Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users

Old 19-06-2009, 21:18   #271
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
i have mentioned this before in other threads, vm cannot ,will not and never will target bit torrent users or any other type of torrent user without gov legislation
the technology isn't avaailable yet to monitor everyones connection all the time everytime they connect which they will have to

i bought a buffalo nas drive at christmas which has bittorrent pre installed into the firmware so how can it be illegal to use it

p.s all my torrents are fine
Cannot and will never target torrent users?

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...s,867329.shtml

Quote:
The new service reflects the shared commitment of Virgin Media and Universal Music to keep step with growing demand for online music in an increasingly digital world. In parallel, the two companies will be working together to protect Universal Music's intellectual property and drive a material reduction in the unauthorized distribution of its repertoire across Virgin Media's network.

This will involve implementing a range of different strategies to educate file sharers about online piracy and to raise awareness of legal alternatives. They include, as a last resort for persistent offenders, a temporary suspension of internet access. No customers will be permanently disconnected and the process will not depend on network monitoring or interception of customer traffic by Virgin Media

Given that that p2p and torrents are the biggest problem, I am not sure you're statement has merit. Granted the above states that there won't be any traffic interception, because it may be illegal. However there are other means

It may have looked that way in the past, but there looks to be a clear move by the Government to force ISP's to make such activity difficult for file sharers.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2009, 21:26   #272
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
the technology isn't avaailable yet to monitor everyones connection all the time everytime they connect which they will have to
It is, VM have it installed and shaping the DSL platform along with some of it monitoring and recording traffic stats on the cable platform. Doesn't matter whether the torrents are legal or not. Slowing torrents down is perfectly doable.

Anyway a few vendors of such equipment:

http://www.proceranetworks.com/index.php
http://www.allot.com/
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7045/index.html
http://www.arbornetworks.com/
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 21:34   #273
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadbandings View Post
It is, VM have it installed and shaping the DSL platform along with some of it monitoring and recording traffic stats on the cable platform. Doesn't matter whether the torrents are legal or not. Slowing torrents down is perfectly doable.

I seem to remember the name Allot associated with VM?
Old 19-06-2009, 21:39   #274
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

does this equipment tell vm what the content is of all it's customers who are downloading all of the time ?
i ask because if vm are targeting torrent users then they will have monitor all traffic at all times and the content, and that is illegal, exactly the same as if i tried to monitor your connection and what you were downloading
alot of bitorrents files are legal how can they distinguish between the legal and illegal? and why should a respected manufacturer like buffalo supply bittorrent built into it's firmware ?
Old 19-06-2009, 21:45   #275
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
does this equipment tell vm what the content is of all it's customers who are downloading all of the time ?
i ask because if vm are targeting torrent users then they will have monitor all traffic at all times and the content, and that is illegal, exactly the same as if i tried to monitor your connection and what you were downloading
alot of bitorrents files are legal how can they distinguish between the legal and illegal? and why should a respected manufacturer like buffalo supply bittorrent built into it's firmware ?
The legal aspect I am not sure - but given that VM have agreed a deal with Universal music, it should'nt be too difficult to have a database of their titles, and match them against p2p/non encrypted torrent titles.

The issue here is not whether p2p or torrent software is illegal, its what is being shared that could be.
Old 19-06-2009, 21:51   #276
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
The legal aspect I am not sure - but given that VM have agreed a deal with Universal music, it should'nt be too difficult to have a database of their titles, and match them against p2p/non encrypted torrent titles.
the way i see it is unless they the complete backing of the law to monitor all connections and the content of the dl then i think they are onto a hiding to nothing
and lets face it vm can't afford to lose any customers
Old 19-06-2009, 21:57   #277
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
the way i see it is unless they the complete backing of the law to monitor all connections and the content of the dl then i think they are onto a hiding to nothing
No ISP can afford to loose any customers - that's a no brainer. Sky have signed up to a similar deal, and others may follow if it proves to be popular. Sky will have to have the same agreement as VM have, in that they agree to deal with the file sharers.

It may come down to a handful of smaller ISP's not getting on the bandwagon, and that's fine you could go there.
Old 19-06-2009, 22:10   #278
martyh

Quote:
No ISP can afford to loose any customers - that's a no brainer. Sky have signed up to a similar deal, and others may follow if it proves to be popular. Sky will have to have the same agreement as VM have, in that they agree to deal with the file sharers.

It may come down to a handful of smaller ISP's not getting on the bandwagon, and that's fine you could go there.
i'm not bothered either way about the file sharing side of things it's the principle behind it that bothers me more than anything
call me paranoid but it's like giving the public a new toy (the internet )and then breaking it with restrictive laws because a few narrow minded men in suits have lost a few quid and instead of working with the new tech they try to take it away.."because we cannot have people saving money ,we want it all"
Old 19-06-2009, 22:17   #279
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
i'm not bothered either way about the file sharing side of things it's the principle behind it that bothers me more than anything
call me paranoid but it's like giving the public a new toy (the internet )and then breaking it with restrictive laws because a few narrow minded men in suits have lost a few quid and instead of working with the new tech they try to take it away.."because we cannot have people saving money ,we want it all"
Ahh, I was wondering when this part of the thread would turn into the justification of file sharing bit.

Look, this subject has been done to death on a different thread. Whether we like it or not, a deal has been done with a rights holder, and they are asking for some action on illegal fire sharers. VM have gone as far as saying they won't disconnect persistent abusers....but then they don't need to.

How many times will it take a persistently suspended account move to another ISP?
Old 19-06-2009, 22:22   #280
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I seem to remember the name Allot associated with VM?
It's the Omega Series Service Gateway that's attached to the DSL network and the Net Enforcer that monitors on the cable one.
Old 19-06-2009, 22:23   #281
martyh

Quote:
Ahh, I was wondering when this part of the thread would turn into the justification of file sharing bit.

Look, this subject has been done to death on a different thread. Whether we like it or not, a deal has been done with a rights holder, and they are asking for some action on illegal fire sharers. VM have gone as far as saying they won't disconnect persistent abusers....but then they don't need to.

How many times will it take a persistently suspended account move to another ISP?
your absolutley right this has been done to death time to finish it
Old 19-06-2009, 22:25   #282
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
This is totally irrelevant. Legal or illegal Bittorrent eats bandwidth, especially upstream.

Of course BT itself isn't questionable, it's used in a number of legal content delivery systems. BT is a protocol same as HTTP, Gnutella, FastTrack, NNTP, etc.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Quote:
Legal backing is irrelevant, do you mean if there were a legal compulsion?

Virgin will never, ever monitor content of downloads themselves apart from the protocol being used. To do anything else leaves them open to liability for what customers do.

Many other ISPs shape Bittorrent amongst other things.
Old 19-06-2009, 22:26   #283
fizgog
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD , VM Phone [XL], VM BB [M]
fizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to allfizgog is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeyounTDB View Post
Well, they've started.

Every time I load up a bit torrent client and start to download something- even a frickin LEGAL FILE - my net connection gets shut off.

Virgin have just lost a client.

Unless someone knows a way around this? It's intolerable.
If you use something like uTorrent then make sure you turn on protocol encryption, this should make your speed go back up, it did for me
fizgog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 22:28   #284
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Downloading copyright material over BT isn't 'saving money' any more than stealing something from a store is saving money. While it's not something physical and you aren't denying other people the usage the point is the same regarding 'saving money'.

It doesn't save me any money that's for sure.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgog View Post
If you use something like uTorrent then make sure you turn on protocol encryption, this should make your speed go back up, it did for me
Weyoun has an issue somewhere with something not being able to handle the amount of connections BT opens, nothing to do with protocol encryption or otherwise. If speeds improve on the cable network through using encryption it's thanks to the encryption avoiding throttling by other ISPs on your peers. If ISPs can't detect encrypted BT they need to invest a few more quid in updates on their shaping hardware anyways
Old 19-06-2009, 22:37   #285
martyh

Quote:
This is totally irrelevant. Legal or illegal Bittorrent eats bandwidth, especially upstream.

Of course BT itself isn't questionable, it's used in a number of legal content delivery systems. BT is a protocol same as HTTP, Gnutella, FastTrack, NNTP, etc.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Legal backing is irrelevant, do you mean if there were a legal compulsion?

Virgin will never, ever monitor content of downloads themselves apart from the protocol being used. To do anything else leaves them open to liability for what customers do.

Many other ISPs shape Bittorrent amongst other things.
yes that's what i mean "legal compulsion"