Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 03-04-2013, 18:51   #271
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Let's not forget in all of this that IDS did not stand up and make a claim about anything. He was ambushed by someone who was pretty soon afterwards discovered to be lying.
Well he is the one who is advocating this new rate. It doesn't matter if the person asking if IDS could live on £53 a week is lying about how much he personally lives on as he isn't the one advocating that people do it.

Quote:
A fairer way of looking at it would be to see IDS affirming he would be able to cope on equal terms with the man in question (terms which, as we now know, are a little less straitened than £53). Or, better still, you could take his words at naked face value. Yes, you *could* live on £53 for a week, if you *had* to, because if you *had* to, then you would simply prioritise what you need to stay alive and buy that first. Everything else, even some of the things you might class as 'essential' such as internet access, become extras that you may or may not be able to afford.
But he is not arguing people should live on £53 a week plus additional cash on the side. He is saying £53 a week excluding other benefits that do not include energy or heating costs (as far as I am aware).
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 18:54   #272
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Let's not forget in all of this that IDS did not stand up and make a claim about anything. He was ambushed by someone who was pretty soon afterwards discovered to be lying.

He answered a direct question and said "If I had to, I could". Within that short sentence there is room for endless interpretation, and it seems to me that a lot of people are interpreting it a little generously, making very long lists of 'essentials' and then proving with paper and pencil that you can't live that list of 'essentials' on £53.

A fairer way of looking at it would be to see IDS affirming he would be able to cope on equal terms with the man in question (terms which, as we now know, are a little less straitened than £53). Or, better still, you could take his words at naked face value. Yes, you *could* live on £53 for a week, if you *had* to, because if you *had* to, then you would simply prioritise what you need to stay alive and buy that first. Everything else, even some of the things you might class as 'essential' such as internet access, become extras that you may or may not be able to afford.

I have no doubt that someone as intelligent and resourceful as IDS, especially with his military training, *could* live on £53 if he *had* to.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Incidentally, I've been going back over our online grocery receipts (as we get everything delivered) and a fair estimate of our average weekly grocery bill, ie. all our eating and cleaning, is somewhere between £80 and £90 for a family of five.
As far as i'm concerned the argument always goes back to the original intent of the benefits system imo .People should get what they need not what they want and that argument should be just as valid in 2013 as it was in 1940
Old 03-04-2013, 18:54   #273
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Again this further convinces me that cooking should be a core subject at school from year 7 until you leave. The Government loves the idea of everyone learning to program at school but surely cooking is far more beneficial. Nowhere near everyone needs to know how to program but nearly everyone would benefit from being able to cook.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:01   #274
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

But he is not arguing people should live on £53 a week plus additional cash on the side. He is saying £53 a week excluding other benefits that do not include energy or heating costs (as far as I am aware).
putting aside the blokes gambling the bloke was saying he had £53 left after he had payed utility bills ,rent and council tax they do not come out of his £53 .So basically the only thing the bloke had to pay for to 'live' was food and he had £53 pw with which to do that

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Quote:
Again this further convinces me that cooking should be a core subject at school from year 7 until you leave. The Government loves the idea of everyone learning to program at school but surely cooking is far more beneficial. Nowhere near everyone needs to know how to program but nearly everyone would benefit from being able to cook.
agree 100% with that
Old 03-04-2013, 19:01   #275
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
So true. Being a food lover and very keen cook I've been teaching my eldest how to prepare food, cook and combine flavours etc. It really isn't difficult but I can't think of a single one of his mates (male or female) who knows or wants to know how to cook. Even in these inflationary times, a little common sense and imagination can turn relatively cheap ingredients into really good, tasty food far cheaper and more healthy than the ready meals, processed foods and takeaways so many people seem to live on these days.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:12   #276
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
So true. Being a food lover and very keen cook I've been teaching my eldest how to prepare food, cook and combine flavours etc. It really isn't difficult but I can't think of a single one of his mates (male or female) who knows or wants to know how to cook. Even in these inflationary times, a little common sense and imagination can turn relatively cheap ingredients into really good, tasty food far cheaper and more healthy than the ready meals, processed foods and takeaways so many people seem to live on these days.
Yes it is indeed shocking how many people can't cook and you only have to pass these takeaways to see the queues of people outside buying their main meal of the day.
Old 03-04-2013, 19:19   #277
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes it is indeed shocking how many people can't cook and you only have to pass these takeaways to see the queues of people outside buying their main meal of the day.
Once again, where children have been brought up by people who can't/won't cook, it's no surprise that they grow up thinking it's normal to eat junk food. Maybe that's one reason why many people say they're short of money - just check out what they have in their supermarket trollies and the amount of takeways they have.

The other day I used some carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper, water and a turkey carcass to make large saucepan of stock. Had I decided to leave the vegetables in it and added some dried pasta, rice or similar to it it would have made a lovely healthy soup for 4 adults for about a quid. It isn't rocket science.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:43   #278
tizmeinnit

Quote:

He answered a direct question and said "If I had to, I could". Within that short sentence there is room for endless interpretation, and it seems to me that a lot of people are interpreting it a little generously, making very long lists of 'essentials' and then proving with paper and pencil that you can't live that list of 'essentials' on £53.

I have no doubt that someone as intelligent and resourceful as IDS, especially with his military training, *could* live on £53 if he *had* to.

Incidentally, I've been going back over our online grocery receipts (as we get everything delivered) and a fair estimate of our average weekly grocery bill, ie. all our eating and cleaning, is somewhere between £80 and £90 for a family of five.
no this is the way that agrees with you it is only fairer for you and those who agree with you but nice try

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
As far as i'm concerned the argument always goes back to the original intent of the benefits system imo .People should get what they need not what they want and that argument should be just as valid in 2013 as it was in 1940
I agree with this 100 %

When you get any form of benefit award you get a sheet of paper stating "the minimum amount of money you need to live on" this figure has come from the government . So the council benefit cuts come on top of this so what you get in effect is the minimum amount of money you need minus the cash you lose to the council making the money you get less than what the government say you need. These figures have stayed the same ie not increase for inflation they have not been dropped by the government so people are now getting less than the government say they need
Old 03-04-2013, 19:47   #279
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
no this is the way that agrees with you it is only fairer for you and those who agree with you but nice try
How the hell is not fair .You and others maintain that IDS and his ilk cannot and would not survive on the money benefits give people ,so to prove the point put IDS on exactly the same money as a bloke in a bedsit on the dole what can possibly be unfair about that and how can you possibly disagree with it after everything you have had to say on the subject.
Old 03-04-2013, 19:52   #280
tizmeinnit

Quote:
How the hell is not fair .You and others maintain that IDS and his ilk cannot and would not survive on the money benefits give people ,so to prove the point put IDS on exactly the same money as a bloke in a bedsit on the dole what can possibly be unfair about that and how can you possibly disagree with it after everything you have had to say on the subject.
but that is not what he said

you are saying something different to Chris

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:

sorry but I missed this bit .I would steal I would not go cold or without electric I would get extra cash another way as a lot would

bare in mind Chris if you can not do what the DWP say they will take that money off you
Old 03-04-2013, 20:05   #281
martyh

Quote:
but that is not what he said

you are saying something different to Chris

OK then ,put IDS on equal terms as the bloke, still fair and still something you cannot argue with given everything you have said .
Old 03-04-2013, 20:10   #282
tizmeinnit

Quote:
OK then ,put IDS on equal terms as the bloke, still fair and still something you cannot argue with given everything you have said .
yes I can because that is not what IDS said. I would back him seeing how hard it is on JSA though as a compromise I know he could do it but it would still be a shock
Old 03-04-2013, 20:23   #283
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
yes I can because that is not what IDS said. I would back him seeing how hard it is on JSA though as a compromise I know he could do it but it would still be a shock
I reckon I could live on that for at least around 3 weeks quite easily.

If I was going back to my millions straight after that is. So any 'test' he does would be pointless.

I'm also sure he knows full well how difficult it is to live on £53 a week, but I don't think he gives a poop.
Old 03-04-2013, 20:33   #284
martyh

Quote:

I agree with this 100 %

When you get any form of benefit award you get a sheet of paper stating "the minimum amount of money you need to live on" this figure has come from the government . So the council benefit cuts come on top of this so what you get in effect is the minimum amount of money you need minus the cash you lose to the council making the money you get less than what the government say you need. These figures have stayed the same ie not increase for inflation they have not been dropped by the government so people are now getting less than the government say they need
No ,it's what some of the correspondence says ,it depends on the benefit and the actual wording is (and it is very important) "The law states this is the minimum amount you need to live on" .The wording is important because the law changes every year when inflation is taken into account .In all cases and all benefits the money is given and the recipient is free to dispose of it how they see fit if they choose to have a few cans once a week then that is up to them but that is not included in what the law says you need to live on .Simply put what the law says you need to live on is exactly what you get

JSA wording is different because by law the claimant has obligations it reads

"by income based job seekers allowance we mean the money you can get based on how much the law says you are allowed based on your means"

The devil is in the detail

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...xuD5kPx7QBTIEA

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Quote:

LOL no you can't and you know you can't .you have completely back tracked on your reply to Chris .

You know perfectly well that IDS or anyone would be able to live on the same money that bloke has because thousands do it every single day and they will continue to do it ,not easily i accept ,but they will do it
Old 03-04-2013, 20:43   #285
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

What do we mean by 'do it' exactly?

if you can't 'do it' what is supposed to happen?
are you supposed to die?

of course people can do it. some have no choice.
you might get ill. you may end up in hospital, you might be made homeless. but you can do it.

unless you die from doing it. then you have done it.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote