin repling says it's a problem with wireless B talking to G. From reading the specifications the router is backwards compatible . OK you're never going to get 11Mbps which is the max. for wireless B standard, but I would have thought it would have been higher than 1-1.5Mbps.

This might sound daft but:
On 10Meg connection the router speed is fine wired, but to Wireless B max. 11Mbps and only getting 1.5Mbps (aprrox. 13.64%)
On 20Meg connection the router speed is fine wired,but to Wireless G max. 54Mbps and only getting 7Mbps ( approx. 12.96%)

It does sound daft, but the two percentage figures are too close to be daft.
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 14:41   #18
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

Before spending the money, just rerun your tests on the non overlapping channels 1, 6 and 11.

It could be another AP interfering or something else entirely.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 20:32   #19
funkyCable
THE FUNKIEST ON THE BOARD

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice

Noggo, thats the version I have on my Router.

The strange thing is whe nI was on 2MB I got 2mb connection via wireless.

I'll try that test that Aragon an Geoff mention this weekend and post back my results.

thanks to everybody so far for the assistance that I've received I really appreciate it.
funkyCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:02   #20
Noggo
Inactive

Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

Yep but you're using wireless g standard both at router and on laptop. Where as the person who posted on asdltech.com forum is G for router and B for laptop. I was pointing out that it was uncanny that both throughput percentages on B and G standards are near enough the same (approx. 13%) on your model of router, so it's the wireless capability of the router letting you down with a maximum throughput of around 7Mb regardless of what internet connection speed you're got.

So on 2Mb connection you're not going to see any problems, as the max throughput of the router wirelessly is 7Mb. The problem only becomes apparent when you're either got a higher speed internet connection than 7Mb or you transfer files from one network PC to another other using wireless.
Old 07-02-2009, 16:24   #21
funkyCable

Services: SERVICES FROM 26/08/05 TV XL services 2MB BROADBRAND UNLIMITED TALK PACKAGE V+ Service (Since 18
funkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nicefunkyCable is just really nice

Aragon can you help me with installing Kismet?

I have ubuntu 8.10. I tried to follow this http://mihirknows.blogspot.com/2008/...buntu-810.html but when I run sudo kismet it displays this

Code:
 sudo kismet
Launching kismet_server: //usr/bin/kismet_server
Suid priv-dropping disabled.  This may not be secure.
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie, madwifi-ng)
Enabling channel hopping.
Enabling channel splitting.
NOTICE: Disabling channel hopping, no enabled sources are able to change channel.
Source 0 (wifi): Enabling monitor mode for zd1211 source interface eth0 channel 6...
FATAL: mode get ioctl failed 95:Operation not supported
Done.
I edited the config file and uncommented the suiduser line to and entered in my username I use to login to ubuntu I then changed the source to the following source=zd1211,eth0,wifi

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Some speed tests

Old 07-02-2009, 22:53   #22
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Have a look through this old Ubuntu forum thread - it might help. Or this guide. Otherwise - pass!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:52   #23
Noggo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyCable View Post
I tried other channels but none of the others but my adaptor will not connect to the router.
Have you found out why the adapter won't connect to the router once you change with router channel? Changing and then testing other channels will be the best option, if you can't borrow a another router to test or get netstumbler / Kismet to run. Just run through all available channels and then choose the one with the best speed.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:53   #24
Aragorn
Inactive

Just tried Kismet running under BackTrack and it worked first time with my laptop. Also told me there are two other networks on my channel plus two in range on different channels (one unsecured and one using WEP!). You can't get it running on Ubuntu, try downloading either the ISO or USB install for BT3.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:30   #25
funkyCable

Hi Noggo

I log into the router and change the wireless channel I then reboot the router repair the connection but it will not connect. Any ideas?

Today when running netstumbler I saw two other networks. So I am stil on channel 11. The other netowrk that I knew about is on channel 1 and I noticed two other networks on channel 11. I just hope I can get it to work without having to buy another router.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Aragon I could not get kismet to work.
Old 08-02-2009, 15:45   #26
Noggo
Inactive

Quote:
Hi Noggo

I log into the router and change the wireless channel I then reboot the router repair the connection but it will not connect. Any ideas?

Today when running netstumbler I saw two other networks. So I am stil on channel 11. The other netowrk that I knew about is on channel 1 and I noticed two other networks on channel 11. I just hope I can get it to work without having to buy another router.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Aragon I could not get kismet to work.
I've no idea why you can't pick up the connection after you change the wireless channel. What wireless adapter card have you got, may be they have support pages or forum which would shed some light onto why.

But by the looks of it with two other local networks on 11, you're got to try and move it.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:21   #27
funkyCable

Strangely I got channel 1 working. I changed it to channel1 restarted the router. Tried to repair connection and it would not connect so I plugged the wire in so that I could connect to router and chnage the channel back and when I connected the cable the wireless seemed to connect to the router. I did some speed again I got below 10mb but it was a little improvement. There is another network on channel 1.

I tried channel 6 but it would not connect even with the wire plugged in like I managed to get channel 1 to work.

With the cable only plugged in

On channel 1 with wireless only connected.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46   #28
Noggo
Inactive

OK it's an improvement but 8Meg still isn't right. Try with other channels if you can get them to work or is there anyone you can borrow a more up to date router from to test?

I think what Popper mention over in your other thread post 13 applies http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...eck-speed.html
Old 09-02-2009, 11:19   #29
funkyCable

Unfortunately all my mates are on ASDL and the ones that are on CABLE dont have wireless routers.

I think I will just have to get a new router and possibly adaptor.

I was thinking of getting a D-LINK DKT400 N router with usb adaptor but I wanted to get soem views on it here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...-any-good.html

I cant find any reviews for this product though so not sure if its worth the £46.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:52   #30
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Unfortunately all my mates are on ASDL and the ones that are on CABLE dont have wireless routers.

I think I will just have to get a new router and possibly adaptor.

I was thinking of getting a D-LINK DKT400 N router with usb adaptor but I wanted to get soem views on it here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...-any-good.html

I cant find any reviews for this product though so not sure if its worth the £46.
Check ebuyer they have some really good routers
broadbandking is offline   Reply With Quote