Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | bbc Sports Personality of the year 2008

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

bbc Sports Personality of the year 2008
View Poll Results: Vote for your BBC sports personality of the year
Rebecca Adlington 1 11.11%
Nicole Cooke 1 11.11%
Chris Hoy 1 11.11%
Rebecca Romero 0 0%
Bradley Wiggins 0 0%
Ben Ainslie 0 0%
Christine Ohuruogu 0 0%
Lewis Hamilton 2 22.22%
Joe Calzaghe 4 44.44%
Andy Murray 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2008, 09:32   #16
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Re: bbc Sports Personality of the year 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
So if you were in Hamiltons car you could have beat Massa to the championship as well???
nope, but if i was as good as massa and was in Hamilton's car then I would have finished second in the championship.

If on the other hand I had Hamilton's car AND a german mate who probably has some friends at mercedes, who drops 15 seconds on the last corner of his lap, pulling over to allow me to pass through, then I would have finished first in the championship!
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35   #17
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
I'd say Calzage. Why is Amir Khan not on the list? Not saying I'd vote for him but I know plenty that would.

What, Amir 'glass chin' Khan? I don't think he's more deserving than any person on that list by some distance.
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55   #18
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
So if you were in Hamiltons car you could have beat Massa to the championship as well???
so he won a 2 horse race, big deal
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 13:47   #19
ShaneC
cf.addict

ShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about themShaneC has a spectacular aura about them

pfft, where are the darts players? true sports heroes.
ShaneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 14:58   #20
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
Well I have to agree that there are more personalities in darts then other sports. Thats the problem with this award, personality gets mixed up with 'have they won something lately' or 'are they in a mainstream sport'.
Old 02-12-2008, 19:04   #21
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
nope, but if i was as good as massa and was in Hamilton's car then I would have finished second in the championship.

If on the other hand I had Hamilton's car AND a german mate who probably has some friends at mercedes, who drops 15 seconds on the last corner of his lap, pulling over to allow me to pass through, then I would have finished first in the championship!
wow - that's a serious beef against Hamilton there!! Just so you know, over the last few seasons, FIA has changed its meaning to Ferrari International Aid, meaning any decision involving Ferrari seemed to go Ferraris way. So first off, Hamilton had that to condend with.

Secondly, his German 'friend' who you feel 'pulled over' was actually on Dry tyres in increasingly wet (becoming downpour) condition. I challenge you to put 700bhp on a very wet road on tyres that have around 10% of the grip they would in conditions they were designed for and keep the car in a straight line, let alone getting over the finish line.
Old 02-12-2008, 19:15   #22
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_drinks_alot View Post
that's a joke right thay put in so much hard work to get to where thay are far more than any footballer or boxer
I am thats why I put .

Eleanor Simmonds the 13 year old who got 2 gold & a silver, not a mention

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 19:28   #23
demented
Inactive

Services: 4Mbs, V+, XLtv + premium channels.
demented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud of

I'd say Nicole Cooke. Has done plenty riding for team GB in various Road Championships, Commonwealth Games and Olympic glory. She's far more successful than any of the male cyclists we've ever produced and proven she can win different events.
demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 19:30   #24
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
wow - that's a serious beef against Hamilton there!! Just so you know, over the last few seasons, FIA has changed its meaning to Ferrari International Aid, meaning any decision involving Ferrari seemed to go Ferraris way. So first off, Hamilton had that to condend with.

Secondly, his German 'friend' who you feel 'pulled over' was actually on Dry tyres in increasingly wet (becoming downpour) condition. I challenge you to put 700bhp on a very wet road on tyres that have around 10% of the grip they would in conditions they were designed for and keep the car in a straight line, let alone getting over the finish line.
I am well aware of the tyres he was running. Come on, his german mate drove the previous lap in the wet at a much faster pace, and even if you allow for a bit more tyre wear, i dont recall the weather becoming worse for that final lap - and definately not changing into a downpour as compared to the previous lap. Even the commentators were suprised that he had lost so much time in the last corner. The car didnt spin out of control, to me it looked like he virtually came to a standstill. He probably has free Mercedes servicing for life as a result of his inability to finish the lap at a reasonable pace even for a car with dry tyres in the rain.
Old 02-12-2008, 19:34   #25
demented
Inactive

Services: 4Mbs, V+, XLtv + premium channels.
demented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud of

Hmmm that's very strange mo because earlier in the race there was bad weather and the cars that were worst affected were Toyotas. So bad infact that Glock's team mate was sliding around like crazy and nearly took off a couple of the competitors (which would have been very handy for hamilton). It was a crazy gamble but the same behaviour had been observed earlier in the race: the toyotas were appalling in those conditions.
demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 19:38   #26
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented View Post
Hmmm that's very strange mo because earlier in the race there was bad weather and the cars that were worst affected were Toyotas. So bad infact that Glock's team mate was sliding around like crazy and nearly took off a couple of the competitors (which would have been very handy for hamilton). It was a crazy gamble but the same behaviour had been observed earlier in the race: the toyotas were appalling in those conditions.
Did you see the time he put in for is last but one lap..... again in the rain? Going into that last corner he was going around the track faster tham Hamilton, who made no real gain from his second to last lap to his last.

Anyway, I dont think Hamilton deserved the championship and, bringing the subject back on topic, I definately don't think he deserves to win Sports Personality of the Year. His dad showed more personality, maybe he should be on the list.
Old 02-12-2008, 20:48   #27
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Poll added with OP's permission
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 00:09   #28
yesman

Good to see the Beeb recognise one of football's "gentlemen*

Quote:
Sir Bobby Charlton will be honoured with the 2008 BBC Sports Personality's Lifetime Achievement award on Sunday.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_a...ar/7775752.stm
Old 14-12-2008, 00:26   #29
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
The two true sporting hero's of darts were Gryff Rhys Jones and Mel Smith's, Fat Belly and Eee Fat Gut-Bucket in their portrayal of a "drinking darts match" in Not the Nine o'clock News, Brilliant stuff.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 00:47   #30
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman View Post
Good to see the Beeb recognise one of football's "gentlemen*

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_a...ar/7775752.stm
Truly an iconic hairstyle.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote