Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Funding of the BBC

Old 02-09-2020, 20:46   #271
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]No - Software Engineering doesn't attract lefties.
Wouldn't you classify me as a leftie?
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2020, 21:40   #272
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Quote:
[COLOR="Blue"]No - Software Engineering doesn't attract lefties.
Pinko! (from someone with 46 years IT experience, 15 of which was programming...)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 22:16   #273
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Studied at Durham?

Anyway, I've no evidence of your leanings.

On the basis of my son, Durham didn't breed sarcos either.

Anyway, the BBC looks like it's going to be a more evenly balanced (if not boring) place.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 22:26   #274
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Studied at Durham?

Anyway, the BBC looks like it's going to be a more evenly balanced (if not boring) place.
As the joke going round Universities in March went

Quote:
Hearing rumours that Dominic Cummings only travelled to see family in Durham because he'd been rejected by his family in Oxford and Cambridge
Also, I have two friends who work at Durham (one as an Associate Dean, one as a Senior IT Manager), and they contradict your position (being sarcy AF).

Last edited by Hugh; 02-09-2020 at 22:29.
Old 02-09-2020, 22:57   #275
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
As the joke going round Universities in March went

Also, I have two friends who work at Durham (one as an Associate Dean, one as a Senior IT Manager), and they contradict your position (being sarcy AF).
Well, if they're friends of yours, no surprise. How do they think the BBC should be funded?

Old 03-09-2020, 08:50   #276
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Well, if they're friends of yours, no surprise. How do they think the BBC should be funded?
Never came up in conversation, like with most people - this is the only place I have ever discussed it...

btw, well done in joining the "sarcos"...
Old 03-09-2020, 09:24   #277
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Studied at Durham?

I was just saying I don't think there is a strong collation between political views and who gets into software development. Anecdotally it may be that people who go into STEM are less likely to be left-wing than those who go into the creative arts but maybe more left-wing than those who do humanities. But that could just be the stereotype.

Personally I think demographics largely override what any one person's interests are.

Remember Silicon Valley is a pretty liberal place which is why the Republicans are paranoid that big tech companies are censoring them.

Quote:
What does sarcos mean? Is that some sort of regional dialect? I don't like this corruption of the English language. (ok, that's pretty sarcastic).
Old 03-09-2020, 09:36   #278
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I think that those who go into to any job from uni tend to be left leaning. It's while in the job that attitudes can change.

If you are in a job that uses public funding you are more likely to want more tax and better sharing of the wealth.

If you are in a job that "generates wealth" you don't want all those "lazy" arty types taking more of your hard earned cash. You may be OK to give as you want but not have it taken.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:43   #279
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I think that those who go into to any job from uni tend to be left leaning.
until they start earning money, good money and see themselves paying back all those loans, and all those taxes and then it's usually a swerve to the right.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:46   #280
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I wonder if there are statsitics on how university educated people vote broken down by age? It's usually one or the other.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:55   #281
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

In the 70s American Universities were found to have 3:1 balance of liberal
over conservative academics. Now it ranges from 10:1 to 60:1 depending on which University you look at.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:17   #282
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I think that those who go into to any job from uni tend to be left leaning. It's while in the job that attitudes can change.

If you are in a job that uses public funding you are more likely to want more tax and better sharing of the wealth.

If you are in a job that "generates wealth" you don't want all those "lazy" arty types taking more of your hard earned cash. You may be OK to give as you want but not have it taken.
I, like many of my cohort, were Labour leaning when we first started work.

Within 5 years, having a house and some luxury goods (colour TV in those days), I saw the folly of the TUC strike/driven Labour party and switched to the Conservatives whom I can and do criticise but to whom I still subscribe.

Until just a few years ago, the BBC seemed to do a reasonable job in terms of current affairs. I'm not sure when the turning point was - prolly at the start of Cameron's reign - but it is clear to me at least that their compulsory funding cannot be justified unless the new DG sorts this woke nonsense and leftie bias out.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:26   #283
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

"Woke nonsense" & "lefty bias" = "stuff that does not conform to, and support, my world view, so is very bad"...

You weaken your argument by using derogatory terms, rather than using fact-based reasoning, imho - ymmv

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
In the 70s American Universities were found to have 3:1 balance of liberal
over conservative academics. Now it ranges from 10:1 to 60:1 depending on which University you look at.
Interesting article in that subject from 2017.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...out-what-means
Old 03-09-2020, 11:34   #284
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
"Woke nonsense" & "lefty bias" = "stuff that does not conform to, and support, my world view, so is very bad"...
It is the "wokes", Liberals and Lefties that are restricting opinions etc. Those that criticise them, are criticising that restricting of opinions. They are not trying to stop them from having an opinion.
It's quite ridiculous watching the News nowadays. Only one side of an argument is going to be presented. Any counter argument is rarely explored by the journalists.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:51   #285
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
It is the "wokes", Liberals and Lefties that are restricting opinions etc. Those that criticise them, are criticising that restricting of opinions. They are not trying to stop them from having an opinion.
It's quite ridiculous watching the News nowadays. Only one side of an argument is going to be presented. Any counter argument is rarely explored by the journalists.
Exactly. What's more, those that criticise them with an accurate description such as "woke" and "lefty" draw Hugh's disapproval.