Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. I

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010) Vol. I
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:37   #2956
ncfc1902
cf.addict

ncfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond reputencfc1902 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I've read a few posts on here about SKY potentially moving some sports from SS1 & SS2 onto SS3 & SS4.
As yet I have not seen any confirmation from VM or Sky that just Sky Sports HD 1 & 2 will be carried on VM. All we know is that Sky have to offer SS HD 1 & 2 to VM. There is every chance Virgin will secure all Sky Sports HD channels as part of any carriage deal.
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15   #2957
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Question Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I have always believe to make a ' positive ' argument regarding VM, but l must say, that this spending millions on advertising VM, is not a worthwhile waste of money.
There are always people on here claiming a lack of information from VM. Many potential customers may be unaware of what is available to them from VM and so advertising on the terrestrial channels seems like a reasonable investment to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
The only way that VM are going to get more customers is to introduce more channels, especially HD channels to the network, it is ok for VM saying we do have 'ON DEMAND', but to get more customers, they must introduce more channels, and just +1 channels, as all these are is a repeat of the original.

VM is a broadcastor, but it must try and get in line in Sky, otherwise they will be second best.
Obviously having a similar channel line-up to Sky, perhaps with some exclusive channels, will make VM more saleable and they are moving towards matching Sky on HD, sports and movies especially with the added capacity being introduced through the NGTV technology.

In addition, VM need to highlight the differences between passively receiving a signal from a satellite and having a bi-directional high speed connection to the source. Quite a lot of functionality that is available on VM can't, by its nature, be provided via Sky, even with the limited and inconvenient dial-up facility on Sky boxes.

VM also need to cable up more areas. Their big disadvantage is that they don't have the 98% coverage footprint that Sky have.

So the question is, how should VM spread their investment in order to increase their customer base? More 'Coming soon ...' SD and HD channels, more 'Coming soon ...' TVoD, more advertising and more cabling so that more customers are 'Coming soon ...' which in turn will pay for more investment? Let's hope the VM management can figure out the apportionment.

Note how I cleverly brought 'Coming soon ...' into that to avoid being flamed for being off topic!

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
MB or maybe DF, I am by no means an avid sports fan but something has been niggling away at me.

When we get the Sky sports 1 & 2 HD is there anything to stop Sky moving certain programmes traditionally shown on Sky Sports 1 & 2 on to Sky Sports 3 & 4? Sky wouldn't do anything thing sneaky like moving certain football matches away from the HD channels we are scheduled to get would they?
I don't know how Sky Sports is packaged but could such a move affect Sky's own customers who only have SS1 & SS2?
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Old 05-05-2010, 10:20   #2958
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
MB or maybe DF, I am by no means an avid sports fan but something has been niggling away at me.

When we get the Sky sports 1 & 2 HD is there anything to stop Sky moving certain programmes traditionally shown on Sky Sports 1 & 2 on to Sky Sports 3 & 4? Sky wouldn't do anything thing sneaky like moving certain football matches away from the HD channels we are scheduled to get would they?
Sorry Jo, only just noticed this post..

As others may of said.. if Sky move anything to SS3 or 4, then Ofcom will make those channels part of the rate card and "must offer" rule.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:27   #2959
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

This weekend's live Premiership football is on Sky Sports 1 & 3 (HD1 & HD3)
Old 05-05-2010, 10:46   #2960
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
In addition, VM need to highlight the differences between passively receiving a signal from a satellite and having a bi-directional high speed connection to the source. Quite a lot of functionality that is available on VM can't, by its nature, be provided via Sky, even with the limited and inconvenient dial-up facility on Sky boxes.
I don't think VM do this anymore. They used to take a feed from Sky direct but I think it is now sourced from a sat feed. There were posts about this a few years ago when everyone noticed a drop in PQ as a result
Old 05-05-2010, 11:07   #2961
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
I don't think VM do this anymore. They used to take a feed from Sky direct but I think it is now sourced from a sat feed. There were posts about this a few years ago when everyone noticed a drop in PQ as a result
I think Felim_Doyle is talking about the return path on cable vs just getting a signal from a satellite overall, not Sky Sports/movies
Old 05-05-2010, 11:31   #2962
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilermal43 View Post
Maybe the Advertising is just the beginning of more announcements coming? who knows. I am sure VM wouldn't be spending more money than it did last year on advertising if it were not committed in following it up with more SD/HD channels.
Virgins advertising has great style but they completely misses the message. In their latest Hd t.v campaign it looks great and tells you hd is free but doesn't tell you all the channels you get free.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41   #2963
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Because the HD channels you get included depend on the TV package you have
Old 05-05-2010, 13:06   #2964
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
Virgins advertising has great style but they completely misses the message. In their latest Hd t.v campaign it looks great and tells you hd is free but doesn't tell you all the channels you get free.
There is a clue from the content demonstrated that you will get a a selection of entertainment, drama, sports and movies. If you are on the XL TV package, you will get all of the available HD content, broadcast programming and TVoD, at no extra cost. However, as Virgin Media are acquiring additional HD content on an almost weekly basis at the moment, they would have to rerecord the adverts every few weeks in order to list the exact current channel line-up.

I just received a 'Dear Occupier' generic letter from VM offering a '2 for £23' telephone and HD TV service which, no doubt, is a national campaign to accompany the TV advertising. It cites the availability of 160 digital channels and shows a sample of 13 channel logos. It also shows logos for 12 HD channels, four Catch Up TV channels and Sky Sports and Sky Movies logos but does not indicate how many of these are currently available as this is a moving target at the moment.

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I think Felim_Doyle is talking about the return path on cable vs just getting a signal from a satellite overall, not Sky Sports/movies
Indeed he is! Now if only I had used the phrase 'return path' in the first place!
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Old 05-05-2010, 13:07   #2965
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Because the HD channels you get included depend on the TV package you have
Which is why HD isn't exactly always free on virgin media since you have to subscribe to a more expensive package to be able to view all the HD channels they offer you can see that as paying for them
Old 05-05-2010, 13:08   #2966
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
This weekend's live Premiership football is on Sky Sports 1 & 3 (HD1 & HD3)
Also a match on espn!

http://tv.espn.co.uk/schedule/
Old 05-05-2010, 15:18   #2967
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Also a match on espn!

http://tv.espn.co.uk/schedule/
Yes we all new that, the matches on $ky (2) and ESPN (1) will be announced after tonights big game at Manchester City.
Old 05-05-2010, 15:56   #2968
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
There is a clue from the content demonstrated that you will get a a selection of entertainment, drama, sports and movies. If you are on the XL TV package, you will get all of the available HD content, broadcast programming and TVoD, at no extra cost. However, as Virgin Media are acquiring additional HD content on an almost weekly basis at the moment, they would have to rerecord the adverts every few weeks in order to list the exact current channel line-up.
Well it doesn't stop Sky advertising all their 32 channels regardless of whether you have the package or not, they advertise all of them and then put the legal stuff in the small print. Virgin could do that. Virgin didn't even advertise the fact they have exclusivity of Living HD on their advert.
Old 05-05-2010, 16:06   #2969
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
Well it doesn't stop Sky advertising all their 32 channels regardless of whether you have the package or not, they advertise all of them and then put the legal stuff in the small print. Virgin could do that. Virgin didn't even advertise the fact they have exclusivity of Living HD on their advert.
I've seen LIVING HD advertised on LIVING (SD) saying available on channel 110 on VM, no mention of Sky obviously
Old 05-05-2010, 16:41   #2970
tvtimes
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I've seen LIVING HD advertised on LIVING (SD) saying available on channel 110 on VM, no mention of Sky obviously
The new main one that aired during BGT would obviously have had thye highest possible audience and whilst the advert was visually great the message was rubbish.
Closed Thread