Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mac on windows network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mac on windows network

Old 05-05-2007, 18:19   #16
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

Services: BT, nowhere near 8meg, phone and Sky.
bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road
Re: Mac on windows network

@ zinglebarb, i'm not sure what it can and can't see media wise, but its the latest version of Tiger all updated so one would hope.

@ danielf, fair enough, i'm sure there will be a eureka moment when i can visualise in my head how Mac works. Always coveted one but wary for a long time and some reserch before buyiing and frankly i was bored with windows.
bucketbakereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2007, 20:11   #17
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketbakereturn View Post
There's been a couple of processes here whereby Macs mantra of 'it just works' itsn't quite so true.But it is a beautiful machine and i will grow to love it i know.
... and those processes are all ones involving Windoze, eh? A system is only as good as its weakest component.

This is from the Mac's own Help system:

Quote:
Setting up a Windows computer to share files with Mac users
You can set up a Windows computer to share files with other users on your network, including Mac users.

To let users connect to a Windows computer from a Mac computer, you need to share a folder on the Windows computer.

If you have never set up the Windows computer for sharing, open My Network Places and follow the onscreen instructions to set up a home or small office network.
To share a folder, right click the folder’s icon and choose Properties. Click the Share tab and follow the onscreen instructions.
You may need to disable the Internet Connection Firewall in the Advanced pane of the device's properties.

You may need to restart the Windows computer after setting it up.

To connect to the Windows computer, users need the network address for the computer, the workgroup name, and the user name and password for the shared folder:

To see the computer’s workgroup name and computer name, open the System control panel, then click the Computer Name tab.
To see the names of user accounts available on the computer, open the User and Groups control panel.
To see the IP address and DNS name of a Windows XP computer, look in the Details pane of the Explorer. You may need to open the Network Connection control panel and select the connection you’re using. The information appears in the Explorer Bar.
I've never connected to a Windows machine (except through Virtual PC but that was all set up as part of the installation process so I don't know how it did it).

I do suspect however that sharing at the level of the drive itself might be the issue. Have you experimented with sharing a specific folder yet?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 20:56   #18
kfridge
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV(M), Phone, Broadband(2MB) 2MB broadband
kfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to kfridge

I'm guessing that the share for C: is the default administrative share? If so, then this doesn't work.

What you need to do (and to make it easier, turn off simple file sharing in the folder options) is share individual folders that you want to transfer data from.

To connect to the shares to transfer the files, click go/connect to server (or shortcut command+k) and type smb/ipaddress

the default windows workgroup is WORKGROUP so leave that as is (unless you have changed it) and enter the user details. This then brings up a dialogue box from where you can select which shares you connect to...
kfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 21:21   #19
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road

@ kfridge/Chris T

ok i'll reduce the size of the share down to the folders i want.

the workgroup name is changed but on the mac aswell.

simple file sharing is turned off and afaik i'm sure i've also turned off any firewall options in the Advanced pane.

the pics are a great help

Cheers guys this straightens the process out better and although i've seen some of those insructions before on the site they came from, its always better to have people who've done it tell u.

Will let u know Ta
Old 05-05-2007, 21:29   #20
kfridge
Inactive

kfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of light

no probs...let me know if you still have problem...i have this set up as home for occasional file transfer
Old 05-05-2007, 21:29   #21
zing_deleted

how do you read to?
Old 05-05-2007, 21:38   #22
kfridge
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
how do you read to?
edited my reply as you are connected via smb so the ntfs issue, isn't!
Old 05-05-2007, 21:47   #23
zing_deleted

did you hear the one about write only memory
Old 05-05-2007, 21:59   #24
kfridge
Inactive

Old 05-05-2007, 23:17   #25
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
... and those processes are all ones involving Windoze, eh? A system is only as good as its weakest component.
Yeah right, blame windoze... When I need to copy from one mac to another at work, my machines will frequently not find the others. A can see B but not the other way round. Try blaming that on windoze...

And why is this wonderful OS so crap at timekeeping? I've on many occasions overwritten a file 10 times over an hour, yet the time stamp remains unaltered. Very handy if you rely on the time stamp to choose between files . Only if you actually click on the item in a directory does the time stamp get updated. If you're lucky a time-ordered directory in another application will follow suit, but that's if you're lucky...

OS-X is nice-ish, but my bug-list of OS X is quite a bit longer than my Windoze bug-list. And I've been using both of them for quite a few years.
Old 05-05-2007, 23:49   #26
zing_deleted

Its nice to see someone who has to use Mac actually give a veiw on it from a none fanboy perspective
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06   #27
kfridge
Inactive

Indeed it is...I've been using both Mac's and PC's for quite a while and they both have their good and bad points. Personally I can't be doing with those that have a need to diss either platform just for the sake of it, in my experiece those that do have rarely spent any time eith the platform they have a gripe with!
Old 06-05-2007, 14:16   #28
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

afternoon all

well this morning it worked. It seems a more scalpel approach to moving files is the way to go. I would have like to be able to browse where i wish on my own hard drive but c'est la vie.

so all thats left is to move my favourites, my email and link the mac to the xp laptop connected to the printer. wee buns.
Old 06-05-2007, 15:20   #29
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Bucket, which windows version you running??? As I've got similar problems but this is to Vista and vista together with Samba (which is the MAC file sharing system) do not want to connect at all to eachother.

Mac to XP SP2 works fine for me I nicked 10gb of mp3's from my missus' machine.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 15:24   #30
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

its XP SP2 Home on the desktop and Pro on the wife's laptop. Wish u luck with Vista. Another reason i took on the mac, didn't have the patience to wait until the first service pack makes it a little more reliable and compatible with hardware.

what result have u got specifying the ip on the mac of the Vista machine ur connecting to?